Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [IC]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Quin releases his spiked chain from its holding loop but keeps it coiled in his hand.

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Phar has a conversation with his own feathered companion and it too joins the aerial scouting. "Could be a trap, but I think we must investigate. Let's give our scouts a little time first. Keep a sharp eye out. Wererats are known for their stealth."

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
While following the tracks, Caerth mutters to himself. Eventually, he declares, "Must be a different wererat. Heavier, larger. Dangerous."

When they reach the house and barn, the druid whistles and calls his owl companion, briefly describing what they are looking for and asking Screech to scout the area, and the owl flies off silently. Caerth himself stands for a moment, finding the lack of animals disturbing.

"Bad feeling about this. Probably a trap," he agrees with Raius. Nevertheless, the half-orc unslings his bow, places an arrow on it loosely for easy drawing, and moves into the gulch towards the ramshackle hut.
It doesn't take long for Screech to both see and hear the group's quarry, as it glides down into the gulch. It quickly and silently wings its way back to the big druid and informs him that the wererat is sitting outside on the other side of the building. It was eating a small animal and it didn't see or hear Screech, although it was being wary. The whole process takes the bird about a minute.

Quinn releases his spiked chain from its holding loop but keeps it coiled in his hand.
"I guess we're investigating," Raius says quietly. He waits for the druid and Aureus to take the lead down into the gulch. He stays at the back of the group and guards Quinn and Phar's backs.

Phar has a conversation with his own feathered companion and it too joins the aerial scouting. "Could be a trap, but I think we must investigate. Let's give our scouts a little time first. Keep a sharp eye out. Wererats are known for their stealth."
Featar wings off high above the gulch but a gust of wind catches him awkwardly. It turns the bird over and the hawk is forced clser to the ground. It lets out a shrill call that worries Phar. The empathic link between the tow of them rings out in Phar's mind. There is fear in the hawk's mind, as it tries to gain altitude. Then a bow shot twangs and an arrow flies towards the bird. It hits the hawk right through the wing and the bird calls out to its master in agony. The hawk flaps awkwardly to the ground on the other side of the gulch.

There is a loud hissing snarl of satisfaction. The wererat comes into vew, in its hybrid form, with bow still in hand. It moves towards its intended prey. It doesn't look back towards where the group in descending the gulch, intent on the bird as its next meal. It is wearing full armor, which molds itself perfectly around its body. A wicked looking spear is slung on its back.

OOC: Bow shot vs. Featar > 1d20+13-2=28 (hit); Damage > 1d8+3=9

I rolled a 6 for Featar's Move Silently check and the wererat also beat the bird's Hide check. Feater saw the wererat but did not hear it, which threw the bird off. Screech was not seen or heard by the wererat.

Here are the rolls: COre COliseum Battle Map

If the group moves quickly and quietly, the PCs can get the drop on the wererat. Make Move Silently checks to avoid drawing the wererat's attention. The Listen DC is 1d20+10=15. The wererat's Spot is now 1d20+10+2=16, but it's so zoned in on the bird that the PCs get a +2 circumstance bonus on their own Hide checks. PCs that beat the wererat's Listen and Spot checks get to act in a surprise round. (Raius will not, however.)

[MENTION=11520]Scotley[/MENTION], make a Hide check for Feater as well. The bird gets a -2 circumstance penalty due to being scared out of its wits, however.

Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
OOC: Caerth's rolls:
Initiative: [roll0]
Move silently (plain Dex + 2 circumstance bonus): [roll1]
Hide (plain Dex + 2 circumstance bonus): [roll2]

So I guess Caerth does not get a surprise attack as he is spotted by the wererat.

Quietly the half-orc druid motions to his companions that the wererat is on the other side of the building, and he gestures for them to follow. Caerth moves surprisingly silently for such a large man, although he moves directly towards his target without hiding behind something.

Unslinging his mighty bow from his shoulder, the druid readies an arrow as he approaches the lycanthrope.

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Quinn moves forward, using what he knows of the shadows and hopes to avoid the sticks and rocks on the ground to remain unseen and unheard.

unskilled move and hide, +2 for dex, +2 for distracted quarry, single move. as he moves he puts away his spiked chain and draws his bow [comp +4; magic +1] and an arrow [I think he his done all he can this round]

move silent; hide in shadows: 1D20+4 = [15]+4 = 19; 1D20+4 = [4]+4 = 8

Scotley

Hero
Phar emits only a slight murmur of rage before gliding forward toward his fallen familiar so smoothly he seems to float rather than walk from shadow to shadow. He raises his hands ready to blast the Wererat for his perfidious attack on the hawk.

[sblock=OOC]Will use Scorching Ray once it is clear the element of surprise is lost or if the Wererat finds Featar.

[roll0] [roll1] [roll2] [roll3] [/sblock]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Phar emits only a slight murmur of rage before gliding forward toward his fallen familiar so smoothly he seems to float rather than walk from shadow to shadow. He raises his hands ready to blast the Wererat for his perfidious attack on the hawk.
The wererat doesn't see or hear Phar coming. The first ray hits its dead center in the back and knocks it off balance for a second. The second ray just misses its head.

OOC: I'm going to assume Phar won't be moving in close (within 30 ft.) unless you post otherwise. Also, Aureus is going to stay hidden and move 15 feet towards the wererat to sneak attack it in round one.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The wererat turns and snarls in defiance at the group. It takes aim at Quinn with its bow and fires two arrows towards the big gladiator. The first arrow slices Quinn's thigh but he manages to deftly dodge the second shot. The wererat discards his bow after taking his shots and with lightning quick reflexes pulls the spear off its back to prepare for the onslaught to come.

"Do your worst!" it snarls.

OOC: Bowshot #1 > 1d20+13=24 (hit), Damage > 1d8+3=8; Bowshot #2 > 1d20+8=19 (miss) [I'm assuming Quinn will be using his Dodge feat vs. the wererat]

Dang! I shouldn't have counted Aureus since she's hidden. Oh well, I made my choice.

Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Taking the wererat's words as an invitation, Caerth releases his bow's string, and an arrow flies towards the creature. Not waiting to see if it hits its mark, the half-orc druid immediately draws another arrow to follow the first.

OOC: Taking a full attack action, so 2 ranged attacks:
[roll0] for [roll1] damage
[roll2] for [roll3] damage

Scotley

Hero
Phar breaths a sigh of relief that his familiar is safe for the moment. He considers for an instant and the begins the arcane gestures and words of power that are the tools which power his magic. A swarm of shimmering motes streams from the elf wizard's slim agile fingers and engulfs Wererat. He stays where he is knowing he holds the advantage in a ranged fight.

[sblock=details]
Luminous Swarm
(Complete Mage)

Evocation [Force]
Level: Sorcerer 2, Wizard 2,
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature
Duration: 5 rounds
Saving Throw: Reflex partial
Spell Resistance: Yes

A swarm of shimmering motes streams from your fingers and engulfs your target.
You create a swarm of faintly luminous motes of pure force that engulf one creature, obscuring its vision.
If the target relies on sight, all its attacks have a 20% miss chance while the motes last.
The motes also deal 1d6 points of damage each round.
The target can attempt a Reflex save each round to avoid the damage.
[roll0]

[/sblock]

Remove ads