Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [IC]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"I can advance, arrows will be of little consequence to my armor..." Maur muses "But I would hate to be incinerated or to fall into some pit or other in this hall. Can any of you spot the traps if there are any? There are spells too, of course, but those are finite."

OOC: spike stones behind the door, spiritual weapon, advance + foundation of stone + DR 5 should keep me alright, there are also divine favor, magic vestments...I can be tanky...but I need to know about the traps :)

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth sighs.

"I can find the traps."

The half-orc druid steps forward and producing the mushroom he just picked in the other room, whispers a few druidic words at it and tosses it into the hall. Before touching the ground the mushroom grows rapidly and takes on the shape of a massive boar, which thunders down the corridor and into the door at the other end.

OOC: Spontaneously casting Summon Nature's Ally IV to summon a dire boar (with Augmented Nature's Ally it has an added +4 to Strength and Constitution).

It obviously triggers any traps in the hall and charges the door:
Dire boar: 1D20+12+2 = [20]+12+2 = 34 (crit?)
1D8+12+2 = [8]+12+2 = 22

crit confirmation: 1D20+14 = [2]+14 = 16 (I think that's a succes versus the door?)
Additional damage: D8 = [8] = 8

I suspect that door is destroyed. :D

OOC: Current combat stats Caerth:
AC 20
HP 58/58

Spells:
Level 0: (6) create water (x2), detect magic, detect poison, purify food and drink, read magic
Level 1: (5) cure light wounds (x2), entangle, speak with animals, obscuring mist
Level 2: (4) lesser restoration, barkskin, gust of wind, warp wood
Level 3: (4) call lightning, cure moderate wounds, plant growth, dominate animal
Level 4: (3) scrying, ice storm

Wild Shapes (small, medium, large): 2/3

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"I can advance, arrows will be of little consequence to my armor..." Maur muses "But I would hate to be incinerated or to fall into some pit or other in this hall. Can any of you spot the traps if there are any? There are spells too, of course, but those are finite."

OOC: spike stones behind the door, spiritual weapon, advance + foundation of stone + DR 5 should keep me alright, there are also divine favor, magic vestments...I can be tanky...but I need to know about the traps :)
"I could find any traps easy enough, but I can't do it from here. I'd have to search the room," Aureus says. "And I'm not interested in becoming a pincushion."

Phar considers, "again not my forte." he says shaking his head sadly. "I've no eye for traps though I can try to spot murder holes. Perhaps another can do better with traps?" He takes a look into the corridor his keen Elven eyes miss little.

OOC:
spot: 1D20+15 = [16]+15 = 31
Phar's eyes adjust easily to the light of the short corridor ahead, and he doesn't see any arrow slits in the walls. He also doesn't see any seems or loose stones that could be a sign of any pits.

Caerth sighs.

"I can find the traps."

The half-orc druid steps forward and producing the mushroom he just picked in the other room, whispers a few druidic words at it and tosses it into the hall. Before touching the ground the mushroom grows rapidly and takes on the shape of a massive boar, which thunders down the corridor and into the door at the other end.
The boar thunders down the corridor and smashes into the door. If there are any traps, nothing is triggered. No arrows fires from any murder holes.

"Wait! What!" The voice rings out from behind the door. "Shoot again!"

"I need to reload!"

The boar crushes through the door like it's not even there. Even the iron banding doesn't save it. It splits in two and one half hangs on to the higher hinge, barely. The boar squeals and several men beyond the ruined doorway shouting in confusion. Then you hear the sound of footsteps, running away. The boar stands in the open doorway with bits of wood embedded in its tusks, shaking its head.

"Well that solves that problem," Timmins says with a smile. He pats the big half-orc druid on the shoulder.

"That was amazing!" Brutus exclaims with his mouth agape.

"We should go after them or they'll warn the others," Wieland suggests.

Aureus moves into the short corridor and searches it for any traps. Once she gets to the other side she looks back and gives a thumbs up to the others. "It's all clear."

JustinCase said:
OOC: Spontaneously casting Summon Nature's Ally IV to summon a dire boar (with Augmented Nature's Ally it has an added +4 to Strength and Constitution).

It obviously triggers any traps in the hall and charges the door:
Dire boar: 1D20+12+2 = [20]+12+2 = 34 (crit?)
1D8+12+2 = [8]+12+2 = 22

crit confirmation: 1D20+14 = [2]+14 = 16 (I think that's a success versus the door?)
Additional damage: D8 = [8] = 8

I suspect that door is destroyed. :D

OOC: Current combat stats Caerth:
AC 20
HP 58/58

Spells:
Level 0: (6) create water (x2), detect magic, detect poison, purify food and drink, read magic
Level 1: (5) cure light wounds (x2), entangle, speak with animals, obscuring mist
Level 2: (4) lesser restoration, barkskin, gust of wind, warp wood
Level 3: (4) call lightning, cure moderate wounds, plant growth, dominate animal
Level 4: (3) scrying, ice storm

Wild Shapes (small, medium, large): 2/3
OOC: That is an awesome use of summon nature's ally! Ad hoc bonus of 100 XP! :D

JustinCase

Caerth nods to the dwarf’s suggestion, then speaks some words in a language none of the others understand.

The druid holds his bow at the ready, arrow in one hand, and starts after the fleeing cultists.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"The beast is faster then men. Send it after them!" Maur orders "Good job!"
Caerth nods to the dwarf’s suggestion, then speaks some words in a language none of the others understand.
The dire boar steps through the doorway and then sniffs the air. The steps of the fleeing cultists make it turn towards the south. A fleeing cultist is still only 30 feet away from the broken door. The man barely has time to look back once the animal charges towards him. The large animal slams into the man and gores him horribly. The man screams in pain and nearly collapses under the weight of the animal.

"Pritchard, help me!" The man yells but the other man doesn't even look back.

OOC: Ah, I didn't realize that the dire boar was a Large animal until just right now. It makes sense since it ripped through that door like it was paper. So, the dire boar takes up the entire ten-foot space beyond the doorway before it charges the cultist. I'll post an updated map.

Dire Boar - Charge attack vs. Cultist #1: 1D20+14+2 = [3]+14+2 = 19
1D8+14 = [3]+14 = 17
(hit!)

JustinCase said:
The druid holds his bow at the ready, arrow in one hand, and starts after the fleeing cultists.
Once beyond the broken door, Caerth can see that the corridor extends 40 feet to the north and, at least, 60 feet to the south (to the extent of his darkvision). The half-orc druid watches with pride as the summoned dire boar gores the cultist closest to him. The dire boar now stands partially in front of a closed wooden door. He cannot see much beyond the large animal's backside.

The corridor is eerily dark with no obvious light sources. How are these cultists seeing in the dark? They appear to be human, after all. At least two cultists are fleeing to the south of him (*) and other stands adjacent to a closed wooden door at the end of the corridor to the north. That man is trying to hide in the shadows not realizing that Caerth can see him. He has a heavy mace at ready in his hand and carries a small steel shield. Another closed wooden door is roughly 20 feet away from Caerth to the north along the corridor's eastern wall.

On the floor in front of Caerth is a dropped crossbow and steel shield that the boar has crushed under its hooves.

OOC: Note that for Caerth, beyond his darkvision range, he cannot see anything. The torchlight only provides half of the illumination of what the boar can see with its low-light vision. I'm assuming Caerth would end his movement just beyond the shattered door in order to get a clear picture of his surroundings. That would be 20 feet of movement. *Caerth can only see the upper torso of the second fleeing cultist due to the dire boar's size.

Caerth can shoot any of the cultists with his composite longbow but the ones to the south have Soft Cover (+4 to AC) from the dire boar. Plus, cultist #1 is in melee with the dire boar, so Caerth must take the penalty for firing into melee if he wants to finish the man off. The cultist to the north has no cover or concealment.

JustinCase

Caerth grins as he knows that the dire boar will keep the cultists to the south busy for a while. Sometimes fear of being stalked makes a prey reckless, so the half-orc druid decides to focus his attention elsewhere first.

Taking aim at the cultist hidden somewhat to the north, Caerth lets loose an arrow. It misses by a long shot.

"I see you," he growls, hoping to provoke his target.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Caerth grins as he knows that the dire boar will keep the cultists to the south busy for a while. Sometimes fear of being stalked makes a prey reckless, so the half-orc druid decides to focus his attention elsewhere first.

Taking aim at the cultist hidden somewhat to the north, Caerth lets loose an arrow. It misses by a long shot.

"I see you," he growls, hoping to provoke his target.

The arrow breaks against the side of the corridor.

Soon, Quinn has rushed forward to stand next to Caerth. "Where are they?" His eyes trying to see through the shadowy light beyond the dire boar. He has his chain at the ready.

The cultist gored by the boar retreats beyond the beast's tusks. Caerth watches as the man rushes by the other cultist (named Pritchard) and disappears into a perpendicular corridor that is hard to see even with the half-orc's darkvision.

Wieland moves forward through Brutus, Maur, and Timmins holding his sickle in one hand and the torch in the other. His shield is strapped to his back. He stops just in front of Timmins and light increases the illumination in the corridor beyond. Brutus follows suit, moving through Phar, to move into the short corridor. He takes up a position right behind Caerth. He, the druid, and Quinn make up quite the imposing trio.

Aureus pulls her cloak over her head and slips into the corridor and quickly tries to disappear into the shadowy light. She moves quickly, risking being spotted for speed. She quietly draws her composite longbow and hopes to get a shot at the cultist before he sees her. However, her foot scrapes against the wall of the corridor. The cultist's eyes dart towards her.

"Dog dung," she curses quietly. She takes aim and fires her bow. She grins as her arrow sinks deep into the man's side. "Ha! I still got you!"

OOC: Aureus - Hide and Move Silently (full speed [-5]): 1D20+10 = [19]+10 = 29; 1D20+10 = [1]+10 = 11 | Cultist #3 - Spot and Listen checks: 1D20+6 = [17]+6 = 23; 1D20+6 = [5]+6 = 11 | Aureus - Composite Longbow: 1D20+13 = [16]+13 = 29 (hit); Aureus - Composite Longbow (damage): 1D8+3 = [7]+3 = 10

Timmins moves forward past Wieland and turns towards the cultist to the north, directed by the others. He stops behind Aureus to her right. He hadn't expect the foe to be beyond the reach of his blade. He decides against moving forward, instead choosing to guard the hutaakan rogue's back. He immediately regrets his action as he watches the cultist flee through the door at the end of the hall.

Meridith moves forward with great speed. Her skill as a ranger quickens her pace. But when she reaches the corridor, all she sees is her allies, the dire boar, and a open door to the north that is being closed from the other side. "We must not lose them!"

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Maur moves up, his companions rushing around him like water around the stone. He walks up to the group and looks on both sides, his superior darkvision piercing the gloom.

"We already lost them. Don't rush out. We cannot split in this place. I suggest going left, there is the door, still swinging. Gods only know what's in the hall, but turning halls usually lead to either many doors or stairs. We don't need their barracks. And we don't want to go up or down until we clear things behind us."

Last edited:

Remove ads