Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [IC]

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Angus frowns, saying in slightly improved Harqualian "I can feel Azurak's will, pressing against me mind. He's not happy with ye, Aries. He'd force me to attack ye, if he could. But he can't. As for me, I don't like the fact that a TOOL can enter me mind and control me. It doesn't sit right with me. So I tell ye what: I'd be willing to sell Azurak to your superiors, for a fair price. Do ye think they'd be willing to bargain?"

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"That explains the emotions. If she is a pacifist no wonder she doesn't like me." mumbles Maur to himself
As the voices keep raising he raises his own
"Qi spoke to me earlier I wanted to tell you once we were alone, I couldn't understand her. Cruel Justice, calm down, you're NOT helping your cause. Now sit down, shut up, and listen!"
The dwarf champion's words seem to slow Quinn's movements towards unsheathing the blade. The fighter gets the blade half way out of the sheath and looks like he's going to stand.

Aries looks like to say something to Maur (while keeping one eye on Quinn), but Aureus glares at him and motions for him to listen to Muar.

"You've told us what you believe and want," she says to the Soldier of Iron. "And now you're going hear what we believe." She then barks in Quinn's direction. "CJ, stop acting like a pup!"

Caerth feels the familiar anger coming from Kang, although this time it is more intense than before. It is unmistakenly coming from the dagger this time, and the half-orc almost smiles at its lack of subtlety. Tensely he waits until it’s clear no fight will ensue.

Kang's attempt to influence Caerth is quickly overpowered by the half-orc druid's substantial willpower. There is a grudging respect and acceptance that that Caerth can feel. Kang will not challenge him again on this matter.

Neurotic said:
He stands up from the chair and points toward the former cultist
"You cannot expect us to just give you the weapons. Yes, they may be dangerous. Yes, they are alien in mind and purpose. But you're describing the catastrophe brought by an ogre chief and now by a deranged ghast cultist. You cannot think they wouldn't bring havoc even without The Arms. And given that Qi seems to be one for the peace and is literally the only one NOT a weapon, there is no reason to think they are anything but powerful items with a strange purpose. those things are dangerous, but in all of our travels, we have yet to encounter more powerful forces for good. Vok taking them...sure...and what will he do with them? Bring more disorder to the hells? By all means. Except again, Qi would be tortured there which is not something we need or want for ANYBODY."
At that last pronounced word, he turns toward Quinn slamming the gauntleted fist onto the table.
OOC: Not too hard Str check: 1D20+4 = [8]+4 = 12
Aries listens to Maur's words attentively, although Maur can sense the man is not in agreement with all his arguments. He puts one hand on his shield sitting against the table next to him as he's not sure what Quinn will do. The man seems to be struggling against Cruel Justice's willpower.

"I have no feud with you, Sir Quinn," Aries says to the burly fighter. "Do not let it control you."

The soldier's eyes shift towards Maur, but he keeps his focus on Quinn. "I know can't force you to give them up. That became clear to me after you defeated Tarrak. Expectations. That's not as clear. Do I think you will allow me to take Azurak back to my brotherhood. No, I know I have little hope in convincing you. But, the order expects me to at least ask that you give them willingly. If your answer is a resounding no, then I'll have to tell them that I failed to retrieve it and who has it." He glances towards Angus. "It is my duty to tell them what I know, who you all are, and that you have four of the Star Arms with the possibility you might find the fifth."

"Or you could just trust us," Aureus retorts.

"That is asking me to betray my brotherhood," Aries replies. "I won't do that."

JustinCase said:
”Your concerns come from a good heart,” the druid says to Aries softly, almost too quiet after Maur's outburst.
"You, I have come to respect greatly for your dedication toward nature, brother," Aries replies to Caerth. "You, I trust to keep control over Kang. You willpower is much strong than that dagger's limited mind."

Aries looks back towards Maur; he seems less concerned about Quinn "I would argue with you about calling Vodik Mournhammer a simple ogre chief, but I have a feeling you've never faced an ogre scion in battle. Your own people's subterranean history might be blinding you to how dangerous such scions are in these lands. I don't think they live in the deepest delves, but I could be wrong."

OOC: Think of an ogre scion like a regular ogre on steroids with powers akin to (or greater than) an ogre mage. They are completely fanatical to Vaprak, and lesser ogres tend to think of scions as being directly linked by blood with the ogre god, and they often fanatically worship ogre scions as quasi-deities. It is believed by many human scholars that Vodik might have been a demigod.

Angus frowns, saying in slightly improved Harqualian "I can feel Azurak's will, pressing against me mind. He's not happy with ye, Aries. He'd force me to attack ye, if he could. But he can't. As for me, I don't like the fact that a TOOL can enter me mind and control me. It doesn't sit right with me. So I tell ye what: I'd be willing to sell Azurak to your superiors, for a fair price. Do ye think they'd be willing to bargain?"
Aries is surprised by Angus's offer. He nods. "I'm sure they would be happy to pay you a fair price." He looks to the others. "They might be willing to pay all of you a fair price for all the Star Arms."

"I am not for sale!" Cruel Justice's voice rings out angrily. "None of us are! Sir Quinn! I command you to strike this fool DOWN!"

Neurotic said:
"And you"...He addresses Cruel Justice.
..."sword, you are helpful, you're old and may even be wise. But you need someone to wield you. So don't push it. We're not some country bumpkins you can just push around. We could just give you to the first dragon coming our way. The same goes for all of you. Azurak, Kang and Qi. You didn't yet speak, but I'm fairly sure you can listen. Even adamantine things and adamantine personages can be killed or destroyed, just much harder than we mortals. Instead of threatening you all or having to worry about you betraying us for some easier bearer why don't we agree to cooperate as a group? Qi will be safe and unused in combat. She can choose to help. Or not. I wouldn't force a priestess to heal me, I wouldn't force a commoner to provide shelter for me so I will not force anyone to do anything."...his formidable will turns away from Qi and the pressure on her psyche eases..."But if you want to stay together, you need to start thinking more about the group that wields you and less about yourselves. I believe Aries believe what he's saying. Not that he is right, but he believes what has been said to him. So...let's have it out right now. Do we fight one against another and you get separated...AGAIN! or you work with us."

"Quinn! Sheath the blade. You are the famous gladiator. You know how to hold composure under pressure."
Cruel Justice pushes his entire will upon Quinn and the man is force to his feet and the blade is drawn, but he doesn't raise the blade to strike out at Aries. Instead he stalks off several feet and slams the intelligent scimitar's blade into the ground.

"You need a time out," Quinn growls at the weapon. He goes back to his seat and gulps down a mug of water. Once he's relaxed his mind, he says, "That took everything I had."

"That blade is as willful as it is powerful," Aries says while pointing to Cruel Justice. "Tarrak couldn't wield it because he was too chaotic. But if it fell into the hands of a devil or powerful human lord with a thirst for conquest, the damage it could do is considerable."

"CJ believes in law and justice," Aureus insists. "He wouldn't allow Quinn or anyone else who wields him to act outside the boundaries of the laws of the Strandlands."

"But what about in other lands where the laws are different?" Aries asks as a open question to the group. "Can you say for certain it wouldn't change its behavior to fit within the laws of a kingdom that has a tyrant for a king?"

JustinCase said:
Caerth considers both sides, and realizes there are pieces of the puzzle still missing; pieces needed to see the whole picture.

”What drives you to be together? What do you seek, and what have you found happened last time the Star Arms were together?”

He asks this of Cruel Justice, hoping the sword’s adherence to law means it will not lie.
Cruel Justice refuses to answer Caerth's question.

"Jaci ui jirank sva wer daron," Qi says. "Wux geou ehtah jacion ssej ihk wer ssifisv di wer kear."

"She says he's upset with Quinn and likely won't talk to us for a while," Phar translates.

"Let him sulk," Aureus says. "He needs to learn to be a better friend."

Qi laughs. "Tir ti charis."

"Unlikely."

Phar asks Qi a question in Draconic and the adamantine baton answers quickly.

"Yth jahen kitril persvek wer iski vur yth re svihelen."

"She says that they were born together in the stars. That they consider themselves to be a family."

"Yth tir ti agantal iaco."

"They don't always agree," Phar translates.

"No kidding," Aureus says while curling her tail around her front.

"Si hefoc jacioniv. Visp wer tundar ekess majak ve ekess wer jinkex," Qi say with a sense of delight.

Phar smiles. "She likes you, Aureus." Phar looks at Maur. "She's asked me to tell you that she'd like you to give her to Aureus."

Aureus is shocked by this and looks hesitant. "Um, I'd rather not. CJ and I clashed emotionally when I had him and I'd rather not go through that again. Say 'thank you' though. She should pick you."

"She doesn't like wizards," Phar replies.

"Si tepoha ehis seanf vaecaesini. Xander jahus lae jatil citrel ve lae jaci jahus ouhaysh."

"Xander was cruel to her, uncaring," Phar says sympathetically.

Neurotic said:
OOC: Will save vs Qi: 1D20+16 = [18]+16 = 34 add 1 if she's evil, add 1 more if the effect is supernatural or she is an outsider

He pauses to see what happens, his chest heaving, his arm on the hammer on his hip. If no combat erupts Maur sits down with a huff. "Look what you made me do. I don't hold speeches. And I am probably overheard by half the monsters in the badlands." He pours himself more wine, pulls out Qi
"You will be better heard this way. I'm sorry for not being an ideal wielder, but you will have to bear with me for a moment."
"Visp jacion ekess majak ve ekess wer jinkex," Qi says to Phar.

"Jaciv ui ti vi jinkex. Jacioniv xiekivi re vucat lae hutaakan," Phar replies.

"What?" Aureus asks.

"I'm explained to her that your not a gnoll," Phar says with a grin.

The hutaakan lets out a little bark and then laughs. "Yes, not a gnoll."

Phar looks at Maur. "She's pretty insistent that she wants you to give her to Aureus."

Aureus eyes go wide, and her face begins to look uncomfortably frustrated. She shakes her head 'no' again.

OOC: BTW, this is the common to draconic translator I'm using -> Draconic Translator

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Qi, she doesn't want the responsibility. When she asks, I'll give you away. Aureus, I understand the trepidation, my feeling of Qi is that she is a gentle soul. The trouble is, she too wants to stay with the rest - if I got her correctly..." he pauses for the moment waiting for the feedback "...and you already mentioned you'd stay in Carnell for the time being, us being to dangerous. On the other hand, she may agree to be separated from the rest if that means there will be some peace and quiet."
Considering the events for a moment
"Not all wizards are as that duergar. You had to see the difference between us, the people of Carnell and Tarrak and his cultists. There is violence on this world, yes, but also, love, community and civilization. Powerful weapons will always be sought by those power-hungry and selfish people to impose their will upon others. And you get to see the worst of us. Some of you may revel in the challenge the battle brings us, but it is important you chose sides wisely. And to remember that not all of you are born to battle. It is not fair of the weapon-brothers to force your sister into conflict simply because you want to be together."

Scotley

Hero
"This is an interesting quandary you present us. Do the weapons have the right to choose. Would the mace want to go with this knight? In much the same way Aureus chooses not to take the weapon. You admit your order does not have the legal authority to take the weapons from us. I suspose Lady Pendour might. You make a strong argument, but the weapons themselves dispute some of your points. Items not weapons, I mean no offense Qi." He shakes his head. "I have not been chosen by any of the items, so I don't feel I have a say. I will support the will of the group. "

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Qi laughs. "Tir ti charis."

"Unlikely."

Phar asks Qi a question in Draconic and the adamantine baton answers quickly.

"Yth jahen kitril persvek wer iski vur yth re svihelen."

"She says that they were born together in the stars. That they consider themselves to be a family."

"Yth tir ti agantal iaco."

"They don't always agree," Phar translates.

"No kidding," Aureus says while curling her tail around her front.
"Family," Caerth echoes softly, remembering his own struggles with a father he never knew and is either dead or working as a slave somewhere, and the mother he... well, he never even admitted to Aeron that he once spied on her in the shape of a bird.

Family that left him with a hermit, away from looks of shame. Yes, there is a longing for family inside the half-orc, but mostly he feels no need to be with either of his parents.

"Ducklings leave the nest and find their own way in the world," he says harshly, taking a step closer to Qi and the one who holds her, Maur.

"Family is an excuse. What other reason do you have to be together?" he demands.

Realizing his own anger is fueled by Kang's, Caerth says no more and focuses on breathing deeply. He does not take back his words, however.
"This is an interesting quandary you present us. Do the weapons have the right to choose. Would the mace want to go with this knight? In much the same way Aureus chooses not to take the weapon. You admit your order does not have the legal authority to take the weapons from us. I suspose Lady Pendour might. You make a strong argument, but the weapons themselves dispute some of your points. Items not weapons, I mean no offense Qi." He shakes his head. "I have not been chosen by any of the items, so I don't feel I have a say. I will support the will of the group. "
Caerth nods in agreement, although he waits for Qi's answers before speaking up again.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"Qi, she doesn't want the responsibility. When she asks, I'll give you away. Aureus, I understand the trepidation, my feeling of Qi is that she is a gentle soul. The trouble is, she too wants to stay with the rest - if I got her correctly..." he pauses for the moment waiting for the feedback "...and you already mentioned you'd stay in Carnell for the time being, us being to dangerous. On the other hand, she may agree to be separated from the rest if that means there will be some peace and quiet."
"Gentle soul or not," Aureus says warily. "I'd rather she choose someone else."

"Either give me to the one called Aureus," Qi replies. "Or throw me in a dragon's horde, if you find one that won't eat you. I don't care if I stay close to the others, so you can leave me in Carnell. The one called Aries is right that violence often erupts around us. But I will not go willingly with him either. If you force me to stay with my kin, I ask that someone else but Maur carry me. However, if no one is willing, I ask the dwarf to store me away so I may meditate in solace."

"It should be Phar," Aureus suggests again.

Maur can feel Qi bristling at the thought of another wizard getting a hold of her, but he also can feel that she'd rather travel with the elf than with him... but not by much.

OOC: From now on, I'm going to write Qi's responses as if Phar has already translated them from Draconic.

Neurotic said:
Considering the events for a moment
"Not all wizards are as that duergar. You had to see the difference between us, the people of Carnell and Tarrak and his cultists. There is violence on this world, yes, but also, love, community and civilization. Powerful weapons will always be sought by those power-hungry and selfish people to impose their will upon others. And you get to see the worst of us. Some of you may revel in the challenge the battle brings us, but it is important you chose sides wisely. And to remember that not all of you are born to battle. It is not fair of the weapon-brothers to force your sister into conflict simply because you want to be together."
"I can see the difference," Qi replies. "But I have also had bad experiences with adventurers in the past. So quick to violence when things go wrong. In your fight against Tarrak, the creature and his minions left you little choice. But so many didn't have to die. The villagers should not have been put in harms way. They were not skilled enough. Their deaths were needless."

"They chose to fight," Aureus insists.

"Did they?" Qi replies. "Or did you all whip them up into a frenzy and lead them into a battle many of them had no hope of surviving. You had the choice to retreat from the region & protect the innocent and yet you chose to fight and convinced many of them to fight, including Lady Pendour. Do not forget that I was there. I bore witness."

Aureus looks as if she is going to say something, but she just sits in her chair and looks down at the table.

"War is a poor mistress."

"This is an interesting quandary you present us. Do the weapons have the right to choose. Would the mace want to go with this knight? In much the same way Aureus chooses not to take the weapon. You admit your order does not have the legal authority to take the weapons from us. I suppose Lady Pendour might. You make a strong argument, but the weapons themselves dispute some of your points. Items not weapons, I mean no offense Qi." He shakes his head. "I have not been chosen by any of the items, so I don't feel I have a say. I will support the will of the group. "
Aries shakes his head. "You speak as if these weapons are people with souls. The Star Arms are a creation of magical will by powerful living beings with souls. Yes, some of each creators' spirit was infused in them during their creation, but these items are not alive in the same way as you or me. Many among my brotherhood would consider them just as unnatural as Tarrak."

"That is completely unreasonable!" Aureus snaps at the Soldier of Iron.

"And untrue," Qi adds. "We existed as living energy in the depths of space long before our home fell to Kulan thousands of years ago..."

"No! Your rock was a cast off from Trel after Mussin destroyed that planet," Aries insists. "The evidence in the annals is clear on that fact. I will not have you spin that old godstone myth that your souls are millions of years old. That is a falsehood."

"That myth was written by and for humans," Qi replies calmly. "While we are not gods, we were living energy long before our home fell from the sky and crashed onto this continent you call Harqual."

Aries sits back in his chair and shakes his head over and over. The man is fanatical is what he believes.

"There is still one more at the tower if Aries is right. I'm thinking Cruel Justice will now want to go back and retrieve it too."
"If Ta’kira’kerymor is there, then they must be found and given a chance to find someone to bond with, but Ta'kira tends to go their own way. Ta'kira is an willful child who has a love for nature and all things elvish. Humans call Ta'kira by the name Swordbreaker. While Ta'kira is similar to Kang, my child is different than their brother in that Ta'kira is a defender and can easily sunder any opponent."

"Child? Aureus says surprised.

"Azurak. Kang. Ta’kira’kerymor. They are our children."

Aries throws his hands up in disgust. "I will hear no more of these lies!"

The Soldier of Iron gets up from the table and heads into the inn. He slams the door behind him. Ivoron comes out of the inn with a bewildered look on his face. He brings some more food and a fresh pitcher of well water.

"What is wrong with your friend? He looks so angry."

"He is not our friend," Aureus says.

"Family," Caerth echoes softly, remembering his own struggles with a father he never knew and is either dead or working as a slave somewhere, and the mother he... well, he never even admitted to Aeron that he once spied on her in the shape of a bird.

Family that left him with a hermit, away from looks of shame. Yes, there is a longing for family inside the half-orc, but mostly he feels no need to be with either of his parents.

"Ducklings leave the nest and find their own way in the world," he says harshly, taking a step closer to Qi and the one who holds her, Maur.

"Family is an excuse. What other reason do you have to be together?" he demands.

Realizing his own anger is fueled by Kang's, Caerth says no more and focuses on breathing deeply. He does not take back his words, however.

Caerth nods in agreement, although he waits for Qi's answers before speaking up again.
"Familiarity is Cruel Justice's excuse, not mine," Qi replies to Caerth. "I do not believe we should always be together. In fact, us being together has caused strife in your world in the past, but is that not true of any powerful magicks that exist in this world?"

Qi pauses to reflect on the half-orc druid's words. "I care about my children, yet they can be willful and easily influenced by people. Of the three of them, Ta’kira’kerymor is the strongest." She sighs. "And while I do care about my husband, he is very stubborn and prone to violence. He always says 'the law this', and 'the law that' as an excuse to inflict violence. After centuries of arguing with him, I have no more patience for his outbursts."

"I would never have thought CJ would have a wife," Aureus says. "That is... new information."

"He has flirted with you, hasn't he?" Qi asks.

Aureus nods. "It's one of the reasons he and I clashed so much. Don't get me wrong, the attention was nice and he wasn't crass, it was just all... the... time!"

"It does not surprise me," Qi says. "For all his talk of the law, if he had a humanoid form, he would be a horrible philanderer."

You can sense a hint of sadness in Qi's voice.

Aureus looks towards Cruel Justice and then back to Qi. She looks at Maur. "Okay, if she is still willing to travel with me, I accept, for now. It will give us a chance to talk about CJ. But once we get back to Carnell, I will give her to someone else or leave her in the manor's vault so she can meditate in peace."

"I agree," Qi says.

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
"Thank you Aureus, a reasonable solution. It appears we need to find your other child Qi," Phar says in draconic and then repeats for the others before continuing. "For my part we will not force you to stay together or to go with this Soldier of Iron. His fanaticism makes me a little uncomfortable..." He trails off rather than say more about the man.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Maur motions for Aureus to take Qi from the table.
"Good luck, Qi. If only more of your children took after you and not...meh, we don't choose our parent nor our traits. We just deal with life as it comes."

Remove ads