Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [IC]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Gather around, all of you." Maur calls the group close and after a short prayers radiates holy light for a minute, healing some part of the injuries taken.

OOC: cast Positive energy aura (4th level spell) healing 30 (3/round for 10 rounds) hp to everyone.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Angus nods to Aureus.
Angus asks, "Iss hay'n aed o' healin'? Ah know th'aert."

Angus then attempts to render first aid to Caerth.
Angus finds that Aureus's spell has already stablized the half-orc druid, but the centaur applies a salve and quick bandage just to be safe.

Litrix sighs in relief as his muscles uncramp slowly and he stretches.
"My apologies for weak performance. I am usually more than hard to paralyze, but...it happens. I will do better next time."
"Do not worry about it," Aureus assures Litrix. "Ghouls are nasty opponents. We've faced such creatures before and several allies were paralyzed then too." She pauses. "Hopefully Eike hasn't become a powerful ghoul like Tarrak."

"Gather around, all of you." Maur calls the group close and after a short prayers radiates holy light for a minute, healing some part of the injuries taken.

OOC: cast Positive energy aura (4th level spell) healing 30 (3/round for 10 rounds) hp to everyone.
Angus and Aureus carefully move Caerth next to Maur and Quinn stands right next to the dwarf champion. Aureus is unhurt, so she stands back and keeps watch the others wait for the minute that is needed to heal the worst of their injuries.

"Thank you," Quinn nod.

The burly warrior is still in a rough state, but he's in no danger of dying. Caerth regains consciousness and is helped to his feet. He is out of danger but looks like he could use some time to rest. Or more healing.

"I don't know if we should rest here," Aureus notes. "This oasis is an awful place... but what's ahead could be worse."

Aureus looks at Caerth. "Can you purify the land around the oasis?"

"While I have used up all my scorching rays for the day," Phar says. "I still have several evocations that will be useful against Eike. Fireball, lightning bolt, etc. We might want to wait until morning to continue on to confront him. The dark might hide other undead worse than ghouls."

"These lands are cursed," Qi notes out loud for all to hear. "I advise caution."

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth comes to, helped to his feet by his companions. He rubs his wounds carefully; they have stopped bleeding but are not healed yet. The half-orc shrugs, not fearing scars or visible wounds as long as his body works as it should. He will look for curative plants and fungi later.

"Purifying these lands only works for a few days, if not less," he answers grimly. "The source of the blight must be removed if nature is to stand a chance at all."

Then, with a smile, the druid takes a handful of seeds from his backpack and sprinkles them over and between the corpses of dire wolves. Next, he produces a large, strange-looking mushroom and with a few muttered Sylvan words, waves it over the seeds, dew drops raining from the spongy fungus and moisturizing the potential plants. Lastly, Caerth takes a large twig of wood and waves it over the just-watered area, speeding up the growth of the small plants and flowers.

"For now, these will grow and bring some life. And hopefully, prevent those unnatural things from rising once more."

Then without warning, Caerth transforms into a large owl, similar to his companion Screech but much larger, and flies up to watch whether any other threat is near.

OOC: Alright, there's a few things I want Caerth to do:
Cast Create Water (level 0)
Cast Plant Growth (level 3) - the spell is not completely clear on whether it can do what I want it to, but it seems like the most logical choice
Wild Shape into a Giant Owl (if that is impossible because it's technically not an Animal but a Magical Beast, then a regular Owl is fine)

The Wild Shape is for two reasons: One, to scout (Spot check: 17). Two, to regain some hitpoints (11hp, as a good night's sleep), which happens each time I transform.

If any of these don't work (or take too much time), let me know and I can skip some.

Updated stats:
HP 39/71
Wild Shape 3/4
Spells:
Level 0 (6): create water, cure minor wounds, detect magic, detect poison, guidance, purify food and drink
Level 1 (6): entangle, traveller's mount, traveller's mount, traveller's mount, traveller's mount, traveller's mount
Level 2 (5): bear's endurance, lesser restoration, mass snake's swiftness, master air, share husk
Level 3 (5): blindsight, cure moderate wounds, giant’s wrath, plant growth, spirit jaws
Level 4 (3): dispel magic, lay of the land, scrying
Level 5 (2): atonement, commune with nature
Level 6 (1): greater dispell magic

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"If we're gonna rest here, I can cure more wounds." says Maur after Caerth finishes his ritual.
"I cannot maximize the healing like in that room at the inn, but I have full complement of spells, so..." he shrugs "...I can probably keep you healthy even if the rest here doesn't help. I would send Zelekhut to scout around and kill any other undead he finds. With its flying it can cover good area. And I can still prepare to call another. I cannot do it too often, the opening of the gate costs me some life. But I think it is warranted in this case. If we want to rest safely. What say you?"

Looking around estimating the health of everyone
"We can go on, I guess, at least a bit closer to Eike so I can send that Zelekhut directly to him, but it may prevent any further resting once Eike is alerted. But we can rest closer to our goal. And I will prepare remove paralysis, just in case. Two."

OOC: @JustinCase, can I suggest replacing atonement (which was important for the ritual with the elf mage) for healing cocoon...I'm not sure of the exact name, but it is a spell that works healing while protecting the person healed

I still have to prepare my new spell levels :eek: I have a tournament tonight, so I'll do it tomorrow after work, I promise.

JustinCase

OOC:@JustinCase, can I suggest replacing atonement (which was important for the ritual with the elf mage) for healing cocoon...I'm not sure of the exact name, but it is a spell that works healing while protecting the person healed

I still have to prepare my new spell levels :eek: I have a tournament tonight, so I'll do it tomorrow after work, I promise.
OOC: You mean Rejuvenation Coccoon from Complete Divine? That's a good idea. Next time I prepare spells I'll be sure to switch!

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Caerth comes to, helped to his feet by his companions. He rubs his wounds carefully; they have stopped bleeding but are not healed yet. The half-orc shrugs, not fearing scars or visible wounds as long as his body works as it should. He will look for curative plants and fungi later.

"Purifying these lands only works for a few days, if not less," he answers grimly. "The source of the blight must be removed if nature is to stand a chance at all."
Aureus looks out around the oasis as far as her darkvision and light emanating from Cruel Justice allows. The oasis, and the land around it, is awful in ways she hasn't seen since being on her home world. "Many parts of Maran are cursed like this land. In so many places, undead run rampant and the land is cursed by eons of unchecked death and destruction," she sighs shaking her head. "I had hoped... that I'd seen the last of such blight, but it seems evil festers in many places on this world too."

"Death and destruction can be widespread on this world... on any world," Qi advises. Qi "It is how you face it that matters."

The hutaakan nods.

JustinCase said:
Then, with a smile, the druid takes a handful of seeds from his backpack and sprinkles them over and between the corpses of dire wolves. Next, he produces a large, strange-looking mushroom and with a few muttered Sylvan words, waves it over the seeds, dew drops raining from the spongy fungus and moisturizing the potential plants. Lastly, Caerth takes a large twig of wood and waves it over the just-watered area, speeding up the growth of the small plants and flowers.

"For now, these will grow and bring some life. And hopefully, prevent those unnatural things from rising once more."

Then without warning, Caerth transforms into a large owl, similar to his companion Screech but much larger, and flies up to watch whether any other threat is near.
Aureus watches as new growth takes root through the fallen bodies of the destroyed undead creatures. The plants that grow are a pale green and the flowers that sprout are white or yellow in color. Even in the pale light from Cruel Justice, it is easy to see that Caerth's magic makes a noticeable difference. Hopefully, the land will blossom over the coming weeks and some healing, at least, can begin.

Quinn nods his approval. "Well done, my friend."

He and the others watch as Caerth shifts into a dire owl and takes to the air. The half-orc druid finds that the land is mainly rocky desert and scattered low hills. In a few places the hills rise into low peaks that are more like foothills than true mountains. As Caerth wings southwest towards the taller hills in the distance, he finds a wide valley that is filled with desert cacti. Beyond that he can see the more substantial hills rising into night sky with jutting crags and what looks like a dead forest spread out among higher peaks and desolate hills. To the west and north are wide vistas of sandy desert with shifting dunes.

He feels a sense of dread from the dying forest, even high above the land. He sees and senses a shimmering barrier of what feels like pure evil. Not wanting to get any closer, he wings back to the group while continuing to look for signs of danger. Caerth notes several other oases, but he can't tell if the oases are inhabited. He does see a small ruin right at the outskirts of the valley of cacti. It looks old but might still be intact. Caerth doesn't see anything out in the wilds that would pose a danger. He does see some animals but nothing that seems dangerous. However, he knows there could be creatures hiding the valley of cacti. The possibility of hidden deadly plants.

OOC: New map will be posted on the OOC thread after I have lunch.

"If we're gonna rest here, I can cure more wounds." says Maur after Caerth finishes his ritual.
"I cannot maximize the healing like in that room at the inn, but I have full complement of spells, so..." he shrugs "...I can probably keep you healthy even if the rest here doesn't help. I would send Zelekhut to scout around and kill any other undead he finds. With its flying it can cover good area. And I can still prepare to call another. I cannot do it too often, the opening of the gate costs me some life. But I think it is warranted in this case. If we want to rest safely. What say you?"
"I must rest," Quinn says matter-of-factly.

"I'm okay to rest here now," Aureus nods while stifling a yawn. "Cearth's magic gives me some solace. A tent would be nice, however."

"It wouldn't be the first time we've slept under the stars, Aureus.

"True."

Neurotic said:
Looking around estimating the health of everyone
"We can go on, I guess, at least a bit closer to Eike so I can send that Zelekhut directly to him, but it may prevent any further resting once Eike is alerted. But we can rest closer to our goal. And I will prepare remove paralysis, just in case. Two."
Aureus looked read to find a spot to lie down and sleep, but she pauses to wait until the group comes to a final decision. Quinn, however, goes to where he dropped his haversack, when the fight began, and begins to pull out his bedroll.

"Unless Caerth sees something from up there," the gladiator-knight says while glancing into the night's sky. "I say we stay here. away from the fallen ghouls and sleep until dawn."

"Maur, I'd say gate in the Zelekhut and have it search for Eike while we rest," Phar replies.

JustinCase said:
OOC: Alright, there's a few things I want Caerth to do:
Cast Create Water (level 0)
Cast Plant Growth (level 3) - the spell is not completely clear on whether it can do what I want it to, but it seems like the most logical choice
Wild Shape into a Giant Owl (if that is impossible because it's technically not an Animal but a Magical Beast, then a regular Owl is fine)

The Wild Shape is for two reasons: One, to scout (Spot check: 17). Two, to regain some hitpoints (11hp, as a good night's sleep), which happens each time I transform.

If any of these don't work (or take too much time), let me know and I can skip some.
OOC: I'm fine with it. Enrichment, right?

However, you can have Caerth wildshape into a dire owl instead.

Litrix considers the warrior.
"I can go on for a little bit. If Maur can spend some more healing on you and Caerth, we might do well to move into normal area as far as the desert can be normal. This area seems dead and fight might attract local life or unlife which would prevent proper rest."
He looks up at the darkening sky.
"Let's wait for the scouting report."

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"Ah um okay to carry on," Angus notes. "All we need is some gumption."

Aureus looks at Angus quizzically. "Gumption?"

The centaur rubs his chin thoughtfully. "Aye, gumption. Common... sense. Litrix has the right of it. Is fheàrr feitheamh... better to wait. Our draoidh friend could be a while up there." Angus motions to the sky. "I say we settle for a bit."

Angus folds his arms together and bows his head to rest.

Aureus finds a spot to lie down without any rocks, but she doesn't sleep. She just rests her body and eyes. Her ears stay alert for any sounds.

JustinCase

After scouting for a while, Caerth-as-owl feels he has enough of an idea what is around to end his flight. Silently he glides down and sees the party a bit away from where he left them.

Transforming back into his half-orc self, Caerth draws a crude map of what he has seen and feels is relevant. Dead oases (the one they were just in is drawn as a simple wolf's head, crosses for eyes and a flower growing from its forehead), a cactus-filled valley (drawn as a roughly diamand-shaped area with a stylized cactus in the middle), various hills and rocks and symbols for sand and curious plants; finally, the half-orc places a dark line and goes over it a few times to thicken it for effect.

"The land is dying," he repeats, not bothering to elaborate after they have all witnessed it. "Didn't see any obvious dangers around, but we should be careful anyway.

"I don't think crossing the cactus valley would be wise,"
he points on his map. "We could walk to this old ruin on the outskirts to see if my hunch is right, and then decide whether to go around it. The most important thing is that magical barrier on the other side. I could feel the utter evil radiating from it for miles."

OOC: When getting out of Wild Shape, I regain 11 hitpoints again, bringing me up to 50/71 hp. :)

Also sharing all the information I got while scouting; see the OOC map.

Remove ads