Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [OOC]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Hmm, I thought Phar could cast greater dispel magic... :unsure:

Ah, I see my mistake, it is a 5th-level spell for bards. So, I'm going to say the DC is only 26; it will still be tough to make but not impossible.

I'm not sure there is a RAW way to Aid Another on that roll. But let's say that a successful Spellcraft check by one additional PC adds a +2 bonus to the dispel magic roll.

EDIT: Also, when you get a chance, make a tiebreak roll for the amulet.
So, if we all cast dispel magic at the same time...would that count as extra power or it would be better to cast one by one and try to disrupt the spell with added spellcraft checks to add +2? Would it be cumulative with more people (as a ritual circle)? Would it be more powerful with items anathema to the creature in question (demon as far as we know, so holy water, cold iron, holy symbols etc...)?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
So, if we all cast dispel magic at the same time...would that count as extra power or it would be better to cast one by one and try to disrupt the spell with added spellcraft checks to add +2? Would it be cumulative with more people (as a ritual circle)? Would it be more powerful with items anathema to the creature in question (demon as far as we know, so holy water, cold iron, holy symbols etc...)?
The idea of a Ritual Circle sounds like a good idea. It's late, so I need to go to bed, but using holy water and/or holy symbols sounds like a cool in-game idea. I'd say it would have to be only the PCs with ranks doing the extra Spellcraft checks.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
I love the idea of a ritual spell, both from an RP perspective and from a mechanical view. Alternatively, Caerth does have Greater Dispel Magic available now. :)

In fact, going through the list of spells needed (or useful) for the whole ritual, here's what Caerth can and cannot cast:
  • Atonement: YES (level 5)
  • Death Ward: YES (level 5)
  • Hallow: YES (level 5)
  • Dispel Magic: YES (level 4)
  • Greater Dispel Magic: YES (level 6)
  • Break Enchantment: NO
  • Remove Curse: NO
  • Polymorph: NO
I have only 2 level-5 spell slots, so I will have to choose. I feel Hallow takes too long for our purpose (24 hours). Also, we can really use Commune With Nature and/or Tree Stride (both level 5) to track the fugitives if we do that on the same day.
@JustinCase Caerth is essential for casting Atonement - the rest is on cleric list exclusively. The rest, think on how to protect him from domination, negative damage etc...
I will use Atonement, absolutely. Like I said, Caerth has several other spells available, so it's not completely up to Maur otherwise.

But your point is well taken. Caerth can cast something like Guidance or Resistance on Galzadar to give him a little bonus on his saves, or a buff spell (Bear's Endurance etc.) to a stat of our choice (Galzadar's or ours). There aren't many other such protection spells on the druid list.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
tie breaker roll: 1D20 = [9] = 9

Congratulations JustinCase! This loss will remind me to keep Phar behind the meat shields.
Okay, so the amulet of natural armor +4 goes to Caerth.

I would say that the headband of intellect +4 taken off the dead necromancer, Reynold, after the fight in Carnell (and given to the PCs by Timmins) should probably go to Phar. Phar would then be able to give his old headband of intellect +2 to another character.

I love the idea of a ritual spell, both from an RP perspective and from a mechanical view. Alternatively, Caerth does have Greater Dispel Magic available now. :)

In fact, going through the list of spells needed (or useful) for the whole ritual, here's what Caerth can and cannot cast:
  • Atonement: YES (level 5)
  • Death Ward: YES (level 5)
  • Hallow: YES (level 5)
  • Dispel Magic: YES (level 4)
  • Greater Dispel Magic: YES (level 6)
  • Break Enchantment: NO
  • Remove Curse: NO
  • Polymorph: NO
I have only 2 level-5 spell slots, so I will have to choose. I feel Hallow takes too long for our purpose (24 hours). Also, we can really use Commune With Nature and/or Tree Stride (both level 5) to track the fugitives if we do that on the same day.

I will use Atonement, absolutely. Like I said, Caerth has several other spells available, so it's not completely up to Maur otherwise.

But your point is well taken. Caerth can cast something like Guidance or Resistance on Galzadar to give him a little bonus on his saves, or a buff spell (Bear's Endurance etc.) to a stat of our choice (Galzadar's or ours). There aren't many other such protection spells on the druid list.
Right, Caerth does have access to one 6th-level spell as an 11th-level druid.

Polymorph might be the only spell the PCs don't have access to unless Scotley has Phar choose it as one of the spells added to Phar's spellbook for going up in level.

Instead of Resistance, Caerth could cast Greater Resistance from the Spell Compendium on Galzadar instead. That would be a +3 to all of the elf wizard's saves. The PCs could also put Galzadar's amulet of health +4 back on him during the ritual to help with the Fortitude save but if enough buff spells are cast on Galzadar it probably wouldn't be necessary.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
@Scotley, I'm going to roll the Spellcraft checks for Phar for identifying the new magic items.

Minor Items
+1 Chainmail [x2] (CL3)
+1 Darkwood Buckler (CL3)
+1 Mithral Breastplate (CL3)
Boots of Landing [from XPH] (ML2 [Spellcraft and detect magic won't work])
Headband of Intellect +2 (CL8)
Periapt of Wisdom +2 (CL8)
Rings of Feather Falling (CL1)
---
Already identified by Aureus...
Rings of Feather Falling
(CL1)
Slippers of Spider Climbing (CL4)

Phar - Spellcraft checks with Detect Magic (Minor Magical Items [DC 20 + caster level]):
1D20+14 = [15]+14 = 29 (success)
1D20+14 = [16]+14 = 30 (success)
1D20+14 = [5]+14 = 19 (failed)
1D20+14 = [7]+14 = 21 (automatically failed)
1D20+14 = [11]+14 = 25 (success)
1D20+14 = [2]+14 = 16 (failed)

So, Phar is able to identify all but three of the remaining minor magical items. He was unable to identify the +1 mithral breastplate, the periapt of wisdom +2, and the boots of landing. He, like Aureus, is baffled by the strange boots. He knows they aren't mundane, but he can't figure out that the boots are psionic in nature.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Medium Items
+1 Dagger (CL3)
+1 Heavy Mace (CL3)
Amulet of Health +4 (CL8)
Cape of the Mountebank (CL9)
Ring of Protection +2 (CL6)
Wand of Cat’s Grace [40 charges] (CL5)

Phar - Spellcraft checks with Detect Magic (Medium Magical Items [DC 25 + caster level]):
1D20+14 = [20]+14 = 34 (critical success)
1D20+14 = [12]+14 = 26 (success)
1D20+14 = [14]+14 = 28 (success)

Phar identifies all of these items.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Major Items
+1 Anarchic Thundering Cold Iron Javelin of Returning (CL7)
+1 Heavy Steel Shield of Arrow Deflection (CL5)
+1 Keen Parrying Morningstar of Wounding (CL10)
+1 Unruly Humanbane Falchion (Spinereaver) (CL8)
+2 Morningstar (CL6)
+2 Spell Resistance Chainmail [SR 19] (CL15)
+2 Undead Controlling Light Steel Shield (CL13)
+2 Unholy Warhammer (CL7)
Amulet of Natural Armor +4 (CL12)
Belt of Death (+2 profane bonus to AC; death knell [continuous–10 min./level, cleric (8th)]) (CL8)
Hat of Resistance +3 (CL9)
Profane Mantle of the Caster (+2 profane bonus to saves; bonus 5th-level spell) (CL6)
Ring of Minor Electricity Resistance (CL3)
Robe of Protection (+4 deflection bonus to AC) (CL12)
Shadow Longblade (+2 longsword) (CL9)

Phar - Spellcraft checks with Detect Magic (Major Magical Items [30 + caster level]):
1D20+14 = [11]+14 = 25 (failed)
1D20+14 = [2]+14 = 16 (failed)
1D20+14 = [14]+14 = 28 (failed)
1D20+14 = [12]+14 = 26 (failed)
1D20+14 = [4]+14 = 18 (failed)
1D20+14 = [6]+14 = 20 (failed)
1D20+14 = [9]+14 = 23 (failed)
1D20+14 = [19]+14 = 33 (success)
1D20+14 = [10]+14 = 24 (failed)
1D20+14 = [19]+14 = 33 (success)

So, Phar successfully identifies the shield with arrow deflection, spinereaver, the magical hat, the electricity ring, and the shadow longblade. Phar also knows the history of the +1 Heavy Steel Shield of Arrow Deflection including who created it. I'll post those details later.

Aid Another could turn three of the failures into successes but only one other PC can help Phar.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Remaining Major Items
+1 Anarchic Thundering Cold Iron Javelin of Returning (CL7)
+1 Keen Parrying Morningstar of Wounding (CL10)
+2 Morningstar (CL6)
+2 Spell Resistance Chainmail [SR 19] (CL15)
+2 Undead Controlling Light Steel Shield (CL13)
+2 Unholy Warhammer (CL7)
Amulet of Natural Armor +4 (CL12)
Belt of Death (+2 profane bonus to AC; death knell [continuous–10 min./level, cleric (8th)]) (CL8)
Profane Mantle of the Caster (+2 profane bonus to saves; bonus 5th-level spell) (CL6)
Robe of Protection (+4 deflection bonus to AC) (CL12)

Scarborax can only succeed for the major magical items if he rolls a Natural 20 on his Spellcraft checks.

Scarborax - Spellcraft checks with Detect Magic (Major Magical Items [30 + caster level]):
1D20+9 = [5]+9 = 14
1D20+9 = [14]+9 = 23
1D20+9 = [9]+9 = 18
1D20+9 = [8]+9 = 17
1D20+9 = [13]+9 = 22
1D20+9 = [1]+9 = 10
1D20+9 = [8]+9 = 17
1D20+9 = [6]+9 = 15
1D20+9 = [8]+9 = 17
1D20+9 = [8]+9 = 17

All those rolls fail. Aid another will not turn any of them into successes.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases