Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [OOC]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Could you please summarize all the rolls needed so we roll a bunch and you adjudicate the effect in one post rather than we walk through the ritual step by step (unless obviously you want it that way to enter initiative at some point :) )

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Work is quite busy, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to post in the IC. Might not be until next week. If needed, feel free to NPC my character in the meantime.
(Sharing this to several games, so perhaps you'll see me posting quickly after this, or perhaps somewhere else and not here.)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Could you please summarize all the rolls needed so we roll a bunch and you adjudicate the effect in one post rather than we walk through the ritual step by step (unless obviously you want it that way to enter initiative at some point :) )
I did that on this post: Rolls for the Ritual.

I dodn't think there is anything else besides what listed in that post, but I'll doublecheck.

Neurotic

I did that on this post: Rolls for the Ritual.

I dodn't think there is anything else besides what listed in that post, but I'll doublecheck.
Doh!

I'm traveling tomorrow and most of the day after - it hard flying with covid limitations so...yeah. Anyhow, what I post today will have to do for the next 48 hours.

I'll re-read the post for the ritual, sorry for forgetting it

Neurotic

Dispel magic check: 1D20+9+2 = [13]+9+2 = 24
Break enchantment: 1D20+9+2 = [2]+9+2 = 13 :( :eek: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Pious soul: 4D6 = [4, 2, 4, 1] = 11 Barely 3d6 result on 4d6, but should be enough
Total break enchantment: 24

Maur can cast Death ward twice or three times if he foregoes spell immunity since we didn't discuss should it be plane shift or dominate person :) (I'd go with dominate, but protection from evil works the same way and it is first level spell)

We also didn't comment if we're doing it in the grove or Maur needs to consecrate the area somewhere away from it?

Owls wisdom and Eagle splendor will have no effect on the ritual because of the duration and they don't really help with caster level checks...does anything we can cast?

If there is nothing like that, he would simply prepare the adventuring spells (since they are expecting danger) - I didn't update those spells, but since 5th is taken by Break enchantment and 4t with death ward...others should be like specified there.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Since Caerth has access to Greater Dispel Magic, I was going to roll a caster level check for @JustinCase.

Caerth - Greater Dispel Magic Caster Level Check (+11): 1D20+11+2 = [13]+11+2 = 26

That is just high enough to hit the revised DC of 26.

Neurotic said:
Break enchantment: 1D20+9+2 = [2]+9+2 = 13 :( :eek: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Pious soul: 4D6 = [4, 2, 4, 1] = 11 Barely 3d6 result on 4d6, but should be enough
Total break enchantment: 24
Yikes! That was too close. But, with pious soul, Maur succeeds.

Neurotic said:
Maur can cast Death ward twice or three times if he foregoes spell immunity since we didn't discuss should it be plane shift or dominate person :) (I'd go with dominate, but protection from evil works the same way and it is first level spell)

We also didn't comment if we're doing it in the grove or Maur needs to consecrate the area somewhere away from it?
The ritual is definitely being done at the grove.

Neurotic said:
Owls wisdom and Eagle splendor will have no effect on the ritual because of the duration and they don't really help with caster level checks...does anything we can cast?

If there is nothing like that, he would simply prepare the adventuring spells (since they are expecting danger) - I didn't update those spells, but since 5th is taken by Break enchantment and 4t with death ward...others should be like specified there.
There aren't very many spells that improve caster level, that I've discovered so far. Death Knell does, but that's a murderous evil spell. There is Create Magical Tattoo from the Spell Compendium but in order to get the bonus to caster level, the spell requires requires the caster to be 13th level and make a successful DC 20 Craft check.

It seems that improving caster level is done mainly with magic items: Ankh of Ascension [RoF], Orange Ioun Stone, Ring of Arcane Might [CA], Strand of Prayer Beads (bead of karma). Of course, the PCs don't have access to any of these items for the ritual. 🙁

But, Caerth just made the caster level check, so it's all good.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Okay, so I rolled Galzadar's Fortitude save for the Break Enchantment part of the ritual.

Galzadar - Fortitude save (DC 15): 1D20+5 = [6]+5 = 11 +1 (resistance) = 12 (failed)
That includes a +2 for the PCs putting Galzadar's amulet of health back on him.

Galzadar - Vile Damage from Ritual (break enchantment): 1D8 = [6] = 6

Due to him taking damage from the ritual, Galzadar is now considered Hostile to all but Caerth and Eutharic (considered Unfriendly to both) for the Diplomacy check to convince him to accept the Atonement spell after Remove Curse is cast first. No caster level check is required for the Remove Curse spell.

Rolling Galzadar's Will save...
Galzader - Will save (DC 15): 1D20+7 = [13]+7 = 20 +1 (resistance) = 21 (saves)

So, the Diplomacy check must be rolled next. The DC to make Galzadar truly accept the Atonement spell is 35 for anyone other than Caerth. For Caerth it is 25 but he doesn't have any ranks in the skill.

Aid another can be used but I'll want to see some good roleplaying posts if I'm going to allow more than one PC help with Aid Another. At the very least, one PC can make the check and one PC (or Aureus) can Aid Another.

Aureus doesn't have any ranks in Diplomacy.

Which PC has the best chance to succeed on a Diplomacy roll?

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Phar is at +8, Maur +6. Add eagle splendor perhaps? That's it. Man, Akos would barely have to roll :p
Eagle's splendor would be okay to use. I also believe there are a few spells that can boost a skill check.

EDIT: Heroism or greater heroism. There is the clerical spell known as Divine Insight from the Spell Compendium. That would use up another 2nd level spell for Maur for the day. It must be cast before the check is rolled, and Maur would have to cast it on himself.

Last edited:

Remove ads