Kulan: Knightfall's Shackled City Legacy PbP Game [IC] (Game Cancelled)

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Pi finds his way to Obsidian Avenue through Coin Street and wide alleyway. The Obsidian Marketplace is one of busiest in the city, but usually more in late afternoon. Right now, the number of patrons is sparse. As Pi makes his way through around the tents of the marketplace he hears many of the vendors complaining about not only the noise fromthe barracks, but also an issue that has cropped up around the city. Well, that's the rumor that Pi has heard.

"It was a horrible mess," a cloth vendor complains. "Someone scrawled horrible markings on my shop. It was done with blood and offal."

"Oh, that's digusting," a noblewoman replies in shock. "And no one knows who is doing it?"

"The guards think it might have been a new gang of toughs, but no one has been able to track them down. If it is rascals, they are making life miserable. I heard that this has happened elsewhere in the city."

His interest piqued, Brother Pi approaches the cloth vendor and his costumer at a leasurely, calm pace.

"Markings in blood?" the dwarf asks in a pleasant tone. "What did they look like?"

He looks around, leaning on his broom for a moment, before continuing, "If you haven't cleaned them yet, would you mind if I take a look? Perhaps I can help track those responsible. And help clean up the mess, of course."

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Kane turns to the waitress and says, "Drinks will suffice, we must depart momentarily."

After saying that, Kane tips the Halfling woman another silver.
"Thank you, sir," she replies.

"Well I can't say no to an opportunity to do some investigating." Dorin says with a smile. "Where would you like to start the search for Bravec?"
Kane replies, "I was thinking Lake Park. It's on the lake, and it's the biggest grove of trees in town."
With an agreement as of where to start looking for Bravec, the two adventurers set off northeast from Harlequin's Pavilion along Lava Avenue until they reach the intersection with Broken Glass Way. Kane knows the connecting road to Ash Avenue is the quickest way to reach Lake Park...

Bravec involuntarily covers his nose at the smell, but he makes himself get close to examine the writing. "That goo on the walls certainly looks like a language of some sort. I might have to show it to some others to figure out what it could be or what it says." He rubs his beard in thought and then turns his attention to the tracks.
"So, it isn't just something random," Vilmar says. "There was an intent here, more than just mischief."

The sailmaker watches as Bravec studies the obvious muddy footprints and tries to find more of them on the cobblestones on Ash Avenue. The urban druid moves seemlessly through the crowd looking for any more footprints but can't find any more. He is studying the ground intently just as Kane and Dorin come to the intersection of Broken Glass Way and Ash Avenue.

Kane sees Bravec right away and wonders what he could possibly be doing. Then he sees Vilmar Sorison standing nearby and he realizes that Bravec must be helping the sailmaker with something important. Kane knows Vilmar more by his reputation, and from what Bravec has told him about the man's good character.

Dorin notes that Kane has stopped to watch a young man staring intently at the cobblestones of the avenue. Dorin can tell that Kane knows him.

Bravec doesn't see them until they are almost on top of him.

OOC: It looks like dwarven is going to make sense given that he grew up here. I won't metagame and try to guess what might be scrawled on the wall for my selection though the temptation is strong. :lol:

Not sure what is most appropriate here to identify the tracks. No knowledge nature for an urban druid, so +1 untrained at best, Survival is +2, knowledge local is +3 if this is some common inhabitant of the city maybe.
OOC: Well, I wasn't sure if you'd made a choice, so I figured I ask. (Bravec can tell the scrawls are not dwarven in design.) The Search skill is used to find footprints. To follow tracks, however, you need either the Track feat or the Urban Tracking feat (from UA). The second one would be best while trying to follow tracks in the city.

Search check: 1d20+3=13 | This isn't high enough for Bravec to find more footprints.

OOC: Note: I am still following the thread, even though Oleander is not yet involved.
OOC: Okay, good to know. I'll push you towards the others. Hmm, you did see this post, right?: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...-PbP-Game-IC&p=7083502&viewfull=1#post7083502

Oleander decides to take the Borough Bridge across to the isolated island of the Woeborough. It's easier for him to blend in here than across the Elfbridge to Obsidian Avenue South. Plus, this way he doesn't have to pass by the scrutiny of the guards of the Southern Barracks. He finds The Woeway packed with peoples as he makes his way north past the districts tenaments and the Brightcastle Tavern, which is anything but bright. It is one a handful of buildings that survived the eruption and was reclaimed once the bridges were built.

Oleander soon passes onto the Weavers' Bridge, which links the Woeborough with the northeast part of the city. He soon finds himself on Rockfall Street where the Dwarven District once stood before it relocated to the western side of Stonecutter Bridge along the southern half of Lava Avenue. A few of the more stubborn dwarven shopkeeper refused to relocate and Rockfall Street is where several stalwarts remain including Sanzagh's Tomes — a great shop to find dwarven-based arcana.

Of course, Sanzagh's shop thrived due to his patron Abernath Vaine who's fine tower rises into the sky on the western edge of Obsidian Avenue. Vaine is is a well-known wizard and is a member of the Order of the Silver Hand. He was once an apprentice to Lord Mayor Grofus, or so he once heard from a 'friend' of his who was a bit obsessed with the lord mayor. Oleander knew if Dorin was walking with him near this tower, Dorin would chew his ear off about Vaine's many adventurers alongside the lord mayor.

Oleander soon finds himself passing by the Obsidian Marketplace, heading for the northern part of the city. He overhears a conversation about some strange markings and notes that a broom-carrying dwarf has taken note as well.

His interest piqued, Brother Pi approaches the cloth vendor and his costumer at a leasurely, calm pace.

"Markings in blood?" the dwarf asks in a pleasant tone. "What did they look like?"
"Hmm, oh, hello there," the vendor says in response, only half looking at Brother Pi. "Care for some fine sil-" The vendor realizes that Pi had been listened to what he'd been saying. "Do I know you?" He asks quizzically. "Why would-"

He looks around, leaning on his broom for a moment, before continuing, "If you haven't cleaned them yet, would you mind if I take a look? Perhaps I can help track those responsible. And help clean up the mess, of course."
"Ah, an adventurous sort are you? Looking to make a mark for yourself, hmm?" The vendor says with mild interest. He notes the broom in Brother Pi's hands. "I hope you have a better weapon than that. This is serious business.

"And to answer your question, of course I had it cleaned up. The last thing I's want is for my valued customers to see that horrible mess. But, if you are willing to do some legwork, I'm sure I could pay you a small fee, if you're successful. Oh, but this has put me in a foul mood, where are my manners! I am Anikagar Zalachia, owner and master weaver of Threads of Destiny. If you can help, mister dwarf, I would very much appreciate it."

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Oleander soon finds himself passing by the Obsidian Marketplace, heading for the northern part of the city. He overhears a conversation about some strange markings and notes that a broom-carrying dwarf has taken note as well.
Oleander notes the anomaly and think to himself...
~Not that it is odd to see a dwarf with a broom, but there is definitely something more to that one.~

Oleander pauses at another stall, trying to appear natural while also trying to discern more information about the interesting dwarf.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"Pleased to meet you, master Zalachia," the dwarf replies to the merchant. "I am Brother Pi."

The pleasant smile does not leave the dwarf's face as he continues, "A broom is exactly the right tool to clean away scum. And I do not require payment for doing the right thing."

Looking around, Pi's gaze immediately finds Oleander's. Lingering for a moment, he eventually turns back to the merchant.

"So where can I start?"

Scotley

Hero
Bravec shakes his head in frustration. "I'm sorry, but the tracks are lost to me here. I think the scribbles on the walls are our best bet..." he trails off as two men approach. He looks them over curiously. The little wheeled cart next to him starts to roll and he grabs the handle before it can roll away, though the ground here looks pretty level.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Bravec said:
...he trails off as two men approach. He looks them over curiously.

Kane approaches the puzzled Druid with a warm smile, extending his hand for a handshake. When he is close enough, he whispers, "Fooled ya again! Ha ha, it's me, Kane. You got a minute?"

Scotley

Hero
The tall bearded Druid's eyes widen in surprise and then dance with mirth as he takes the other man's hand in a strong handshake. He pulls the disguised Cleric in close for a one armed hug and whispers back. "And who is your companion? If he's skilled at masquerades as you it is likely my own brother fooling me as well." He steps back and scratches his beard for a moment. "Your arrival might be fortuitous. My friend the sail-maker has a little problem. Are you knowledgeable about scripts? Might you recognize the source of some writing?" He glances at the third man awaiting and introduction.

Thateous

Explorer
Dorin's eyebrow perks up at the mention of scripts and his head is filled with a sense of jubilation. What mysteries could be revealed through the investigation of the penmanship, the choice of ink and paper, or the level of grammar used. Each one could reveal a little more knowledge about the author. Like that one journal he read when...

Dorin's focus shifts from the ramblings of his inner voice to the very real world in front of him. As the druid eyes him, Dorin had no way of knowing how long the man had been staring at him. He cleared his throat to mask the embarrassment in his voice. "Greetings druid. My name is Dorin and I believe I could be of some help if script knowledge is what you're looking for. I specialize in the study of monsters, but script analysis is not outside of my purview." he extends his hand and give a firm professional handshake before saying, "You are the first druid I've had the pleasure of meeting that preferred the ambiance of a town to that of nature. Perhaps, when the time is right, we could sit down over a drink and discuss it? Oh, my apologies. My pursuit of knowledge borders on becoming the eighth deadly sin." he says with a smile.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases