D&D 3E/3.5 [Kulan] The Lands of Harqual (Updated: Feb 3/2022)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I've been working out the details for this gazetteer entry for a long time. It finally feels done; although, the population numbers might get tweaked. - KF

GREYSTONE
Proper Name:
The Kingdom of the Greystones
Ruler(s): Her Thunderous Monarch, High Thane Sannl Blackforge [LN female high dwarf Ari8/War8]; and the Thanes of the Greystones (there are three thanes that pay fealty to the High Thane; they have little power that the High Thane doesn't give them.)
Government: Dwarven Monarchy
Capital: Milo
Major Towns: Alfaun (pop. – 2,500), Beriyar (pop. – 2,870), Dane (pop. – 1,025), Durgarn’s Hill (pop. – 4,890), Gendkel (pop. – 2,050), Greywind (pop. – 6,000), Highheart (pop. – 3,200), Kartelormar (pop. – 4,350), Kebiular (pop. – 1,162), Keligar (pop. – 1,010), Milo (pop. – 250,000), Mt. Thunder (pop. – 12,500), Olvmer (pop. – 4,995), Shale (pop. – 1,240), Stonehill (pop. – 3,754), Tergalar (pop. – 3,800), Torhilo (pop. – 1,165), Vale Hill (pop. - 4,559), Welga (pop. – 200). (There are a dozen dwarven clanhomes scattered throughout the Greystone Mountains in addition to the communities listed here. Each clanhome is considered a small town unto itself.
Provinces: One high kingship, three kingships, six principalities, twelve high baronies, twenty-four low baronies, and a dozen hereditary dwarven clans that pay fealty to the thanes.)
Resources: Craft (dwarven), gems (various), metals (all except Mithral, tin and zinc), phosphorous, and timber.
Coinage: Full Plate (pp), Great Axe (5 gp bar), Plate (gp), Axe (5 sp bar), Shield (sp), Buckler (cp).
Population: 3,250,000 – Dwarf (high) 90%, Dwarf (hill) 4%, Elf (silver) 2%, Halfling (icefoot) 2%, Other Races 2%.
Languages: Common, Dwarven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Orc, Terran, Waracou.
Alignments: LG *, LN, NG, N, NE
Patron God: Moradin.
Major Religions: Berronar, Boccob, Calphas, Clangeddin, Jalivier, Mayela, and Muamman.
Minor Religions: Abbathor, Angrboda, Cull, Dike, Dumathoin, Hades, Inanna, and Vergadain.
Shrines and Cults: Anacoro, Anon, Enduma, Jaeger, Sialic, Vespin, and Zell.
Alliances: Kingdom of the Silver Leaves (trade alliance); Principality of the Shining Stones (strained); Wind Cities (military).

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I just did a major update to the thread. I've tried to clean up some of the formatting but I still have a lot to do.

Mainly, I updated these four section of my "Races of Harqual" project. These posts are for the section I call "The Racial Miscy." The posts aren't 100% finished, but I wanted to have specific spots for them all set and ready to copy & paste into.

Part One: The Goblinoid Races

Part Two: The Lizardfolk

Part Three: The Savage Races

Part Four: The Other Races
Plus: The Other Others

These replace several "updates" that I posted a while ago. Those blank posts will be used for something else... gazetteer entries, most likely. - KF

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
DRAGONBORN [OF KULAN]
I really like D&D Races of the Dragon, but I'm not fond of the dragonborn and spellscales races in it as presented. I prefer the 4e version, so I decided to build a v.3.5e version of the race that is based on combining the two races in RotD with the 4e version as well as some of the MM v.3.5 lizardfolk thrown in as well.

DRAGONBORN ON HARQUAL
Work in Progress

Here's my first draft of the racial traits for the Dragonborn of Kulan.

Dragonborn Racial Traits
Dragonborn benefit from a number of racial traits:
  • +2 to Strength, -2 to Dexterity, +2 to Constitution, +2 to Charisma. Dragonborn are strong in body and they project a confidence that is hard to ignore, yet they are not very graceful in their movements.
  • Monstrous Humanoid: Dragonborn are monstrous humanoids, and are therefore immune to spells that only affect humanoids, such as charm person.
  • Dragonblooded Subtype: For all effects related to race, a dragonborn is considered a dragon. For example, they are just as vulnerable to special effects that affect dragons as their dragon ancestors are, and they can use magic items that are only usable by dragons.
  • Medium-sized. As Medium creatures, dragonborn have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
  • A dragonborn's base land speed is 30 feet.
  • Keen Vision (Ex): Dragonborn have low-light vision that allows them see twice as far as a human can in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of low illumination. They also have darkvision at a range of 60 feet.
  • +2 dodge bonus to AC against creatures of the dragon subtype. Dragonborn are strongly linked to dragons; therefore, they have an innate sense when fighting such opponents.
  • Racial Hit Dice: A dragonborn begins with three levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 3d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +3, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +1.
  • Racial Skills: A dragonborn’s monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 6 x (2 + Int Modifier). Its class skills are Climb, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (dracology), Knowledge (history), Sense Motive, Stamina, and Swim. A dragonborn gains a +2 racial bonus to Intimidate, Knowledge (dracology), Knowledge (history) checks.
  • Racial Feats: A dragonborn's monstrous humanoid levels give it two feats.
  • Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A dragonborn is automatically proficient with simple weapons and shields.
  • +5 natural armor bonus.
  • Natural Weapons: 2 claws (1d4) and bite (1d4).
  • Immunity to Frightful Presence: Dragonborn are immune to the frightful presence ability of dragons, just as if they were dragons.
  • Dragon Breath (Su): A dragonborn gains a breath weapon. The breath weapon is a bright, multicolored line of energy. The line's length is 15 feet plus 5 feet per Hit Die the dragonborn has, up to a maximum of 100 feet at 20 HD. The breath weapon deals 2d8 points of damage, plus and extra 1d8 points for each 3 HD the dragonborn possesses (3d8 at 6 HD, 4d8 at 9 HD, and so on.) The damage can be acid, cold, electricity, or fire, changing on each use as the dragonborn chooses. A successful Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 the dragonborn's HD + his Con Modifier) halves the damage. A dragonborn can use his breath weapon once every 1d4 rounds.
  • Automatic Languages: Draconic and any one regional language. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Goblin, Halfling, Kitt, Orc, Rakasta, and any one regional language. Dragonborn are known throughout the World of Kulan; therefore, they may choose from a variety of languages.
  • Favored Class: Players may choose either the Fighter or Sorcerer class as their dragonborn's favored class. Once the player has made this choice the decision cannot be changed. A multiclass dragonborn's favored class does not count when determining whether he suffers an XP penalty for multiclassing.
  • Level Adjustment: +4
Random Starting Ages
Adult: 20 years
Bbn/Rog/Sor: +1d8
Brd/Ftr/Pal/Rgr/Trd: +1d12
Clr/Drd/Elm/Mnk/Wiz: +2d8

Aging Effects
Middle Age: 100 years
Old: 190 years
Venerable: 280 years
Maximum Age: +5d20 years

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Yes, I'm all about the details. I'll be changng a few things regarding racial traits, now that I have D&D Unearthed Arcana (i.e. Ice Elves = Arctic Elves).
lemontree, thanks for your comment!

I love working out the details. I've always been about modifying the core races and classes. Building this world has become my favorite pastime. I'm always adding to it and looking for new ideas to borrow from other gamers and their settings.

And Unearthed Arcana is a great book. :D

Do you have Savage Species? That's a great reference as well.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
These two PDFs update my god conversion lists for Greyhawk and the Forgotten Realms.

Attachments

• Greyhawk Deity Conversion Chart.pdf
    155.3 KB · Views: 641
  • Realms Deity Conversion Chart.pdf
    135.4 KB · Views: 438

M8

First Post
Wow. I started to read through this thread to realise that it is so "frickin" huge! It's nigh impossible for a mere mortal like me. Do you have some kind of "table of contents" where I could cherry pick the articles I'm most interested in? (right now it's the races and places, I would like to understand which race lives at which continent. And whats the difference between them.)

Also, I wanted to do something like this for the last few years (of course with my own campaign world), but I never thought my version would be more than 50 or so "articles" yours is over thousand, with dozens of awesome maps.
Kudos! Huge and great work.

Edit: never mind. I've found your piazza forum, which has a very neat introduction to your game world. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases