Leadership and Cohorts

The Madhatter

First Post
I was looking for an expanded list of cohorts and their level equivalents, preferably in the FR. I was really looking for a mount for my 9th level barbarian. I didn't want just ride a horse. I looked at an awakened warhorse, a Dire Horse or a Legendary Horse (both Masters of the Wild) and I couldn't find a level adjustment to add to the hit dice. I was hoping they would take the creature into account because I would be disappointed if my 4th level cohort was a warhorse rather than an NPC since "technically" a warhorse is a 4th level creature.

Squire James

First Post
The best way to simulate a "dire" or "legendary" horse is to simply take a normal horse and advance it by 1 or more Hit Dice. Add 1 to its effective level per extra HD, and add +1 to one physical ability score per level added (this is reasonable given it's the only "class ability" the horse is going to get). The horse remains normal size, so it will not get any ability mods from size.

So, if you are entitled to a level 7 cohort, you can get a Heavy Warhorse with 3 extra HD and 3 +1 bonuses to physical ability scores.

Sorry to hijack. . .
I saw a WotC NPC some time back that had more than one cohort.

Can a character take leadership more than once? Is there some other way to get multiple cohorts?

As to your question, are you looking specifically for a mount, or even more so, for a horse? Otherwise, you might check Races of Faerun.

The Madhatter

First Post
Arbiter of Wyrms said:
Sorry to hijack. . .

Can a character take leadership more than once? Is there some other way to get multiple cohorts?

As to your question, are you looking specifically for a mount, or even more so, for a horse? Otherwise, you might check Races of Faerun.
I'd prefer a horse, but I'm open to other mounts.

I don't have books on hand, so I'll have to look up the cohort LA's later, but there's the disenchanter, which might be a fun mount, especially if you're playing one of those old-fashioned anti-wizardry barbarians.

On the other hand, there's some kind of draconic, horse-like creature in Draconomican, but again, I don't have the LA handy. There was a "dopple-steed," maybe? in a third party book we've got somewhere. . . I think it was too high a level, though, and I'm sure that a legendary horse is too much. As I recall, the whole idead is that the gods award legendary animals to super-high-level druids.

Sorry to not be of more help.

Kilroy

First Post
Go with whatever horse you can get for your allowed cohort, but be sure to advance it as you go up levels. Maybe sucker the DM into giving you a normal horse with barbarian levels. ;-)

Fieari

Explorer
Awakening the horse and adding class levels sounds like the best bet to me. Class levels can be added to anything with an int of 3 or higher. Take advantage of this.

KerlanRayne

Explorer
Use a horse for now and get a Pegasus as soon as you can.
PEGASUS
Large Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 4d10+12 (34 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares), fly 120 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 14 (–1 size, +2 Dex, +3 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+12
Attack: Hoof +7 melee (1d6+4)
Full Attack: 2 hooves +7 melee (1d6+4) and bite +2 melee (1d3+2)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent, spell-like abilities
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +6, Will +4
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 13
Skills: Diplomacy +3, Listen +8, Sense Motive +9, Spot +8
Feats: Flyby Attack, Iron Will
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary, pair, or herd (6–10)
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually chaotic good
Advancement: 5–8 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: +2 (cohort)

The pegasus is a magnificent winged horse that sometimes serves the cause of good. Though highly prized as aerial steeds, pegasi are wild and shy creatures not easily tamed.

A typical pegasus stands 6 feet high at the shoulder, weighs 1,500 pounds, and has a wingspan of 20 feet.

Pegasi cannot speak, but they understand Common.
Then add class levels. They make great mounts.

KerlanRayne

irdeggman

First Post
Arbiter of Wyrms said:
Sorry to hijack. . .

This topic has come up numerous times.

As written, you can't take the feat more than once. But also as written it does not limit you to the number of cohorts available only to their level. (3.5 text)

Jacen

First Post
irdeggman said:
This topic has come up numerous times.

As written, you can't take the feat more than once. But also as written it does not limit you to the number of cohorts available only to their level. (3.5 text)

Wasn't it that it can be taken multiple times (each giving new cohorot but no more followers) othervice you can have only one at time. If cohorot dies you can get a new one so not limitet that way.

At least I had that kind of impression.

Remove ads