Blog (A5E) Let’s Look At Exploration in Level Up

One of our primary goals with Level Up is to expand and fully flesh out the game’s exploration pillar. There are various ways we’re doing that: we’re giving all characters exploration knacks themed to their character class, we’re making a few tweaks here and there to spells and abilities which interact with that pillar, and we’re writing new journey rules.

o.l.d-page-58.jpg

rules.mechanic

Craft homebrewer
I really like the concept of the exploration challenges and provides a solid role for the exploration pillar. I think the supplies resource makes a lot of sense - a balance of an important new resource to keep track of but not over-complicated by needing to specify each type of supply. And feeds neatly into the RAW rules for long rest requiring food and drink. But VERY curious about fatigue and resolve. I'm guessing fatigue might link into exertion points? But I don't think we've heard about resolve yet?

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
This really sounds cool.

I'm certain this has been addressed, link to response or summary appreciated. Not being persnickety, I dig Level Up and plan to back it. That being said, as far as design philosophy goes, why would a person play this and not Pathfinder / X game?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
this interesting bit really caught my eye
The dispel DC for it is 15.
That sounds like there will be a skill for arcane inclined types to leverage their arcane knowledge against static magical things like that growth or wards other than "yep it's a magic trap, bilbo pull out your thieve's tools my job here is done"

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
Because they like 5E. 5E isn’t the same as Pathfinder.
Apologies for not being clear.

IMO if I want to play a "crunchier, more flexible version" of a d20 based fantasy RPG (that uses all the terms I and my players are already familiar with) there is a well made, popular game with tons of source material and amazing fans / community already.

My question is how Level Up is going to hit some of these sweet spots and not (inevitably) be compared to something that has already been done rather capably?

Clearly, my experience only but there is a name for people who like 5E but wish it was crunchier and had more options and more flexibility - they're called Pathfinder players :ROFLMAO:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Apologies for not being clear.

IMO if I want to play a "crunchier, more flexible version" of a d20 based fantasy RPG (that uses all the terms I and my players are already familiar with) there is a well made, popular game with tons of source material and amazing fans / community already.

My question is how Level Up is going to hit some of these sweet spots and not (inevitably) be compared to something that has already been done rather capably?

Clearly, my experience only but there is a name for people who like 5E but wish it was crunchier and had more options and more flexibility - they're called Pathfinder players :ROFLMAO:
I disagree. I’m playing in a PF2 campaign right
now, which I’m enjoying very much, but I do not believe Pathfinder is an advanced version of 5E. It’s it’s own thing, a different game. An awesome game, but a different one. What we’re making is 5E.

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
I disagree. I’m playing in a PF2 campaign right
now, which I’m enjoying very much, but I do not believe Pathfinder is an advanced version of 5E. It’s it’s own thing, a different game. An awesome game, but a different one. What we’re making is 5E.
I have 0 XP with PF2, I played a ranger original PF level 1-7 before my brain dribbled out of my ear... :rolleyes:

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases