Playtest (A5E) Level Up Playtest Document #13: Cleric

Welcome to the 13th Level Up playtest document. This playtest contains a candidate for the first...

Welcome to the 13th Level Up playtest document. This playtest contains a candidate for the first 10 levels of the game’s cleric class. We're nearing the end of this phase of class playtests, with only a couple left to go!

cleric.jpg

What this is
This is a playtest document. We’d love you to try out the rules presented here, and then answer the follow-up survey in a few days.

What this is not
This is NOT the final game. It’s OK if you don’t like elements of these rules; that’s the purpose of a playtest document. Be sure to participate in the follow-up survey in a few days. All data, positive or negative is useful.

What we use this for
Your survey responses help form the direction of the game as it goes through the development process.

Don’t forget!
Sign up for the mailing list for notifications of playtests, surveys, and news, and also ensure you get notified on Kickstarter when the project launches in 2021.

When you're ready, please fill out the playtest survey here:

R_J_K75

Legend
Any idea on a price point, format (1, 2 or 3 books) and a estimated time of when the Kickstarter will go live? I understand its all fluid at this point and you want to make sure things are playtested, but just wondering?

aco175

Legend
Overall, I like the cleric better now than the PHB one. I like the options at the various levels and think that it makes each cleric more unique. I first thought they were being shortchanged with only simple weapons and armor, but then you get to choose a power at first level that grants armor and weapons or one that allows you to add your Wis modifier to AC- cool.

The only turnoff if calling your god a greater entity or whatever kept being said. I get it, but find it meh.

Jeff Carpenter

Adventurer
The vows of Chastity and Mercy raised some issues for me.

Chastity can be a hard vow to keep in real life, but easy as heck for your PC so no real downside.

Mercy is fine, but disappoint to read you are keeping one of my least favorite rules in 5e, the ability to decide after you strike someone that you are not going to kill them. Again no real downside in 95% of combats.

Maybe that is the point to have easy vows?

Speaking of non lethal I have a simple house rules for this, that starts with declaring before you strike and applying penalties to hit and damage based on the weapon. Trying to knock someone out of the fight is a lot easier with a club or your firsts than it is with short sword or a pike.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Speaking of non lethal I have a simple house rules for this, that starts with declaring before you strike and applying penalties to hit and damage based on the weapon. Trying to knock someone out of the fight is a lot easier with a club or your firsts than it is with short sword or a pike.
Is it? Bash them with the short sword's pommel or cross-check them in the face with the pike. Neither of those should be particularly harder than hitting them with the pointy end (they ought to be doing everything in their power to avoid that eventuality). These kinds of attacks should come with basic proficiency with the weapons (if you don't know how to use weapons for non-standard attacks, you don't know how to fight).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Any idea on a price point, format (1, 2 or 3 books) and a estimated time of when the Kickstarter will go live? I understand its all fluid at this point and you want to make sure things are playtested, but just wondering?
There’s a picture of the book lineup on the website. When we have a KS date, believe me we won’t be quiet about it. You’ll want us to shut up about it!

Thanks for the preview. A few questions/points of concern:

1. Sacred Call: I love this addition and think it adds some good RP depth to the class. My only "concern" is that some of the abilities are objectively better than the others. Magnetic Missionary has 0 drawbacks. Ordination has no real drawbacks, but is only usable in select areas so its use is situational. However Zeal of the Convert has a baked in drawback that should be encountered semi-regularly. I would kind of like to see something similar in the others (Maybe Magnetic Missionary has something that happens when you do roll a 1).
  2. Divine Domain: I echo Garmel's request to see the Arcana/Magic domain added. Also I'm interested in how you've tinkered with the Domains themselves. Any way you could preview an updated Domain? 🙏🙏
  3. Devoted Vow: So I'm torn on this ability. The thematic element is great and I do love me some thematic elements. My worry is that the vows are basically "give mes" for the players. A vow of Chastity IRL is difficult for most. In game it's easy. I almost wonder if having each vow customizable around in-game situations (example: Maybe a player that chooses a vow of chastity cannot willing be the target of a buff spell as they feel their flesh must remain pure).
Still parsing the other info, but these popped up right away.

Remove ads

Remove ads