Logistics + Price for publishing a 6x9 Hardcover like ICRPG & EZD6

Jface

Villager
Morning Everyone,

I’m just curious if anyone has information or resources regarding the logistics behind printing a book like ICRPG or EZD6. Mainly what companies, prices, bulk, etc. I want to start gearing up for a Kickstarter and am trying to just get all the information together

Jface

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm not familiar with those books, but the price of an offset print run will vary based on size, page count, format, quantity (the unit price drops drastically with larger print runs), and printing location (US, EU, China). The price of print-on-demand will be higher. You can get a quote from most printing companies.

Jface

Villager
I'm not familiar with those books, but the price of an offset print run will vary based on size, page count, format, quantity (the unit price drops drastically with larger print runs), and printing location (US, EU, China). The price of print-on-demand will be higher. You can get a quote from most printing companies.
Thanks. I appreciate the info. I was hoping to find out some more insight into what other Kickstarters have done. Maybe what printing companies they potentially utilized. The sweet spot for # of buyers, etc.

It was sort of a long shot to post here, but hoping someone has some knowledge. I’ve tried also reaching out to people who had successful kickstarters but havent heard back from them just yet.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Thanks. I appreciate the info. I was hoping to find out some more insight into what other Kickstarters have done. Maybe what printing companies they potentially utilized. The sweet spot for # of buyers, etc.

It was sort of a long shot to post here, but hoping someone has some knowledge. I’ve tried also reaching out to people who had successful kickstarters but havent heard back from them just yet.
Well, I have all that info, but the question is very broad. I can tell you what companies we use, etc. (Standartu in Lithuania for book runs). But without more specific info on your plans, it's hard to answer in anything but the vaguest of terms.

The unit price will drop enormously as the size of the print run increases. At sufficiently large runs, you might be paying a couple of dollars per hardcover book the size of a D&D core rulebook. At smaller print runs that can be 3-5 times that. It's such a variable cost.

China tends to be cheaper than the EU, which tends to be cheaper than the US for printing. But of course, you then have to factor in international shipping, where your books are going to be stored and sent from. We use two warehouses, one in the UK and one in the US.

Generally you'll need a printer, and a fulfillment partner (warehousing and shipping, unless you plan to do all that yourself). In the US we use Quartermaster Logistics, and in the UK/EU we use ShipQuest.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases