RPG Evolution: Looking Back at My Gaming Goals for 2022

Another year, another chance to disappoint myself.

Another year, another chance to disappoint myself. Let's see if I did any better than last year.

new-years-day-6660572__340.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

Paint More Miniatures (Failed)​

Like so many Kickstarter backers of Reaper Bones miniatures, I have more miniatures than I need. I'm still working through my backlog. I ended up painting none of them, not the least of which being because we were so busy during the summer having adventures outdoors there simply wasn't time.

Expand My Online Game (Success)​

I expanded my online D&D group to six to keep our game going after several cancellations. This didn't necessarily stop the cancellations, but it did make them a bit less frequent. It also meant that when all six show up, I need to plan accordingly.

Get Ready for 5.5E (In Progress)​

I've been converting a lot of my D&D content already in anticipation of 5.5E, but until the playtest concludes it will be unclear as to just how many changes are needed. Additionally, Wizards of the Coast has made it clear that the Open Game License will have some caveats for use that it didn't before, so we'll have to see what that means for small press publishers.

Run More Virtual Panels (Success)​

I ran ten virtual panels this year, taking off two months over the summer. You can watch them on the Committee for the Advancement of Role-Playing Games' (CAR-PGA) YouTube Channel. My goal was nine, so I consider this a success.

Go to Conventions Again (Failed)​

As we face yet another Covid surge it's clear that the pandemic isn't going to make convention going easier any time soon. More to the point, many of the gaming conventions I'd like to attend fall on relatives' birthdays; depending on when we celebrate, that makes attending the convention impractical (and yes, I've pitched "let's go to a con for your birthday!" with no takers).

How Did I Do?​

Last year I achieved just 30% of my goals. This year, I did slightly better. At 20% per goal, I racked up two goals or 40% plus a partial for an additional 10%. That's 50%, which isn't bad but still not a passing grade. This year, I have some more concrete goals I plan to focus on, so hopefully achieving them will be easier. More on that in the next article.

Your Turn: Did you achieve any of your gaming goals for last year?

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
2021 and 2022 saw major changes in my life in terms of work and travel. So really my only goal was to keep my main campaign running, which I succeeded in doing. I ran an 8 hour session at least once per month and some months I was able to squeeze in an extra session.

While not a stated goal, I had the desire to play more as a player rather than a DM and try other systems. I was able to do this by joining a number of one shots using Roll20's find a game platform and the startplaying.games site.

For 2023 my goal is to complete my current campaign and try to squeeze in the occasional one shot.

I'm slow as molasses with painting my minis. But in 2022 I at least tried learning more techniques.

Paint More Miniatures (Failed)​

Like so many Kickstarter backers of Reaper Bones miniatures, I have more miniatures than I need. I'm still working through my backlog. I ended up painting none of them, not the least of which being because we were so busy during the summer having adventures outdoors there simply wasn't time.

2022 was the year I returned to conventions. Went to Gary Con and Origins. Got Covid finally at Origins. I had a blast at both, and Gary Con was a long-overdue pilgrimage, but I am hesitant about returning to Origins in 2023. I've got tickets and a hotel room, but we'll see what the pandemic is like come June.

Go to Conventions Again (Failed)​

As we face yet another Covid surge it's clear that the pandemic isn't going to make convention going easier any time soon. More to the point, many of the gaming conventions I'd like to attend fall on relatives' birthdays; depending on when we celebrate, that makes attending the convention impractical (and yes, I've pitched "let's go to a con for your birthday!" with no takers).

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I finally played some Battletech tabletop so that was a win. Still trying to run a Pirates of Drinax campaign in Traveller to completion. Still on the list.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I didn't see any goals for
  • HAVE MOAR FUN!
  • Meet cool new people in and out of the hobby
  • Deepen connections with people i already know including and especially my closest circle of family and friends
  • Create anything
Oh wait, those are my goals :ROFLMAO:

(also, my goals are not SMART goals, yours lean more in that direction)

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I finally played some Battletech tabletop so that was a win. Still trying to run a Pirates of Drinax campaign in Traveller to completion. Still on the list.
Aaah, I'm gearing up for Deepnight Revelation being on my list in 2024. Have to read the entire dang thing first ⛰️ 🌃

Toriel

Explorer
I didn't see any goals for
  • HAVE MOAR FUN!
  • Meet cool new people in and out of the hobby
  • Deepen connections with people i already know including and especially my closest circle of family and friends
  • Create anything
Oh wait, those are my goals :ROFLMAO:

(also, my goals are not SMART goals, yours lean more in that direction)
At the end of the day (or year 😜) these are the most important goals anyone can have.

Looking at your post last year I see from my comment that my goal was to make 3% less joke posts on Enworld.

Looks like I succeeded, but probably just because Spelljammer was confirmed so I took down my bot that was posting "Spelljammer confirmed" on every article.

Maybe I should turn it back on for 2023 with "Actualy Good this time Spelljammer Confirmed"

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Looking at your post last year I see from my comment that my goal was to make 3% less joke posts on Enworld.

Looks like I succeeded, but probably just because Spelljammer was confirmed so I took down my bot that was posting "Spelljammer confirmed" on every article.

Maybe I should turn it back on for 2023 with "Actualy Good this time Spelljammer Confirmed"
You could do "OGL 1.2 confirmed!"

(too soon?)

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads