TSR Looking for information on the TSR side on an apocryphal story

Count_Zero

Adventurer
There's an apocryphal story I've heard about the tabletop RPG industry in Japan that I'd like to see if there's any way to find out if it's true or not.

The story goes like this: One of the common columns and featured works in Japanese tabletop RPG magazines throughout the 1980s and into the 90s are "Replays" - what we'd call now "Actual Play" reports - effectively transcripts of roleplaying sessions, serving as an example of how a roleplaying game is played, as well as serving as inspiration for Game Masters. Among the most popular of these were published by Group SNE, from a D&D group run by Ryo Mizuno, running what we now call the "Record of Lodoss War" Campaigns, and these were run in Group SNE's magazine "Comtiq". All of this part is known to be true.

And this is where we get into Apocrypha - Group SNE also had business relationships with the publisher for D&D in Japan, and based on the success of Lodoss, the sales for D&D were booming. So, according to the story, Group SNE reaches out to TSR through D&D's Japanese publisher to get a license to publish Lodoss as a campaign setting for D&D in Japan, as the first homegrown campaign setting for the game in Japan. TSR's response is "No." The consequence of this is that Group SNE goes "Well, we'll make our own game then", writes the Sword World RPG, which proceeds to outsell D&D in Japan for decades.

So, this would have been at some point in the late '80s, and I'm trying to find out if anyone still around today, who was at TSR at that time, would know if this story has any basis in fact at all.

EDIT: If you were at TSR or the RPG industry at the time, don't personally know if this has any basis in fact, but know who does that would still be incredibly helpful.

Last edited:

Count_Zero

Adventurer
Sorry for the Necro, but I've found a teeny bit more information on this from a Japanese perspective - specifically an interview with Ryu Mizuno (creator of Lodoss) among others, for the anniversary of Lodoss and the new edition of the Lodoss RPG.

Source: ゲーム好きの少年が考えた世界観が「ロードス島戦記」へ。日本のファンタジーシーンに大きな影響を与えた水野 良氏にインタビュー

Translated text from the interview said:
4Gamer:
 Record of Lodoss War started with D&D and changed to the original system halfway through.

Mr. Mizuno:
 When I contacted TSR, the rights holder of D&D at the time, at the stage of publishing the book, I was put on hold. For that reason, we decided to create an original system that repurposed the PC game Record of Lodoss War: The Gray Witch ( *20 ). This was later released as "Record of Lodoss War Companion".

4Gamer:
 Since you're making a book on the D&D system, does it have to be a TSR D&D-related book?

Mr. Mizuno:
 That's why I didn't think their standards were strict. It was rather clear. Because they recognized that the rights to Record of Lodoss War belonged to us. They could have said, ``Since the story was developed in the D&D system, we can't afford to move to another system.'' But he didn't. It was a stance that "you can develop freely as long as you don't use the D&D system."

In short - they called TSR directly on the phone and appear to have gotten either blown off or left on hold so long that they gave up.

Stormonu

Legend
Sorry for the Necro, but I've found a teeny bit more information on this from a Japanese perspective - specifically an interview with Ryu Mizuno (creator of Lodoss) among others, for the anniversary of Lodoss and the new edition of the Lodoss RPG.

Source: ゲーム好きの少年が考えた世界観が「ロードス島戦記」へ。日本のファンタジーシーンに大きな影響を与えた水野 良氏にインタビュー

In short - they called TSR directly on the phone and appear to have gotten either blown off or left on hold so long that they gave up.
Considering the state of communication in the '80s, I'd hate to have seen that Long Distance bill, especially if left on hold.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases