[LPF] The Devil We Know, Part 2

perrinmiller

Villager
Short adventure to rescue a kidnapped investigator

Judge: Satin Knights
DM: Perrinmiller

Heroes:
Galandra Beiryn (soulnova) - Human Ranger
Lem the Cook (Deuce_Traveler) - Halfling Monk
Menik (kinem) - Elf Wizard
Amien Thrus (Det) - Human Barbarian
Vincenzo (Scott DeWar) - Human Fighter
Maui (jbear1979) - Human Druid


[sblock=XP]Clock Starts on 27 Jun 2013 & Ends 3 Oct 2013

Galandra started at 7290XP: Reached 5th level on 30 Sep 2013 with 11247XP
Lem started at 6202XP: Reached 5th level on 30 Sep 2013 with 10159XP
Menik started at 6202XP: Reached 5th level on 30 Sep 2013 with 10159XP
Amien started at 4249XP: Reached 4th level on 29 Aug 2013 with 6009XP
Maui started at 14854XP: Reached 6th level on 8 Jul 2013 with 15003XP
Vincenzo started at 14679XP: Reached 6th level on 2 Jul 2013 with 15016XP

Enc1: 4800XP (27 Aug 2013)
Enc2: 6400XP (30 Sep 2013)
[/sblock][sblock=Treasury]Enc1: 6 Bracers (6000gp), 6 Potion Vials (300gp), 6 daggers (12gp), 2gp = 6314gp
Enc2: +1 Heavy Flail (2315gp), 1 Potion (750gp) = 3065gp
Reward = 500gp
Ship Sale is TBG[/sblock][Sblock=Final Awards]
Earned Gold is 1646.5gp
Totals:
Galandra gained 4060XP & finished at 11,350XP; Earned +4139.5gp
Lem gained 4060XP & finished at 10,265XP & Earned +4139.5gp
Menik gained 4060XP & finished at 10,265XP & Earned +4139.5gp
Amien gained 3597XP & finished at 7846XP & Earned +3609.5gp
Maui gained 6019XP & finished at 20,698XP & Earned +5738.5gp
Vincenzo gained 6121XP & finished at 20,975XP & Earned +5672.5gp
[/Sblock][sblock=Adventure Rules]* I will use group initiatives, rolling them myself. So in combat you must post your actions within 48-72 hours of the players turn coming up. Unless stated by a character that their actions are to follow another character, they will be resolved in posted order. After that time, if there was no communication with the DM, I will NPC the MIA player and move on.

* Dice rollers can be Invisible Castle or http://www.coyotecode.net/roll/ on-line dice rollers for the players. The DM will use his own purple dice at home or an on-line random number generator.

* Please use the exact BBCode link Invis Castle provides. I want to see all the modifiers used. I also want the roll's description to show who is attacked as well. Just like this: Spiked Chain vs. Orc 4 (Kn Dev & -2/+4 PA) (1d20+11=12, 2d4+10=14) I do not want to take the extra time to click any extra links during my updates.

* Any absences for longer than 2-3 days should be communicated to the DM. If you do not post for a week or more without having informed the DM, he reserves the right to remove you from the adventure giving you your share of the XP and treasure earned as well as time XP and gp to the date of your last post

* If your character gets enough XP to level, generally you may do so immediately once combat is finished. Subject to DM approval if the timing is okay. Regardless the date of actual leveling will not change even if use of the new level is delayed in IC action.

* Leveling up mid-campaign: This grants the extra hp, but does not heal damage, and grants any additional spell slots, but not spells prepared. A caster capable of spontaneously casting could use these slots normally, a cleric could only use them for cure or inflict spells, a druid for summon nature's ally, etc. Prepared casters may prepare spells in these slots as if they had left the slots blank for the day, if they are able to do so. They can go through the appropriate spell preparation as if they had already rested if applicable.

* All characters need an appropriate character picture, head-shot preferably, for token on the tactical grids. Also a mini-stat spoiler block that includes a link to your character sheet will be required in every IC post.

* Game Mechanics should be placed in a sblock, leaving only IC content/narration & a character avatar in the meat of a post.

* Do not quote another person's IC content in your post narration.

* Tactical Grids will be using Ditzie, the players will be updating their movements themselves in combat and posting up the new URLs. Whenever you post IC, include the latest map even if your character did not move. This way everyone knows you are done with it. There is no limit to the number times we can update the map. Instead of editing a map link (unless you are the last post), please post a new link if you update again.[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

perrinmiller

Villager


Chairman Maylor Jacobson of the Crusaders of the Raven sits at the table where he waits for you to come join him. Immediately a serving wench delivers a round tray with a pitcher of watered down ale and several mugs. She begins pouring them as you all sit down.

The bearded warrior looks serious, but he nods a greeting,
"Good, you all are here. Well most of you at least."

"But I see you have recruited a few more. I hope you won't need them, but better you have strength in numbers at the start than wishing you had more later when you come up short... Ah, no offense Lem."
 
Last edited:

soulnova

Villager
"The more the merrier" Galandra nods at the rest of the party as she sits down. "I think we got our bases covered this time around"

"Do you have any new information we should be aware of? Did you have problems to find the ship?" she asks with a serious face.

Mika comes and lies between Galandra's feet and tries to get some rest.






[sblock=Ministats Galandra]

Galandra
AC: 18 (Touch 12, Flatfooted 16)
HP: 8/42

Initiative: +2
Perception: +9/+11 vs Humans, Sense Motive: +2/+4 vs Humans, Handle Animal +6/+10 (Animal Companion)
CMB: +8 CMD: 20 Fort: +6 Reflex: +7 Will: +4

Masterwork Falchion +9 [2d4+4] 18-20
Dagger +8 [1d4+3] 19-20
Masterwork Comp Longbow STR3: +7 [1d8+3] x3 (110ft)


Effects: Killer
Combat Feats: Power Attack, Quick Draw, Rapid Shot, Cleave

Conditions: None

In Hand: Masterwork Composite Longbow STR3

Consumables:

Efficient Quiver
  • -Blunt Arrows (20)
  • -Arrows (28)
  • -Masterwork Arrows (10)
  • -Javelins (10)
  • -Spears (3)

Backpack

  • 3 days rations, Wand CLW (5 charges), Oil (2)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats Mika] 6.jpg
Mika, Small Leopard, Animal Companion

Hp 16/16
AC 20


Spd 50 ft
Init +5
F+5, R+8, W+1


Attack +7; bite 1d4 + trip, 2 claws 1d2


Low-light vision, scent.


Stealth +13, Perception +5, Acrobatics +5




Tricks:
-Attack
-Down
-Seek
-Fetch
-Track
-Heel
Bonus trick: Defend[/sblock]
 

WindCrystal

Villager
amien_sketch1_finished_cropped.png
Amien Thrus raises his arms over behind his head in a relaxed casual gesture, "I figured while we were on break I could do some asking around for some helpful hands. I'll be glad I did if things inevitably don't go our way."

[sblock=Mini-Stats]Character Sheet Page


Condition: None
HP: 41/41
AC: 15
AC Touch: 12
AC Flatfooted: 13
Initiative: +2
Fort: +5
Reflex: +3
Will: +0


Glaive Attack: +6, Glaive Damage: 1d10+4 (+8, 1d10+7 under Strength Rage)
Heavy Flail Attack: +6, Heavy Flail Damage: 1d10+4 (+8, 1d10+7 under Strength Rage)
Sling Attack: +4, Sling Damage: 1d4+3
- Sling Bullets (06)


Handy Haversack
- Potion of CLW x3
- Sunrod
- Trail Rations (12 days)
- Wand of CLW x1[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Vincenzo looks to Maui, then to the group and back to the jungle warrior. "Hey, what does the king want to do?" indicating taniwah. His face has a strange determination in it.

[sblock=mini stats]

Vincenzo's character sheet

DEFENSE


Condition: None
HP: 57/57
AC: 19
AC Touch: 14
AC Flatfooted: 16
Initiative: +2
Fort: +6
Reflex: +3
Will: +2

OFFENSE



**,& Rapier : Attack: +11 = [BAB(5) + Str(2) + Magic(2) + W.Focus(1)+ class(!1)]
Damage: 1d6+7, Crit: 18-20/x2, Type: P [str+feat&]
[str +2; wpn spec +2; magic +2]

Dagger, Melee: Attack: +8 = [BAB(5) + Str(2) + Misc(0) + Magic(0)+ class (!1)]
Damage: 1d4+3, Crit: 19-20/x2, Special: range 10', Type: P/S

Dagger, Thrown: Attack: +7 = [BAB(5) + Dex(2) + Misc(0) + Magic (0)]
Damage: 1d4+2, Crit: 19-20/x2, Special: range 10', Type: P/S

Club: Attack: +8 = [BAB(5) + Str(2) + Misc(0) + Magic(0)+ class(!1)]
Damage: 1d6+3, Crit: 20/x2, Type: B

Long Bow, Comp: Attack: + 7 = [BAB(5) + Dex(2) + Misc(0) + Magic(0)]
Mighty +2 Damage: 1d8+2, Crit: x3, Type: P

special notes
**Trait: Fencer (combat) {+1 Attack on AoO }
special:
+1 cmb/cmd vs disarm checks and on Bluff checks to feint [deceptive strike]
! Singleton [ex] class feature
& Feat: weapon specialization +2 damage

ITEMS



Handy Haversack
- Sun Rod x 5
- Trail Rations (8 days)
- Rope, silk 50 ft
- Weapon blanch [cold iron] x2


MISC. COMBAT INFO


CMB: +7 = [BAB (5) + STR (2) + Misc (00)]
CMB: +9 to Trip*
CMB: +10 to Disarm*,***
CMD: 19 = [10 + BAB (5) + STR (2) + DEX (2) + Misc (00)]
CMD: 21 vs Trip**
CMD: 22 vs Disarm**,***


* +2 to CMB for Disarm and Trip (Improved Disarm Feat, Improved Trip Feat)
** +2 to CMD for Disarm and Trip (Improved Disarm Feat, Improved Trip Feat)
*** +1 to CMB/CMD Disarm and Bluff to Feint (Deceptive Strike)
[/sblock]

how does this work?

View attachment 57924
 
Last edited:

jbear

Villager
180px-Maui.jpg
"Te king wants to stretch te legs and sharpen te teeth. Too much sitting makes te king fat." Maui sits at the table, scrunches his lips and eyebrows, nodding his head in appreciation of the boss man's shiny armour. "Ka pai" he states. "Very nice."

[sblock=Lvl 5 Stats]
[http://livingpf.wikia.com/wiki/Maui_(jbear1979) Maui]
Initiative: +2
AC: 20 (Touch 13; FFt 18)
HP: 47 Current: 47
CMB: +8 CMD: 20 Fort: +5 Reflex: +4 Will: +7

Conditions:

In Hand:
Scimitar +1: +9; 1d6+6 (Crit 18-20:x2)
and Heavy Shield

Spells: Orisons: Detect Magic, Guidance, Know Direction, Detect Poison
1st: Obscuring Mist; CLW 2/ 2; Entangle
2nd: Bull's Strength 2/2 , Bark Skin
3rd: Mad Monkeys, Greater Magic Fang
Wild Shape: 1/1 uses left per day:
[sblock=Leopard Shape]
Medium animal; Senses: low-light vision, scent;
AC 15 , touch 15 , flat-footed 12
Speed 30 ft., climb 20 ft.
Melee:Bite +9; 1d8+6 2 Claws: +8; 1d4 +6 dmg
amur-leopard-101.jpg
[/sblock]

[sblock=Lizard Bird Shape]
Deinonychus
Medium animal; Senses: low-light vision, scent;
AC 15 , touch 15 , flat-footed 12
Speed 60 ft.
Melee:Bite +9; 1d6+6; 2 Talons: +9; 1d8+6 dmg; Foreclaws: +4; 1d4+3
Deinonychus-Head-for-press.jpg
[/sblock]


Wand of CLW Uses: 14/16
Wand of Magic Fang: 47/50
Wand of Speak with Animals: 48/50
Potions: CLW 2/2
Flasks: Holy Water 2/2
Sling Bullets: 19/20

Taniwha
Initiative: +7
AC: 20
HP: 42 Current: 42
CMB: Trip/Disarm +7 (+8) CMD: 21 (25 vs Trip) Fort: +6 Reflex: +10 Will: +2

Conditions:


Bite: +9; 1d6+4 dmg; special: Trip
2x Claws: +9; 1d3+4 dmg
[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

perrinmiller

Villager
~ The Dunn Wright Inn: 15 minutes to dusk ~



Chairman Maylor Jacobson nods, "Indeed, I did learn a few things with my checking."

"There is a ship called The Prancing Prince pier-side in the harbor. It is tri-masted galleon used to be owned by the Venzan Grand Duke Stavian the third. Originally it was a slave ship the Venzan navy captured several years ago and the Grand Duke sold it off to pay gambling debts. Rumor has it, some suspected pirates or slavers potentially own it now. It is tied up at Pier 12, so you should be able to find it."

"I did not find out anything regarding a person with the name of Ismacco. As for the that cult you mentioned, probably just kooks and fanatics. Though they appear to specialize in nature magic, but you can probably guess their agenda by their name."

[sblock=For Scott]I don't know what you got going in your last post, it was a tiny pic and a bunch of white.

Here is link to the Vincenzo Avatar if you want: http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae47/perrinmiller/Living Pathfinder/Vincenzo_zpsc75121e2.jpg
or copy this:
[/sblock][sblock=Note on Mini-stats]All I need to see in those are the things that are Dynamic. The rest I can get from the link to your character sheet which I want included.
Specifically:
Current AC
Current HP (btw, Galandra should be completely healed, Soulnova ;) )
Current Saves
Other Conditions in effect (i.e. Mage Armor)
Spells and Abilities per day remaining
Weapon in hand[/sblock]
 

kinem

Community Supporter
[sblock=Menik]Blood_elf_horde_long_hair_pointy_ears_white_hair_world_of_warcraft.jpg[/sblock]

"How large of a crew would such a ship normally have?" Menik inquires. The elf wizard sits at the table, takes a mug, thanks the wench, and begins sipping from it.

ooc: I'm busy today. I'll add the mini stat block next week.
 

soulnova

Villager
Galandra nods to Menik and pats Mika's back. "That would be something worth knowing, but I'm guessing they couldn't get a closer look... am I right?" she ask the chairman.

[sblock=OOC] OOPS! xD Hahahah, I copied directly from the last post. Didn't remember updating that. Done![/sblock]


[sblock=Ministats Galandra]

Galandra
AC: 18 (Touch 12, Flatfooted 16)
HP: 42/42

Initiative: +2
Perception: +9/+11 vs Humans, Sense Motive: +2/+4 vs Humans, Handle Animal +6/+10 (Animal Companion)
CMB: +8 CMD: 20 Fort: +6 Reflex: +7 Will: +4

Masterwork Falchion +9 [2d4+6] 18-20
Dagger +8 [1d4+3] 19-20
Masterwork Comp Longbow STR4: +7 [1d8+4] x3 (110ft)


Effects: Killer trait (extra damage - critical multiplier)

Conditions: None

In Hand: Masterwork Composite Longbow STR4

Consumables:

Efficient Quiver
  • -Blunt Arrows (20)
  • -Arrows (28)
  • -Masterwork Arrows (10)
  • -Javelins (10)
  • -Spears (3)

Backpack

  • 3 days rations, Wand CLW (50 charges), Oil (2)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats Mika] View attachment 57919
Mika, Small Leopard, Animal Companion

Hp 16/16
AC 20

Spd 50 ft
Init +5
F+5, R+8, W+1


Attack +7; bite 1d4 + trip, 2 claws 1d2
Low-light vision, scent.
Stealth +13, Perception +5, Acrobatics +5

[/sblock]
 

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Lem shrugs off the previous comment. "I'm tall where it counts.

We probably want someone to keep an eye out for people coming and going off that ship. Maybe we can set-up in a building and keep it under observation, which in turn would give us time to enjoy some snacks I've been wanting to cook up. Any word on when they're scheduled to leave port?"


Mini-Stats:
[sblock]
Character Sheet: http://livingpf.wikia.com/wiki/Lem_the_Cook_(Deuce_Traveler)
HP: 26/26
AC: 22, AC Touch: 21, AC Flatfooted: 16
Unarmed Strike: Attack: +10, -Damage: 1d6, Crit: 20/x2, Special: Stunning Fist Option
Flurry of Blows: Attack: +9/+9, Damage: 1d6/1d6, Crit: 20/x2, Special: Stunning Fist Option
[/sblock]
 

WindCrystal

Villager
Amien continues to keep his relaxed, nonchalant attitude towards the situation, "Pirates or slavers, huh? I've already seen what pirates are like, I assume sea-faring slavers aren't much different. A shame this.. so called cult isn't more popular, we likely won't be stumbling across another nice bounty on a named person."
[sblock=Mini-Stats]Character Sheet Page


Condition: None
HP: 41/41
AC: 15
AC Touch: 12
AC Flatfooted: 13
Initiative: +2
Fort: +5
Reflex: +3
Will: +0


Glaive Attack: +6, Glaive Damage: 1d10+4 (+8, 1d10+7 under Strength Rage)
Heavy Flail Attack: +6, Heavy Flail Damage: 1d10+4 (+8, 1d10+7 under Strength Rage)
Sling Attack: +4, Sling Damage: 1d4+3
- Sling Bullets (06)


Handy Haversack
- Potion of CLW x3
- Sunrod
- Trail Rations (12 days)
- Wand of CLW x1[/sblock]
 

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
[sblock=DM]
[sblock=For Scott]I don't know what you got going in your last post, it was a tiny pic and a bunch of white.

[/sblock]
I was trying to give you a head shot for a token. Oh well, looks like you got what I was trying to do.
[sblock=Note on Mini-stats]All I need to see in those are the things that are Dynamic. The rest I can get from the link to your character sheet which I want included.
Specifically:
Current AC
Current HP (btw, Galandra should be completely healed, Soulnova ;) )
Current Saves
Other Conditions in effect (i.e. Mage Armor)
Spells and Abilities per day remaining
Weapon in hand[/sblock]
I will get a better mini stat going.
[/sblock]

Vincenzo stands and addresses The Chairman politely with a bow, "Sir, Vincenzo of family Del Vecchio da via della Rosa D'Avorio. So, this ship was taken as booty from slavers by the Duke, then sold, to pirates/slavers. If this ship is captured - again - as booty, would there be a contest of ownership? Also," He adds thoughtfully, rubbing his rough whiskered chin, " is it known of what armaments were on her when the Duke sold the good ship?"

[sblock=mini stats]

Vincenzo's character sheet

DEFENSE


Condition: None
HP: 57/57
AC: 19
AC Touch: 14
AC Flatfooted: 16
Initiative: +2
Fort: +6
Reflex: +3
Will: +2

OFFENSE - Weapon in hand



Rapier Attack: +11; Damage: 1d6+7, Crit: 18-20/x2, Type: P


CONSUMABLE ITEMS



Handy Haversack
- Sun Rod x 5
- Trail Rations (8 days)
- Rope, silk 50 ft
- Weapon blanch [cold iron] x2

Special note to DM: I am thinking of taking a level of rogue for next level.



[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

perrinmiller

Villager
~ The Dunn Wright Inn: 15 minutes to dusk ~



Chairman Maylor Jacobson looks thoughtful as he answers Menik's question, "Well... I think a typical compliment is about twenty, but that is just an estimate to sail a tri-master. They could be carrying much more than that. The ship is probably armed with ballista, maybe four or six."

"The word is she is getting ready to sail with the tide in the morning, but the crew could be ashore for some last liberty. If there are slaves on board as we suspect, you need to waste no time rescuing them. If the crew is all on board and prepping to get underway, it could be too late as it is."

"If you manage to capture it, then you can certainly sell it later if you want. If you find kidnapped citizens, no solicitor in Venza will want to dispute your claim if the new owners are criminals and dead."

"You will still get an reward from the Crusaders of you rescue my agent as well."

He looks at you to see if you have any more questions.
 

soulnova

Villager
"...armed with ballista, maybe four or six."


Galadra's mouth make a stern thin line and glances back at Amien. She obviously doesn't like the way that sounds and he might know why. She nods slowly to the Chairman.
"Alright... I guess we should get moving now if they are going to be sailing at dawn. We might not get enough time to scout the area otherwise..."

"Selling the ship might be quite a good reward as it is..."
she chuckles "Let's try not to burn it down"

 

soulnova

Villager
"I doubt it. For what we know that guy Ismacco seems to be their broker. I guess a cult like them would be quite suspicious of someone else coming to buy their stuff..." Galandra leans back on her chair with a serious look on her face. "Perhaps the idea of the druid cloaks wouldn't be so good after all... we would need a hell of a good silver tongue for that and I'm not so good at making up lies" She looks at Maui wondering if he would have better luck with that.
 

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
"Charging up the gang plank might be a tricky move. Anyone here a good swimmer and handy with climbing gear," Lem asks doubtfully. "I think I might be able to sneak on board, but I doubt that holds for everyone."
 

WindCrystal

Villager
Finally hearing an idea of something he might actually be decent at, Amien readily adjusts the feel of his leather armor in eagerness to be useful in that area, and gives Lem a confident, assured look, "Maybe it doesn't hold for everyone, but it does for me. I have a rope and a hook in my baggy for such an occasion." He's probably overselling himself, but still most likely one of the more well suited people in the party for Lem's idea.

[sblock=Mini-Stats]Character Sheet Page


Condition: None
HP: 41/41
AC: 15
AC Touch: 12
AC Flatfooted: 13
Initiative: +2
Fort: +5
Reflex: +3
Will: +0


Glaive Attack: +6, Glaive Damage: 1d10+4 (+8, 1d10+7 under Strength Rage)
Heavy Flail Attack: +6, Heavy Flail Damage: 1d10+4 (+8, 1d10+7 under Strength Rage)
Sling Attack: +4, Sling Damage: 1d4+3
- Sling Bullets (06)


Handy Haversack
- Potion of CLW x3
- Sunrod
- Trail Rations (12 days)
- Wand of CLW x1[/sblock]
 

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"I am no good at being sneaky, but being from a family of merchants, I have learned to talk my way through a time or two. However, I tend to apply bluffing to actions more then words." He shrugs apologetically. He then takes off the showy merchants garb an returns to his normal adventure gear.
 

Advertisement

Top