D&D 5E Lucky

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
This is a fun little build I cobbled together after thinking a bit on how to make the best gambler, and came up with something that can manipulate the dice of the game willy-nilly. Originally this was going to be a Diviner, but then I noticed a few things that stack way better.

"Lucky"
Lightfoot Halfing Wild Mage 17/ Lore Bard 3

Stats:
Max cha, start out with some dex and maybe some wis.
Feats:
Lucky, Magical Initiate (Cleric, for Guidance/Resistance and Bless)
Skills:
Deception, Insight, pick up Persuasion later (for gambling)
Tools: whatever game set you want, dice seem appropriate, or maybe cards.

Key points:
Lucky (Feat): 3/day you can have "not-Advantage" on your rolls, or "not-Disadvantage" on an enemy attack.
Brave (Halfing): the least impressive of all your dice control, but it is a "free" advantage on fear saves.
Lucky (Halfling): reroll 1's on your saves, attacks, and ability checks.
Tides of Chaos (Wild Mage): gain advantage when you need it.
Bend Luck (Wild Mage): 1d4 penalty/bonus to anything that can have advantage as a reaction.
Font of Magic (Wild Mage): Gives you the points to Bend Luck, you have 17 of them and can get more by sacrificing spell slots.
Controlled Chaos (Wild Mage): Makes wild surges not so bad, which can be useful because you want it to surge all the time.
Empowered spell (Wild Mage): reroll that low damage, because you can.
Heightened Spell (Wild Mage): give automatic disadvantage on a spell
Bardic Inspiration (Bard): as a bonus action, give one of your allies +1d6 to any one of their rolls for the next 10 minutes.
Jack of All Trades (Bard): add 1/2 of your proficiency bonus to your untrained ability checks.
Song of Rest (Bard): gives extra healing at the end of a short rest.
Expertise (Lore Bard): gain 2x proficiency to your gambling checks, because you are the best gambler.
Cutting Words (Lore Bard): As a reaction, you give a 1d6 penalty to an enemies attack, damage, or ability check.

Some Choice Spells:

Cantrips:
Vicious Mockery(Bard): gives disadvantage on the targets next attack.
Guidance (Cleric): gives +1d4 to an ability check.
Resistance (Cleric): gives +1d4 to a saving throw.
True Strike(Sorcerer): gives advantage to attack rolls, still kinda sucks though.
Blade Ward(Sorcerer): gives resistance (ironic, no?) to normal weapon damage, not that great of an option most of the time either.

Thanks to the multiclass rules, I am quite sure you can have all of those and still get a few more, most likely Firebolt, Shocking Grasp, and/or Acid Splash.

Proper spells (the kind that can surge):
Bless (Cleric): Gives +1d4 to attack rolls and ability checks.
Shield (Sorcerer): Gives +5 AC as a reaction, not technically modifying dice but it can change a lot of hits into a miss
Enhance Ability(Sorcerer): gives advantage to all the ability checks of your choosing

These spells are all really low level too, which is good because you can cast oodles of them if need be, or use your higher level spells for the "essential" sorcerer spells like Fireball, because you still have to fight stuff occasionally. Might also want to consider taking up Cure Wounds from the Bard list, just for emergencies.

At the end of the build, you have:
1 Chaos "point" every time you cast a non-cantrip
3 Luck points /day
5 Bardic Inspiration points /rest
17 (or more) Sorcery points /day
1 Inspiration when another person at the table feels like it
Rerolling all the 1's on your d20
+1d4 to checks at will.

Keep in mind: The Lucky(feat) extra dice, Lucky(racial power) reroll, Advantage/Disadvantage, and the +/-1d4 (or 1d6) can all be used on the same opposed check. Can anyone run the math on how often you would pass or fail a Gambling check for me? I am sure the odds would be interesting.

Also, does anyone got a better build, or anything else that could be added onto this?

Last edited:

DMCF

First Post
I like it.
A dip 2 levels of Divination wizard gives you two pre-rolled 20's per day you can use to swap anyone's rolls.

Remove ads