Midkemia d20?

ergeheilalt

First Post
After having finished Talon of the Silverhawk by Raymond E. Feist, I was wondering what happened to Midkemia Press.

Midkemia press was a old FRPG producer back in the seventies and the eighties; but died off in the nineties. I am a big fan of the books by Raymond E. Feist, a later add-on to the group who originally pioneered Midkemia; Feist was eventually given the opportunity to write books based on their games. I used to run a poor game under AD&D based on the books, however, I would like to know if they are going to make the move to d20...

Their web site is dead (here) and I was wondering if there was any news on whether they would be going to d20? I talked with Mr. Abrams (the guy who originally formed the company) a couple years ago, but I have since lost his address. Any one have any news?

Erge

UrathDM

First Post
Chaosium

Cities,originally by Midkemia Press, had been re-published by Chaosium, and I believe the Carse and Tulan supplements had been as well. I do not know if anyone is thinking d20 with the properties now.

JoeGKushner

First Post
I e-mailed them a while ago and they felt that d20 couldn't handle the system. I disagree with them as d20 has proven reliable on a number of fronts and game systems so perhaps others e-mailing them might change their mind.

Carse and Tulan are some of my favorite old adventures. Heck, partly because I cut my teeth on them decades ago is why I don't like seeing so many adventures with towns as it's been DONE.

jasamcarl

First Post
I haven't read the his stuff in nearly a decade, but i seem to recall in hindsight many obvious dndims, including the arcane/divine distinction. 'High' Magic was more or less sorcery. Everything was way over the top, etc. etc.

ergeheilalt

First Post
jasamcarl said:
I haven't read the his stuff in nearly a decade, but i seem to recall in hindsight many obvious dndims, including the arcane/divine distinction. 'High' Magic was more or less sorcery. Everything was way over the top, etc. etc.

There is stuff on their website about how Raymond E Feist became involved...

And if you enjoyed the first series, the follow ups are pretty good too.

Erge

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
JoeGKushner said:
I e-mailed them a while ago and they felt that d20 couldn't handle the system. I disagree with them as d20 has proven reliable on a number of fronts and game systems so perhaps others e-mailing them might change their mind.

I don't recall the magic system ever being fleshed out enough in the books to really codify, but I'd agree that D&D isn't great for modeling the magic system. That doesn't mean d20 couldn't work, though.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Dinkeldog said:

I don't recall the magic system ever being fleshed out enough in the books to really codify, but I'd agree that D&D isn't great for modeling the magic system. That doesn't mean d20 couldn't work, though.

I guess it's been a while since I've read the books but with the proper spells, I don't see why a young Pug wouldn't simply be a sorcerer as opposed to his master being a wizard and that explaining the differences between them.

"Read this book and cast this spell."

"I can't!"

Weeks latter...

"I can cast this spell without a book? Cool."

I wouldn't expect the magic system to handle Pug though. He and some of the other characters are in need of Epic Rules and shouldn't be covered by the standards. 90% of the other characters fit the standard range of classes.

ergeheilalt

First Post
I discovered Mr. Steve Abrams email addy last night and sent him a qwery about the future of Midkemia as a d20 supplement and got the following response

A number of things are going on that I'm not currently at liberty to discuss. d20 is a possibility but we remain concerned that converting to it will change the character of the world so the jury is still out.
Thanks for the interest.
SA

So ... something is going on.

Erge

jasamcarl

First Post
Wasn't there something in one of the later books about a planer tavern and hallway? I'm thinking that he pretty much ripped DND off.

Remove ads