Miniatures - Very Small People

D'karr

Adventurer
What follows is some of my miniatures painting work.

Comments and constructive criticism welcome.

The advantages of higher ground.

Attachments

• highground.jpg
    highground.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 159

kengar

First Post
nice paint jobs & great pics!

I have that same ogre mini & he is one of my faves. I am foolishly pleased by the paint job I did on him (even though he is not the best painted fig I've done) only because it's the only mini I've used where the players actually paused before the combat to admire it :D

Darius101

First Post
Great work I really like both figures.
The only suggestion I have on the tattos...and this is still difficult for me as well....is to try to blend it more with the skin tone. It looks like you really spent your time on these guys though.

Jen Haley has suggestions on her website about painting tattoos. Very tough to do though when you take all that time to get them right.

Keep up the great work,
Darius

kengar

First Post
re: tattoos

I have heard doing a transluscent flesh wash over the tattoo ink (when it is 100% dry!) helps to give the appearance that the ink is under the skin. I can't say from 1st-hand experience since I haven't had the guts to try tattoos on the minis yet. I've got an old plastic GW trollslayer dwarf mini that I still haven't painted, maybe I'll try it on him.

The detail on the tattoo pattern is great, BTW.

D'karr

Adventurer
Thanks for the praise and the info. Jennifer Haley is amazing. If I could have 1/10 of her talent I'd be very happy.

Yes, tattoos are very hard to get right. They always seem to be paint on top of skin instead of in the skin...

I did those with a very thin brush. Next time I'm planning on using a micropen.

I just got a good digital camera so I'll post more pictures as time goes on.

Once again thanks.

Darius101

First Post
Kengar, when you wash the flesh it is like what I call wet brushing..you get soem paint then two dips in the water...test on a paper or tile then paint over the flesh. Do not use ink for this stage...at least I don't, I use straight paints.

I have used a micropen in the past and never had a problem with them but a friend said that his tattoo on his figure with the micro pen faded after 2-3yrs.

i tease him about it myself cause the tats, eyes and such that I have used the pen for have never faded in over 10yrs of use. i used to use another pen called a Unibal Micoro Pen and I bought real high quality ink the pen took longer to clean and it wasn't worth it. Micro pens are recommended by Jen and it was at her suggestion I tried it out. The best Advice is to finish the model with aminimum of a good 3 layers of finish. I use 1 dull, 1 gloss and 2 more dull. This finishing holds through almost anything.

Later,
Darius

Last edited:

Remove ads