Minimum levels for prestige classes?

Glyfair

Explorer
No one has tackled this before? No one knows where one is?

If not, would anyone be interested in starting a thread and tackling this?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The problem is that there are sometimes several dozens of routes to a PRC, which have diferring level requirements. In fact, often if you think you've found the fastest route to a PRC, someone else will come along and give you an even faster one using some obscure feat or PRC from some book you've never read. Not to mention the often disputable methods used to obtain a PRC.

For example, does the SpellThief's ability to steal spells of a high level and then cast those spells count as spellcasting ability in terms of Arcane Trickster qualifications? I've seen good arguments on both sides. And that's just one PRC off the top of my head.

It's a hopeless task...

Glyfair

Explorer
Mistwell said:
The problem is that there are sometimes several dozens of routes to a PRC, which have diferring level requirements. In fact, often if you think you've found the fastest route to a PRC, someone else will come along and give you an even faster one using some obscure feat or PRC from some book you've never read. Not to mention the often disputable methods used to obtain a PRC.

For example, does the SpellThief's ability to steal spells of a high level and then cast those spells count as spellcasting ability in terms of Arcane Trickster qualifications? I've seen good arguments on both sides. And that's just one PRC off the top of my head.

It's a hopeless task...

I don't think so. Most prestige classes are pretty simple, since they use skill ranks or BAB to create the minimum ceiling. Those are easy, and could be done with somewhat generic comments ("Any classes with the fighter attack progression can enter this class at level 6").

What you are left with are those classes designed to require multi-classing before you enter the class, or those that have abilities to set the minimum level (usually some sort of spell casting class). Some just require legwork (probably easiest if you limit yourself to a set number of products, WotC products would be probably easiest to start). Others could have commentary about argued points (the "Precocious Apprentice" feat has been argued to allow you to enter Mystic Theurge at 5th level, or "The militia feat has been argued to allow you to enter Eldritch Knight at Xth level").

Now, as I mentioned above, opening it up to all companies would more than likely be a headache. However, starting with WotC would give you some finite options. After that the list could potentially be expanded to the major companies products, possibly.

If I were to start doing something like this, I'd start with WotC products. In classes where it mattered, I would likely have a category for "core only," " all products" and "disputed points" (which I doubt would be too overwhelming, but I could be wrong).

Last edited:

Shin Okada

Explorer
As Crothian says, many classes have deferent "minimum level" for different races. Or, for some races, the shortest way may incur XP penalty for odd multiclassing.

Also, the shortest way does not automatically mean the best way. And the best way may differ for each people, or each campaign. I guess that is why most people don't dare to make such a list.

IMHO, if you want to try, you should better show detailed "minimum route" for each classes at least. I mean, the combination of actuall classes, feats & skills. Then that list may be useful as an example.

irdeggman

First Post
I had found a list posted by someone that listed the starting level benefits for each prestige class and the "fastest" path to get there. I only have ot find it and see if I can reconstruct the link. I'll check when I get home - it was pretty good IIRC.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Glyfair said:
If I were to start doing something like this, I'd start with WotC products. In classes where it mattered, I would likely have a category for "core only," " all products" and "disputed points" (which I doubt would be too overwhelming, but I could be wrong).

Don't take this the wrong way - but it sounds like you pretty much know what you want and have an idea how to do it. Why don't you do it, post it ehre, and ask for an opinion on what you've done?

Remove ads