• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

Misc Magic Item Creation Question

Xarlen

Villager
Okay, the priest in our party wants to create a magical item.

A pendant with a permenant 'Bless' spell cast on it. His arguement is that his Flail is blessed, considering that it's a +1, and that there are Prayer Beads which allow it, not to mention that it can be done on Jewelry and Rings.

So, is it possible? Just cast Bless and make it a permenant effect, for the sole character? What'd be the cost to do that?
 

Thanee

Villager
By the book, a permanent always on 1st level spell costs 2000 gp, if it uses up a slot (like ring of jumping).

This item would grant +1 to attack rolls and +1 to saving throws vs fear.

I'd say 2000 gp would be appropriate.

Bye
Thanee
 
Last edited:

Larcen

Explorer
Thanee said:
By the book, a permanent always on 1st level spell costs 2000 gp, if it uses up a slot (like ring of jumping).

This item would grant +1 to attack rolls and +1 to saving throws vs fear.

I'd say 2000 gp would be appropriate.

Bye
Thanee
A mere 2000 gps for a perm 1st level spell on an item? Wow, I am commissioning me a Shield pendant. VERY nice..... :D
 

Crothian

Villager
As always those are just guidelines. I think 2000 is about right for a pendant of bless. He'll still need to use the item to bless something, but allowing it to be used as often as he wanyts should not be too big of a problem.
 

Xarlen

Villager
Wait, no, I mean that it always has the function happening.

As long as the character has it on, it gives teh chara a +1 to attacks and saves Vs. Fear.

Right?
 

kreynolds

Villager
Xarlen said:
Wait, no, I mean that it always has the function happening.

As long as the character has it on, it gives teh chara a +1 to attacks and saves Vs. Fear.

Right?
No, Bless affects all of your allies, but not you.

Yes, all of your allies within 50ft. would always have +1 to attacks and saves vs. fear.

I would charge roughly...20,000gp, maybe more.
 
Last edited:

Xarlen

Villager
Okay...

Then, I have to wonder how to do this.

Considering the cleric is 9th level, if he does make a permenant item, then he'd likely use Divine Favor, then. Which would give +3 to Attack and Damage.

For this to be an Always effect, for a necklace Item... Wouldn't that be a tad unbalancing?

Then again, there are Gloves of Strenght +4 which cost 8,000, and this offers one less for attack and damage, and doesn't take up that slot, also would be 6,000 less. Then again, he's making it, so the cost would be less, then if he bought it for her.

I'm thinking it would be easier simply to make the item One use per day, which should clear it up.
 
Last edited:

Dr. Zoom

Villager
kreynolds said:
No, Bless affects all of your allies, but not you.
I have always considered the caster his own ally. When the cleric in my group casts Bless, he gets the +1, too. Is this wrong?

Edit: Just checked the D&D FAQ and the sage says this regarding the Bless spell's area entry on page 46:
The bless spell's Area entry should read: "The caster and all allies within a 50-foot burst, centered on the caster."
 
Last edited:

kreynolds

Villager
Dr. Zoom said:
Is this wrong?
Yes. Otherwise, the spell descriptor would say "You and all allies within 50 ft." or "Caster and all allies within 50 ft." or "Self and all allies within 50 ft."
 
Last edited:

kreynolds

Villager
Xarlen said:
Then again, he's making it, so the cost would be less, then if he bought it for her.
No, no, no. You always charge the character the full price of the item against their character wealth. It doesn't matter if it fell from the sky, came from treasure, they puked it up, pulled it outta their <bleep!> or it was a gift from god.
 

Dr. Zoom

Villager
kreynolds said:


Yes. Otherwise, the spell descriptor would say "You and all allies within 50 ft." or "Caster and all allies within 50 ft." or "Self and all allies within 50 ft."
I edited my post. The sage says in the FAQ that the spell's Area should say just this.
 

Xarlen

Villager
kreynolds said:


No, no, no. You always charge the character the full price of the item against their character wealth. It doesn't matter if it fell from the sky, came from treasure, they puked it up, pulled it outta their <bleep!> or it was a gift from god.
I'm aware of this.

I ment, that it would cost less to *make*.
 

kreynolds

Villager
Xarlen said:
For this to be an Always effect, for a necklace Item... Wouldn't that be a tad unbalancing?
Maybe. Just bump the price up until you like it.

Xarlen said:
Then again, there are Gloves of Strenght +4 which cost 8,000,
I've never heard of those, but they would actually cost 16,000gp, or 32,000gp if they didn't take a slot.

Xarlen said:
and doesn't take up that slot, also would be 6,000 less.
If the item doesn't take up a slot, the price is doubled.
 

Xarlen

Villager
Gauntlets of Ogre power.

Yes, they take up a slot. I'm referring to 'That' or 'This' slot.

The Pendant wouldn't take up the Hands slot. It would take up the amulet/necklace slot.
 

kreynolds

Villager
Xarlen said:
I'm aware of this.

I ment, that it would cost less to *make*.
It always costs the same amount to *make*. I guess the real question is whether or not I'm confused because of you or if you are confused. :)
 

Xarlen

Villager
Why would it cost the same amount to make, as it does to buy?

If you can purchase it, then why make it yourself?

If I can buy myself a headband of Intelligence +4 for 16,000 then why would I spend 16,000 + xp to make it?

And, sorry, Gauntlets of Ogre Power +4 would be 16,000, not 8,000.
 

kreynolds

Villager
Xarlen said:
Why would it cost the same amount to make, as it does to buy?
It doesn't. It costs have the full price to make the item, but the full price counts against your character wealth if you keep it for yourself. NPCs do not work this way though.

Xarlen said:
If you can purchase it, then why make it yourself?
Because you didn't actually have to spend the full amount of cash. If the item is 100gp, and you make it, you spend 50gp to have the item. However, the item counts against your character wealth of full price, 100gp.

Xarlen said:
If I can buy myself a headband of Intelligence +4 for 16,000 then why would I spend 16,000 + xp to make it?
You don't. Read the chapter in the DMG regarding magic item creation. I can't post it here because it's too much info and I'm about to head out the door.

Xarlen said:
And, sorry, Gauntlets of Ogre Power +4 would be 16,000, not 8,000.
No problem. Just wanted to clarify that.
 
Last edited:

Xarlen

Villager
I know that you'd subtract it from their character wealth. I ment the Gold price.

That, and if something costs 2,000 gp, and something costs 8,000, it's 6,000 less, for wealth and gold.
 
Last edited:

Advertisement

Top