Mistake?

Taloras

First Post
This is a question that came up in our last game. Our cleric of Pelor (domains sun and good i believe) noticed that the 5th level domain spell for sun is Flame Strike, 1d8 damage per caster level (i believe). he then looked at the spell description. It says 1d6 damage per caster level. (the 1d8 is in the mini-description by the name of the spell under the Sun domain). Which is right? we thought this might be in the errata, but its not.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
The 1d8 per level is a misprint. Look at the 5th level cleric spells and 4th level druid spells in the same section and you will see that they reflect the actual spell description. Even if they did not, I would always go with a spell's actual description as opposed to one of the "mini's."

Zhure

First Post
I think d8's were a throwback to an earlier draft and 1e/2e and the actual effect is supposed to be d6's/

Greg

fba827

Adventurer
Taloras said:
This is a question that came up in our last game. Our cleric of Pelor (domains sun and good i believe) noticed that the 5th level domain spell for sun is Flame Strike, 1d8 damage per caster level (i believe). he then looked at the spell description. It says 1d6 damage per caster level. (the 1d8 is in the mini-description by the name of the spell under the Sun domain). Which is right? we thought this might be in the errata, but its not.

As noted by the others here, it is a misprint. I'm pretty sure it is listed in one of the erratas somewhere... but I know for a fact that I did see a "blanket statement" from wotc that said if the sentence description differs from the actual spell's description, go with the spell's full text description as the more proper description.

You'll notice under the Good Domain's 2nd level spell, Aid, that desciption is incorrect as well (it says 1d6 - rather than 1d8 - tmp hp)

Belares

First Post
Thanks for beating me to the punch on posting this Taloras. LOL

I have the erratas on the PHB and I didnt see it anywhere. I ruled 1D6/level anyway.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
There are a few mistakes like this in the spell lists. The 1st level cleric spell Doom says -2 to attacks, damage, saves, and checks. But the actual spell description says -2 to attacks, saves, and checks. So is it -2 to damage, too? No, because the actual spell description does not include the -2 to damage.

Taloras

First Post
Thanks. Out of our group, im the only one with the second printing of the PHB (im guessing that thats the one thats been fixed with the errata?) When it didnt seem to change between them, we got curious.

Remove ads