Mithral shirt

Dracolich

First Post
How can a Mithral shirt only be 1,100 gp. It's better than Elven chain in all respects, yet 3,000 gp cheaper. I haven't been able to locate any errata on this. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

gtJormungand

First Post
there is no errata. An Elven Chain is simply Mithral Chain Mail; this being medium armor causes the price of making it mitral more.

Besides, elven chain still has an armor check penalty of -2.

trentonjoe

Explorer
It sure is better!!!

In my game we raised the price of a Mithral shirt to 4,000 gp. It doesn't real solve the problem but it helps.

We consider the "old school" elven chain to be Celestial Armor minus the fly ablility.

Old School Chain was serious kick buttock stuff. It was hard to find and really cool to have. The Celestial Armor is the way to go for that feeling.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Dracolich said:
How can a Mithral shirt only be 1,100 gp. It's better than Elven chain in all respects, yet 3,000 gp cheaper.

That's not true. An elven chain (AKA Mithral chainmail) offer a better armor bonus than a mithral shirt.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Dracolich said:
How can a Mithral shirt only be 1,100 gp. It's better than Elven chain in all respects, yet 3,000 gp cheaper. I haven't been able to locate any errata on this. Has anyone else heard anything about this?
Don't worry; everything is correct. :) Go to page 242 of the DMG, check out the section about Mithral, use it on a chainmail to get Elven chain, and then use it on a chain shirt to get a mithral chain shirt. You'll see it then. :)

drowdude

First Post
Re: Re: Mithral shirt

Mal Malenkirk said:

That's not true. An elven chain (AKA Mithral chainmail) offer a better armor bonus than a mithral shirt.

Only by one point though. Super-Cheeze-Express.

IMC, we raised the armor bonus provided by medium-heavy armor by 2 points across the board. Thus chain mail is significantly better than a chain shirt, but not *too* good ;)

Marshall

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Mithral shirt

drowdude said:

Only by one point though. Super-Cheeze-Express.

IMC, we raised the armor bonus provided by medium-heavy armor by 2 points across the board. Thus chain mail is significantly better than a chain shirt, but not *too* good ;)

Not a bad idea. In fact, a quite good one. Did you increase the Heavies by an additional +2?

drowdude

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Mithral shirt

Marshall said:

Not a bad idea. In fact, a quite good one. Did you increase the Heavies by an additional +2?

Yup, medium and heavy armor gets the +2 bump in armor bonus.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mithral shirt

drowdude said:

Yup, medium and heavy armor gets the +2 bump in armor bonus.
I think he meant to ask whether medium gets +2 and heavy gets +2 again (i.e., +2 twice, or +4). :)

Remove ads