Module for newbie DM

lkj

Hero
Hey folks.
I've introduced a friend's kids to D&D (3.5). They've been reading the rules backwards and forwards, and I promised I'd run a quick game for them to show them how it all works in play. I can whip something together for that pretty quick.
However, this is a one-shot for me, and after that one of the kids will try to be the DM (he's only about 10 or 11 but he's super sharp). I thought I'd gift him with an introductory adventure so that he has some reference for how an adventure is put together. It'll also give him something he can run to practice being a DM.
What I'm looking for is advice on some 1st or 2nd level adventures. It needs to be relatively uncomplicated and not contain overly adult material. Preferably it's a WotC adventure, as I can get ahold of one of those quickly.
I'm running the game this weekend, and I thought I'd make my little intro adventure a lead in to the module.

Thanks for your help.

AD

Deekin

Adventurer
lkj said:
Hey folks.
I've introduced a friend's kids to D&D (3.5). They've been reading the rules backwards and forwards, and I promised I'd run a quick game for them to show them how it all works in play. I can whip something together for that pretty quick.
However, this is a one-shot for me, and after that one of the kids will try to be the DM (he's only about 10 or 11 but he's super sharp). I thought I'd gift him with an introductory adventure so that he has some reference for how an adventure is put together. It'll also give him something he can run to practice being a DM.
What I'm looking for is advice on some 1st or 2nd level adventures. It needs to be relatively uncomplicated and not contain overly adult material. Preferably it's a WotC adventure, as I can get ahold of one of those quickly.
I'm running the game this weekend, and I thought I'd make my little intro adventure a lead in to the module.

Thanks for your help.

AD

Wizard's Index of Free Adventures

delericho

Legend
There was a thread on this very subject only a couple of days ago, wasn't there?

Some recommendations:

Sunless Citadel: it's 3.0, but should run without conversion. It has some notes to help new DMs.

Scourge of the Howling Horde: Maybe; I'm not a big fan. But, it is aimed squarely at new DMs, so may well be helpful.

Dungeon of the Fire Opal: it's from Dungeon, and 3.0, and for 3rd level characters. But, it has a really 'classic' feel to it, is a solid adventure, and when I ran it for a group of first-time players (in their young teens) it went down very well.

I also remember the Gamesmastery module "Hollow's Last Hope" being widely recommended. I'm not personally familiar with it, but it can be found on the Paizo website.

I hope that helps.

lkj

Hero
Thanks for the advice. It's much appreciated. My apologies if this topic has been covered recently. Given limited messageboard time lately, my eyes have probably been a litte too focused on the 4e board.

AD

Ant

First Post
Voadam said:
Check out the free WotC adventures on their website, Burning Plague works well.
That's another vote for Burning Plague right here. It can get a bit nasty due to
the high probability of Con damage to the PCs

ssampier

First Post
I'm a fan of the free Wizards Amulet. The follow-up Crucible of Freya is good, too. The second may be a little hard for newbies, though.

Of course, neither are Wizards or 3.5, Necromancer Games and 3.0, respectively.

grodog

Hero
If you're a newbie 3.x DM, I would definitely recommend the NG freebie Wizard's Amulet @ http://www.necromancergames.com/freestuff.html which leads into W1 Crucible of Freya (which has several free downloads on the NG site which expand the scope of the adventure into the wilderness environs around Freya; good stuff!---you can run an entire campaign just based on those [and Bards Gate, if you want to throw a city into the mix]).

I would also recommend that you buy a copy of B2 Keep on the Borderlands, which offers a lot of guidance for first-time DMs: it's for the old Basic version of D&D, but the advice is timeless (and mostly system independent).

edit- ssampier beat me to the NG stuff! :D

Remove ads