D&D 5E Monster Manual Expanded III HARDCOVER/PoD is FINALLY OUT! Get it now from the DM's Guild!

DaLich

Villager
Always love your work Nix! Was a pleasure getting a copy of and talking through your work. Really looking forward to getting this one.

Da Lich over at allthingslich on the tube.

Nixlord

DM's Guild Author
Publisher
Always love your work Nix! Was a pleasure getting a copy of and talking through your work. Really looking forward to getting this one.

Da Lich over at allthingslich on the tube.
Thanks, Rich Da Lich! Your reviews were always thorough and on point. Hopefully, this third book will address the issues you've cited before (although some of them have been addressed in later versions, including the print copy). Will send you a copy when it releases as usual.

Nixlord

DM's Guild Author
Publisher
Monster Manual Expanded III Art Previews #7: The last group of giants, the stone giants Stonesinger, Champion of Ogrémoch, and the Warlock of Ogrémoch (by BadMoonArt), and the Brown Dragon (by M:tG and D&D artist Tots Valeza)!
For the merry month of December, I'll be sharing a creature type that's been sorely missing from the previous two MME books: the good guys!
Stone Giants.png

Brown Dragon.png

Monster Manual Expanded III Art Previews #7: The last group of giants, the stone giants Stonesinger, Champion of Ogrémoch, and the Warlock of Ogrémoch (by BadMoonArt), and the Brown Dragon (by M:tG and D&D artist Tots Valeza)!
For the merry month of December, I'll be sharing a creature type that's been sorely missing from the previous two MME books: the good guys!

I can't wait to see these upcoming previews! The lack of celestials has been glaring thus far in 5e, and I'm hoping to see a good selection (or even the whole slate) of 1e - 3e celestials in the MME3.

Nixlord

DM's Guild Author
Publisher
I can't wait to see these upcoming previews! The lack of celestials has been glaring thus far in 5e, and I'm hoping to see a good selection (or even the whole slate) of 1e - 3e celestials in the MME3.
Just to set expectations, I won't be able to show all of the 'good guys' or 'celestials' of the book in one month. But there should be enough to keep things interesting. ;)

Last edited:

Nixlord

DM's Guild Author
Publisher
But if you want to guess, here are some clues:

One was last seen 2nd ed and basic edition.
Two were part of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd ed.
Two were last seen 3rd ed.
;)

Nixlord

DM's Guild Author
Publisher
Monster Manual Expanded III Art Previews #8: As mentioned last week, the merry month of December will feature the 'good guys,' which a few fans mentioned were missing from the two previous MME books. So we're kicking it off with a celestial type last seen in Basic D&D Creature Catalog (1993) and AD&D second edition (1996), the Pegataurs!
Pegataurs 1.png
Pegataurs 2.png

werecorpse

Adventurer
You’re doing a great job at bringing back some old favourites and using the 3e design philosophy of adding on character like abilities to monsters. Which are two reasons I’m a fan. I get that your monster talents book was a bit like the templates of 3e but do you have any pure templates?

Nixlord

DM's Guild Author
Publisher
You’re doing a great job at bringing back some old favourites and using the 3e design philosophy of adding on character like abilities to monsters. Which are two reasons I’m a fan. I get that your monster talents book was a bit like the templates of 3e but do you have any pure templates?
Thanks! A book or library about pure templates like skeletons, mummies, or the archetypes that you can simply apply to each monster? No, not really. I've always wanted to try and create standard templates that I can apply to creatures but I've never really got to do it. I felt that if I did I might get lazy in designing creatures variants and just keep applying the same templates over and over. It still happened a few times though (especially on the tribal types). But to answer your question again, no, I don't really have a library of pure templates. Who knows though, I might get to create one later on but I still have a few book ideas (that would further help cut down DM prep and development time) I want to do. ;)

Thanks! A book or library about pure templates like skeletons, mummies, or the archetypes that you can simply apply to each monster? No, not really. I've always wanted to try and create standard templates that I can apply to creatures but I've never really got to do it. I felt that if I did I might get lazy in designing creatures variants and just keep applying the same templates over and over. It still happened a few times though (especially on the tribal types). But to answer your question again, no, I don't really have a library of pure templates. Who knows though, I might get to create one later on but I still have a few book ideas (that would further help cut down DM prep and development time) I want to do. ;)

I'm fine without templates since you do the next best thing and actually design the variants. I don't need templates for skeletons and zombies, for example, since you created so many different types in MME1 and MME2 that there are enough for just about any situation (and if I really need a skeleton/zombie type that isn't in those books, it's a simple matter to make minor changes to one already done.).

Remove ads