D&D 5E Monster Manual Expanded III HARDCOVER/PoD is FINALLY OUT! Get it now from the DM's Guild!

Wait wait wait wait hold up: Are you trying to tell me that the Monster Manuel Expanded series of books isn't just a 3PP monster manual take full of author created/made up homebrew monsters, and is instead basically taking various monsters from older DND books and updating em/bringing them over to 5E????

looks at the Archons images

HOLY CRAP!!!!!
I had no idea that is what they were. And I'm such a 3.0/3.5 element slut when it comes to having 3.0/3.5 stuff in my 5E games lore/monster/name/etc wise.
It's basically (1) variants of MM/Volo's/Mordenkainen's monsters - weaker or stronger, or with variant abilities/powers, and (2) monsters from previous editions that haven't been updated to 5e yet (mostly in 2 and, apparently, 3).

Nixlord

DM's Guild Author
Publisher
Wait wait wait wait hold up: Are you trying to tell me that the Monster Manuel Expanded series of books isn't just a 3PP monster manual take full of author created/made up homebrew monsters, and is instead basically taking various monsters from older DND books and updating em/bringing them over to 5E????

looks at the Archons Deep Dragon images.

HOLY CRAP!!!!!
I had no idea that is what those books were doing. And I'm such a 3.0/3.5 element slut when it comes to having 3.0/3.5 stuff in my 5E games lore/monster/name/etc wise.

Allow me to give you a screenshot of each book's intro, to help you get a better idea:

MME 1:
1618785946015.png

MME 2
1618786004827.png

Sorry, for MME 3, no such screenshot yet. However, what I can tell you is that:
1. It will continue to build on all 3 official bestiary books and continue to make DMs' lives easier
2. There will be more low/mid level creatures/NPCs with legendary actions (boss types for low/mid level encounters)
3. There will be more classic creatures from previous editions
4. There will be new creatures focusing on creature types what is currently lacking in the official books (one of which I will start sharing in the next 4 weeks)
5. Artwork is 90%+ new/original/not stock art

But yeah, technically, all the creatures are author-created/made up. ;)

Last edited:

Weiley31

Legend
Allow me to give you a screenshot of each book's intro, to help you get a better idea:

MME 1:
View attachment 135755

MME 2
View attachment 135756

Sorry, for MME 3, no such screenshot yet. However, what I can tell you is that:
1. It will continue to build on all 3 official bestiary books and continue to make DMs' lives easier
2. There will be more low/mid level creatures/NPCs with legendary actions (boss types for low/mid level encounters)
3. There will be more classic creatures from previous editions
4. There will be new creatures focusing on creature types what is currently lacking in the official books (one of which I will start sharing in the next 4 weeks)
5. Artwork is 90%+ new/original/not stock art

But yeah, technically, all the creatures are author-created/made up. ;)
You have Aspects from the Minatures Handbook as well!?!?!?

I've been missing out on this.

Nixlord

DM's Guild Author
Publisher
You have Aspects from the Minatures Handbook as well!?!?!?

I've been missing out on this.

Not all the aspects. I redid the Aspect template and made an Aspect of every demon prince/lord and archdevil from Mordenkainen's, and added a few more (Lolth, Asmodeus, Mephistopheles, and Dispater. I had to introduce those last 4 as well though.

SPECTRE666

Adventurer
Last edited:

Remove ads