Monster names?

cholke

First Post
Not to be too silly, but does anyone else just laugh when they read the names of some of these monsters? The new undead excerpt has the "Zombie Hulk" that uses its "Zombie Smash". Am I supposed to actually say that in game?

Every monster has several variants with, what seem to me, the cheeziest of names. It seems as though this is due to the use of powers as differentiators. Couldn't we have had more monsters in the first book if there weren't all of these power-based permutations?

Seems like a lot of work for me to come up with new, not so ridiculous names for the same creatures. Am I alone? Anyone?

Byronic

First Post
cholke said:
Not to be too silly, but does anyone else just laugh when they read the names of some of these monsters? The new undead excerpt has the "Zombie Hulk" that uses its "Zombie Smash". Am I supposed to actually say that in game?

Every monster has several variants with, what seem to me, the cheeziest of names. It seems as though this is due to the use of powers as differentiators. Couldn't we have had more monsters in the first book if there weren't all of these power-based permutations?

Seems like a lot of work for me to come up with new, not so ridiculous names for the same creatures. Am I alone? Anyone?

Never let peoples lack of style hold you down.

Imban

First Post
Gotta be a tossup between the Crushgrip Constrictor, Legion Devil Legionnaire, Earthrage Battlebriar, and Sorrowsworn Soulripper for worst name, honestly.

Cheesepie

First Post
Imban said:
Gotta be a tossup between the Crushgrip Constrictor, Legion Devil Legionnaire, Earthrage Battlebriar, and Sorrowsworn Soulripper for worst name, honestly.
Damnit, who let the Magic name guys into D&D creative again?!

MindWanderer

First Post
"Thunderwrack Titan"
"Nightwarped Creeper"
"Ghostmaw Racer"
"Blackfire Racer"

Took me 4 tries to get a name I didn't think was absolutely awful. And that's not counting possibilities like "Doomdoom Wurm" or "Grimrake Foamer." WotC isn't that awful.

Korgoth

First Post
MindWanderer said:
"Thunderwrack Titan"
"Nightwarped Creeper"
"Ghostmaw Racer"
"Blackfire Racer"

Took me 4 tries to get a name I didn't think was absolutely awful. And that's not counting possibilities like "Doomdoom Wurm" or "Grimrake Foamer." WotC isn't that awful.

"Flamescale Brute"

That was one try! Get some better d20s, dude.

Starbuck_II

First Post
cholke said:

What designers aren't allowed to have fun?
I find Zombie Hulk with Zombie smash: tongue in cheek fun. We need more like that.

Chibbot

First Post
I think that a Zombie Smashing Zombie Hulk goes in line well with the humorous and somewhat self-mocking nature of some of the more recent preview material they've released (in particular, the swarms preview).

Some names can get a little ridiculous, its true. But clever things like that I'm 100% behind.

Remove ads