Monster Update: Wights and Ghosts

nogray

Adventurer
I didn't see a thread for this, so here is a link.

The Article's Intro said:
This article series revisits monsters from the Monster Manual, providing them with additional background and story. In addition, the articles present the monsters in the revised statistics block format that first appeared widely in Monster Manual 3. The monsters have had some minor updates to powers and to some of their statistics, including attack, damage, and defense values. These changes in statistics generally reflect the updates that appear on page 7 in the Dungeon Master’s Guide rules update. This iteration of the article includes wights and ghouls (sic -- should be "ghosts").

This is something I believe people had asked for. It makes me happy that we are getting it. :)

Locutus Zero

First Post
I'd love to see a day where more than half of the monsters in any given compendium search used the new math/formatting.

.. Also I'd like to see way to filter out the old math monsters.

Klaus

First Post
New mechanics are well and good, but it's the expanded background and story that make me love these updates. Cool stuff there!

john112364

First Post
I agree. I loved them before I even got to the stats. Very cool backgrounds. And once I got to the stats I thought that these things are nasty! Great job WotC!

Mentat55

First Post
My warforged slayer got smacked in the face by two of the updated slaughter wights this very evening. Went from 8 healing surges to 3 in relatively short order -- the only thing that saved me was the cleric's turn undead and the druid's sunbeam.

Quickleaf

Legend
What I found interesting was Logan Bonner's comment how initially his redesign of wights had them dishing out inability to use healing surges (vs healing surge loss), but the team wanted to stay closer to the already in print wight material from MM1.

keterys

First Post
I really wish he hadn't been overruled there... :(

The healing surge loss poisons their ability to do actual damage during the fight. It has an interesting ramification on the day overall, "oooh, we're in trouble, we're down surges cause of wights"... but "we're in trouble, those wights really tore us to shreds" is also interesting. :)

I really wish he hadn't been overruled there... :(

The healing surge loss poisons their ability to do actual damage during the fight. It has an interesting ramification on the day overall, "oooh, we're in trouble, we're down surges cause of wights"... but "we're in trouble, those wights really tore us to shreds" is also interesting. :)

Sure, but there are plenty of critters that can rip you to shreds. There's (almost) only one that can suck the surges right out of you.

Personally I like this kind of mechanic. It works a LOT like the old level drain. "Wights! Runnnnnnnnnn!"

Remove ads