D&D 5E More Details About Laeral Silverhand’s Explorer’s Kit

This press release just dropped into my inbox. Laeral Silverhand Explorer’s Kit contains dice...

This press release just dropped into my inbox. Laeral Silverhand Explorer’s Kit contains dice, cards, and a map. This comes out on the same day as the as-yet unnamed D&D hardcover on March 17th, whose identity will be revealed on Thursday.

wlclwcjcwke_prodimage.png

Explore the realms! Wizards of the Coast once again is presenting new dice and miscellany for the world’s greatest roleplaying game. Forgotten Realms Laeral Silverhand Explorer’s Kit builds on the success of Waterdeep: Dragon Heist. Forgotten Realms Laeral Silverhand Explorer’s Kit will be available in stores everywhere on March 17, 2020!

Let Laeral Silverhand – Open Lord of Waterdeep, centuries-old archmage, and daughter of the goddess of magic – guide you on your path to adventure. The new kit includes eleven dice placed in a durable, felt-lined box that functions as two dice trays. Fans can also enjoy the twenty illustrated, double-sided cards detailing Laeral’s expert insights on key characters, locations, and lore from across the Forgotten RealmsTM and a foldout double-sided map of the Sword Coast and city of Waterdeep.
  • Eleven dice (two d20s, one d12, two d10s, one d8, four d6s, one d4).
  • Twenty illustrated, double-sided cards detailing Laeral's expert insights on key characters, locations, and lore from across the Forgotten Realms.
  • A durable, felt-lined box that functions as two dice trays.
  • Foldout double-sided map of the Sword Coast and the city of Waterdeep.

oreofox

Explorer
Yet another Sword Coast thing. That's all they've had for the last 5.5 years of 5e, with one side trek into Chult, Ravenloft, and a token nod at Greyhawk. There's more to FR than the Sword Coast. This is about as bad as Paizo focusing solely on the Inner Sea area, and having 3 or 4 APs set in Varisia.

Glad that those who enjoy it get another thing, but this has no appeal or anything to me. Doesn't give me any hope that the other thing they will reveal on the 9th will be something other than another Sword Coast adventure, again.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Seriously? Lol okay. It’s trivially easy to slip into pretty much any world.

I mean... that's pretty much true of any fantasy thing anywhere that uses D&D rules and is semi-Euro based.

You can slip them from any world to the other easily... because they're all based on the same rules and flavor. There is nothing monumentally striking about anywhere in Greyhawk that you couldn't just dump into FR or vice versa or Iron kingdoms or really Dragonlance. Even Eberron is relatively interchangable with most Euro-flavored fantasy worlds.

It only becomes a problem when you start using other cultural themes or vastly (non-Euro based) different themes/settings (Dark Sun, Planescape, etc.) that interchanging becomes more difficult.

After all this frenzied speculation, it would be pretty funny if this were a red herring or only tangentially connected to the upcoming book. I'm not saying that will be the case, mind you, just that it would be amusing if it were...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
After all this frenzied speculation, it would be pretty funny if this were a red herring or only tangentially connected to the upcoming book. I'm not saying that will be the case, mind you, just that it would be amusing if it were...

I now suspect the name is slightly less spoilery than I thought...but probably not by much.

TheSword

Legend
It’s particularly smart that they use an area that people with have heard of through other mediums - Baldurs Gate, Lords of Waterdeep, Neverwinter Nights. It’s very clever marketing.

As I said in another post I think they have learnt from the mistakes 3rd ed made with Greyhawk.

TheSword

Legend
To be fair Descent is set in the nine hells and is only tangently linked to the Sword Coast. Same applies to Tomb and the Jungle theme, Same applies to the Abyss, Same applies to Curse of Strahd, Same applies to Yawning Portal. Dragonheist is a city adventure that could be placed anywhere. Mad Mage is a series of dungeons that could be placed anywhere.

To be honest only the Tiamat Campaign, Princes and The Giant Campaign are materially set on the sword coast and they could easily be transplanted.

Peoples beef with the Sword Coast is really unfounded.

Sunsword

Adventurer
I hate to be a kook, but aesthetically it bothers me that both d20 are large, I've like it in the past when 1 d20 was large and the other was standard size.

gyor

Legend
To be fair Descent is set in the nine hells and is only tangently linked to the Sword Coast. Same applies to Tomb and the Jungle theme, Same applies to the Abyss, Same applies to Curse of Strahd, Same applies to Yawning Portal. Dragonheist is a city adventure that could be placed anywhere. Mad Mage is a series of dungeons that could be placed anywhere.

To be honest only the Tiamat Campaign, Princes and The Giant Campaign are materially set on the sword coast and they could easily be transplanted.

Peoples beef with the Sword Coast is really unfounded.

It has a whole Gazeteer, maps of two swordcoast cities, and trip to Candlekeep, and more. And its not a beef with the Swordcoast, its a beef with WotC thinking its the only part of the Forgotten Realms. I love the Swordcoast, its just when to want stuff in other parts of it and they keep zoning into the Swordcoast it geta frustrating, and ironically breeds resentments, which ironically is bad for the Swordcoast.

Remove ads

Remove ads