Morrus' SH II - War of the Burning Sky (4e) (updated 21st & 22nd October)

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
Snow lay thickly on the ground and continued to drift silently as four friends trudged through the dark streets of Gate Pass. Rumours of the Ragesian army’s imminent arrival were so rife that even on New Year’s Eve the streets lay empty and silent, and the tracks from the four’s footprints were the only trails leading through the western district of the small city.

However the four were still in relatively good humour. They were all of disparate races, though they blended into the populace of Gate Pass, they would probably look peculiar in other parts of the world.

“Oi, Tyr,” muttered a slim hide-clad elf from the back of the group, “There’s nothing down here apart from a few warehouses, stables, and - when did they close the Poison Apple?”

His outstretched finger pointed to a distant building, whose windows were boarded over and nailed fast. The wooden sign hung by only a single mounting over the door on which was attached a sheet of parchment.

Tarn, clad in clattering mail, squinted forwards.

“By her lady’s dark feathers, Grusalock,” he swore. “How do you see that? It’s all I can do to make out the building in this weather.”

To his side, kicking through the snow was a white-scaled draconic figure. Clad lightly in thin robes he was humming to himself as he enjoyed the frigid weather. Wisps of even colder air escaped his mouth as he grinned broadly at the squat muscular orcish figure ahead of them.

“Listen to the poor half elf,” he crowed. “I tell you, Tyr, he wishes he was back in his mother’s kitchen warming himself at the fire – we’re only going to the pub for New Years’ and he’s insisted in putting on his full metal skin!”

He reached out to rap on the plate whilst Tyr and Grusalock grinned at him; then the half-orc frowned at the doors as they grew nearer.

“You’re right, elf,” he growled. “We were supposed to meet Torrent before midnight to allow us to take some action before the Ragesians army gets here. Word is that some fool on the Council wants to open the gates to the inquisitors.”

Despite his frosty heritage, Wingwrath the dragonborn shuddered and stared at the half orc, but the others were exchanging glances with one another.

“Tyr, you’re not dragging us into one of your mad plans again, are you?” Grusalock was frowning at the thought. “Last time you took us roof running you said it was all a complicated bet, and we turned out to be chasing a Shahalesti agent.”

“And I got into trouble with the commander for letting you into the military stables,” nodded Tarn.

“This is important,” said Tyr as he shuffled his booted feet in the snow. “Look, let’s just check it out and see if our contact is up there waiting for us and maybe we can get a pint or two somewhere else.”

Grudgingly, the others followed him to the doors of the pub, where they noticed that light was spilling around the boarded windows. The parchment, flapping in the breeze, filled them with concern.

Official Notice

Trehan Finner
Owner of the Poison Apple Pub

Has been taken into temporary custody under the protection of the city guard until such time that representatives of the Ragesian Empire can question and find him / her innocent of hostile collusion.

The Poison Apple Pub
is hereby closed until further notice.

The companions looked around in sudden concern – even Wingwrath suddenly feeling the cold as he saw the stamp of the mage-hunting Ragesian Inquisition affixed to the bottom of the parchment.

Muttering something about “instructions”, Tyr stepped around to a narrow alleyway to the side of the building and knocked on a side door whilst Grusalock narrowed his elven eyes and looked around suspiciously.

As Tyr knocked, the door was wrenched open by a tall white haired woman, who looked down a ling tanned nose at the half-orc’s fanged face. She wore blue enamelled armour crafted with a wave motif, and had a wavy-bladed blue-steel battleaxe belted to her waist.

She smiled in approval. “You must be Tyr and his companions. I am Torrent. I was told to expect you at this hour. Come.”

Following the woman’s imperious gesture, the group entered the barroom to find it in complete disarray. A bust of Emperor Coaltongue sat upon the bar and surveyed the scene; tables and chairs heaped to one side and blocking a doorway.

Several chairs and a table had clearly been hauled from the pile and a lantern burned brightly on a squat barrel to one side.

Lifting the lantern onto the table, Torrent broached the top of the barrel with her axe, and gestured that the companions should find mugs either behind the bar or in the pile of debris. Once everyone had a drink, she continued speaking.

“Just because we’re about to go to war,” she smiled ruefully, “there’s no reason not to celebrate New Year.”

The five talked about times and sank their tankards into the barrel as the bells of the city rang in the New Year.

As the town outside fell silent once again, Torrent leaned back in her chair and signed bitterly.

“I guess it’s time to get down to business. The city is in trouble. The Ragesians will most likely be here in strength tomorrow. I used to study at a place named the Lyceum in Seaquen, and I have been sent word from them that they are willing to take a stand against the Ragesians. We need to get word to them; in the ordinary course of events we would send a teleporting courier, but there is something interfering with them. Perhaps the work of the Ragesians, but our last courier arrived with us screaming and burning, his message dying with him.

“We cannot go overland; the city gates have been closed and several idiots on the council want to invite the inquisitors into the city. There’s some indication that they may be here already, and the gates have been closed to stop people from escaping – though members of the military can still get in and out.

“We also have a task tonight; we need to meet the gnome Riverii Badgerface – he has a case containing a number of Ragesian battle plans. We need to meet him at the depository half a mile or so away, and then we need to get the plans out of the city with all due haste.”

As she glanced around the table at the young men before her, she could read most of their faces easily enough – Tyr would do all he could to assist the resistance; Tarn was eager for adventure and to do what he could in his perceived duty to thwart the invaders; Wingwrath Winterborn would want to escape the city ahead of the inquisition. Grusalock, however, was looking up at the ceiling, and pointed up at a wisp of dust which was falling from the rafters. The elf placed a slender hand to one pointed ear and gestured both upwards and out to the street. Straining her senses, Torrent realised that she could hear the faint crunching of boots in the snow and the muffled jingle of a covered harness.

Then came a shout from outside.

“Front door! Go!”

There was a sudden crash as something heavy was smashed into the pub’s door.

Last edited:

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Fantastic to have you back and writing, Eccles!

I've heard a lot about the War of the Burning Sky, but haven't had a chance to really read through all the material, so this is going to be a fascinating read for me.

Eccles

We've done a few bits and pieces since the end of Worms. Tried out 4e with a few short games, given Russ a break by 3 of us running either 4e or M&M.

The 3 of us who reached the end of Age of Worms are back, with a new guy.

I've picked up Tarn Halfelven, paladin of the Lady of Sorrows and ex pastry chef.
Flynne is now to be called Wingborn Winterwrath, dragonborn sorceror of all things cold.
Janga the gnome cleric is now Grusalock the elven druid (you were all going to guess the druid part next installment when he turned into a bear and tore someone's head off).
Finally, we have Charles - he wasn't with us last time but joined shortly after we finished the 'Worms' gig. He's playing Tyr, who is a brutal half orc rogue.

Torrent the cleric is an NPC supplied by the module, which is good as we needed a healer in the party!

It may be that Inconsequenti-Al (who played the unforgettable halfling barbarian... whose name I've forgotten) may join us for the odd session, but he's moved away and can't make it for the usual thursday thing.

Edit: Fez, dammit. Of course it was Fez.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Here's a picture of Torrent standing outside the Poison Apple Pub:

40318d1243508937-art-preview-thread-torrent_apple_fini.jpg

And here's the note affixed to the door:

attachment.php

Attachments

• note.jpg
    note.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 4,254

Dpulse303

Meat head
Ladies and Germs ,
May I present

WingWrath Winterhatch,
level 2
Dragonborn, Sorcerer
Build: Dragon Sorcerer
Spell Source: Dragon Magic
Dragon Soul: Dragon Soul Cold

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 17, Con 14, Dex 8, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 15, Con 14, Dex 8, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 16.

AC: 17 Fort: 15 Reflex: 12 Will: 18
HP: 31 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 9

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +6, Diplomacy +10, Intimidate +12, Bluff +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Dungeoneering +1, Endurance +3, Heal +1, History +3, Insight +1, Nature +1, Perception +1, Religion +1, Stealth, Streetwise +5, Thievery, Athletics +4

FEATS
Feat User Choice: Student of War [gate pass]
Level 1: Draconic Spellcaster
Level 2: Armor Proficiency (Leather)

POWERS
Sorcerer at-will 1: Dragonfrost
Sorcerer at-will 1: Burning Spray
Sorcerer daily 1: Ice Javelins
Sorcerer encounter 1: Frostbind
Sorcerer utility 2: Elemental Shift

ITEMS
Sunrods (4), Harp, Fine Clothing, Cloak of Resistance +1, Deathcut Leather Armor +1, Wyrmtooth Dagger +1

Great start to the story hour Nik ,
Im really enjoying playing this so far very very cool start to the campaign.
just for the record check name and items for next update , do try to get the name right old boy ;)

Id like to introduce myself ,
Wingwrath is the name and i was hatched in the cold months high in the mountains surrounding gate pass ,to a noble draconic family with pure blood and good standing in the city , durung my youth i learnt to play a variety of musical instruments and compose reasonable songs .

Around adolescence i started manifesting some magical ability .

My parents due to their standing in the city got me admitted to Gabals school unfortunately I was the outcast and were it not for my fearsome demeanor I think I would have had a tougher time with the other pupils , I left after my first year .

They taught me a bit about history and how to read some of their arcane tongue but i do not miss the place nor care about it ,
my powers seem more inherited from a power of old, and not containable in books or scrolls.

... My favourite colours are blue , white and silver,
which is lucky i guess beacause my scales are a light blue paling to silver at the edges ,very rare amongst my species so im told .

I pay token respect to the lord of all dragons but to be honest religion is not my thing and the last time I was in a temple to pay my respects was a long time ago.

well thats me

Wingwrath Winterhatch

Eccles

Glimpsed through the window, the companions could see a small group of thugs, led by a horseman who was off to one side. From the side door, the sound of barking dogs could be heard; briefly eclipsed by another shuddering slam of a heavy timber against the front door.

As Tarn strapped his shield to his arm, the others leapt up and looked to the exits. Grusalock’s form blurred and warped as he swelled up into the form of a towering brown bear. He shambled across to the front door, even as it was smashed open.

In ran several men wearing black armbands. The first ducked nimbly under Grusalock’s swinging claw, but his movement merely meant that the bear’s paw slammed into the throat of the man entering behind him, who fell back into the snow bleeding from a terrible throat wound.

Tyr dashed around behind one thug with a ugly dagger in one hand, receiving a blow to the head as he tried to flank his opponent. Staggered, he still managed to sink his blade into the man’s side.

From outside, Grusalock could see a small burning light appear suddenly in the sky directly over the inn. Amidst an ear-splitting bang, the light suddenly burst outwards and covered the roof of the building with heat and flame as a tremendous cask of burning pitch shattered over the timbers. His keen elven ears could hear the screaming of a man who was on the top floor of the building, as burning oils leaked through the mangled ceiling, instantly turning the upper floors into an inferno.

Distracted by this sight, he didn’t really notice his enemies moving to surround him, lashing out with clubs at his massive form. He shrank back against a wall as several heavy blows connected.

Inside, combat halted briefly as everyone turned to see a screaming, burning figure collapse down the stairwell, to land in a heap on the floor. Burning oil began to seep through the ceiling timbers as desperate hands tightened on weapons again. Tarn was struck as Torrent moved to the door and lashed out with her battleaxe.

Tyr’s opponent’s blood sprayed from a vicious throat slash which earned the grinning half-orc a reproachful look from Tarn, whilst outside Grusalock lashed around himself and smashed two of his enemies heads against a third, dropping them all into the blood-spattered snow.

Tarn leapt out of the side door, to encounter three snarling war-hounds in the cramped alleyway. One of them reached past him to snap at Wingwrath as he cast a spell – the bite distracting the dragonborn enough that his sell left a patch of frost on the alley wall.

Inside the burning building, Torrent was beset by problems – one of the thugs outside had struck her a hefty blow, and suddenly with a tremendous crash a baulk of burning timber slammed down heavily on her shoulder bringing to her knees.

In the street, dogs launched themselves at the now seriously hurt Grusalock and the heavily armoured Tarn; barks and yells mixed in with the sounds coming from the city as a whole.

Overhead, wyverns swooped and drifted over the city, which was now firmly ablaze. Periodically, one of them would drop a heavy cask of pitch and add to the destruction in the city. Screams from the populace drifted up to meet them, as the terrified citizens desperately tried to find safety amidst the burning chaos.

Tarn advanced on the knight, hacking down a dog with his longsword as he strode forwards. Wingwrath chanted from behind him and sent a blast of magic over his shoulder which splashed against the knight’s armour which condensed into a thick layer of ice.

As he stepped out of the alley, two of the surviving thugs charged Tarn, and a sap and a handaxe bounced off his armour.

They were met by a claw from Grusalock and a prayer from Torrent, and both of them collapsed into the snow.

The knight drew his sword and hacked down at Tarn, calling out “Stand down!”, and the hugely powerful strike clanged into Tarn’s helmet, staggering him. His counter-strike was inaccurate, and the knight swing again in a counter-attack.

Roaring in pain as he was struck once again, Wingwrath unleashed another blast of cold into the face of another thug; and then their leader bellowed out “it’s no good – get out of here”, at which point the two surviving armband wearing bandits moved to flee.

Hacking another deep groove into Tarn’s armour, the knight swung his horse to flee from the alleyway, and all the companions began to chant; Tarn blasting thunder from his sword-tip, Torrent creating a tidal surge in the snow with her invocation. Wingwrath also blasted the fleeing knight before lightning crashed down out of the snowy skies at Grusalock’s calling. As the armoured form crashed off his horse, something barely visible evaporated like mist out from his body.

Remove ads