D&D 5E Movies that make you want to play D&D

Bladecoder

First Post
Alright so I want to find some movies or shows that get people in the mood to roleplay. Weather they be fantasy or Sifi... I don't care just anything that gets you in the mood to play D&D. I would prefer if you posted them in a list but you can do it however you'd like.

1. D&D cartoon: This show is awesome and amost never fails to make me want to jump right into a high fantasy campaign.

2. Starwars Trilogy (Orginal 3): These are some of my all time favorite movies and they always make me want jump into a X-Wing set course for Dagobah and begin a Starwars campaign.

3. Lord of the Rings Trilogy: These films are epic and a perfect way to get into the mood of Roleplaying, esspecially with awesome characters to get inspired from (my favorite being Aragorn).

4. The Princess Bride: Anyone who has seen this film knows what I am talking about, with mixture of medieval culture and some high fantasy, how could this movie not inspire you to avenge your father's death, by killing a six fingered man?

5. The Goonies: This is an odd one, but seeing a group of odd heros ventur into a dark dungeon created by old pirates, always makes me want to form a group and just do something epic in D&D

Leave any amount of movies (or shows) you'd like down below, I can't wait to read them. Goodbye and Happy Gaming to you!

Ezequielramone

Explorer
Labyrinth (dungeons)
The movie with the warrior owls (fantasy creatures fighting)
Hercules (the one with the rock)
John Carter from Mars (dark sun)
Gladiator (dark sun)
Heavy metal (super weird, like d&d players)
Kubo and the two strings (it's a bard)
Zero charisma (weird ass player)

Greg K

Legend
Archer: Fugitive From the Empire (a.k.a, Archer and the Sorceress): A failed U.S. tv pilot that was released in Europe as a movie. Slant is, in my opinion, the perfect example of a rogue. Toran is why I prefer my rangers to be non-magical, and, while I am not sure what spell casting class models Estra best, she was pretty cool and has a magic amulet that conjures different animals (horse, snake, and, if I recall correctly, a panther)

The Beastmaster (movie): Why can't we ever get a beastmaster that duplicates Dar with the "panther", eagle, and ferrets?
Dragonslayer
Excalibur
Heavy Metal (both the Den and Taarna sequences)
Ladyhawke: Philipe is why I think there needs to be a rogue option that does not sneak attack and focuses on avoidng getting hit and escaping.
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Harryhausen Jason and the Argonauts and Sinbad movies.

Robin Hood (Errol Flynn)
The Count of Monte Cristo (Jim Caviezel)
The Mask of Zorro (Antonio Banderas): The training sequence

Sacrosanct

Legend
Campy Arnold movies (Conan, Red Sonja)
Animated Hobbit/LOTR movies (heck, almost anything from Rankin or Bakshi)
Black Cauldron (animated)
Excalibur
Beastmaster
All of the Harryhausen movies (especially Clash of the Titans, Eye of the Tiger, and Jason and the Argonauts)

These probably all date me lol

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I'll add a few:

Hawk the Slayer
Record of Lodoss War (it basically is a D&D campaign)
The Sword and the Sorcerer

1) Krull: This movie is a classic! Finely aged cheese with shockingly good production values and a killer James Horner score.

2) Willow: One of my favorites! It's too bad the follow up books by Lucas and Chris Clairmont were atrocious. "You are great!"

3) Conan the Barbarian and the Destroyer: While the first is better across the board because James Earl Jones, the second is still a lot of fun.

4) Red Sonja: It even has Conan...er...I mean, "Lord Kalidor"!

5) Yor the Hunter From the Future: I was young enough the first time I saw this stinker that I couldn't grasp just how terrible it is. But I find myself always wanting the same crazy mix of fantasy and sci-if.

6) Flash Gordon: "FLASH!!! AH ah!!!!"

7) Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves: "You whine like a mule! But you are still alive!"

8) The Indiana Jones Trilogy (the 4th movie shall not be named by myself. Ever...): "Cover your heart Indy! Cover your heart!!"

9) The Beastmaster: This was an HBO pillar back in the day. And it has Rip Torn!

10) Young Sherlock Holmes: I believe this is very underrated masterpiece. "Rumitapp! Rumitapp!"

pdzoch

Explorer
Noone listed Dungeons and Dragons movie? I know it is a horrible movie, but it does get me in the mood for D&D.

Add Big Trouble in Little China. Essentially a trucker in a D&D game.

Kung Fu Hustle.

Almost any martial arts movie, especially Bruce Lee flicks like Game of Death, or even Jackie Chan adventure films like Armor of God or A2.

Almost amy medieval film works for me, too. Like Henry V, Vikings, The Warriors (not to be confused with the NY gang movie Warriors).

Noone mentioned Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

Time Bandits

And dare I say Robin Hood: Men in Tights?

Sent via magic sending while journeying on a quest.

Remove ads