Mxyzplk's Rise of the Runelords Campaign

mxyzplk

Explorer
My group is going through Paizo Publishing's excellent Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path. We're about halfway through, and I have the first dozen session summaries posted on my blog. I'll notify as new ones come through! Come read them - you'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll read things you wish you could un-read.

Rise of the Runelords Session Summaries

So far, I've enjoyed my stint as Valgrim the dwarven malconvoker. I summon monsters like they're going out of style!

mxyzplk

Explorer
Finally, we completed the third chapter of the Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path, “The Hook Mountain Massacre.” We put as many sessions into Hook Mountain as into the previous two chapters combined!

Twelfth Session - The Hook Mountain Massacre Part VI

The fun part about this is that Xanesha is becoming our main recurring supervillain, which is a deviation from the scenarios’ plots. But she keeps escaping, getting tougher, and starting new evil plans.

Our PCs are getting into the whole gig of running the Black Arrows - we all have Black Arrow tattoos now and have put a lot of work into making them a force to reckon with. We got the local Hellknight to send us lots of recruits, got the Lord Mayor of Magnimar to send us an officer corps that wasn’t criminals, rebuilt and enhanced the keep, and have equipped our guys with the best captured equipment a sword can buy. After frequent PC-led reconnaisance in force missions into the wilderness, they’re a tough bunch!

Attic Whisperer

First Post
Hey I just picked up the pathfinder 1-3, Ive read your takes of book 1 and most of book 2. (Sounds like you have your hands full with PC's but good writing none the less)
I noticed that you are using up to 7 players at points... how do you scale the adventure? Im planning to run the module, any advice? Thanks in advance!
Attic Whisperer

mxyzplk

Explorer
Attic Whisperer said:
Hey I just picked up the pathfinder 1-3, Ive read your takes of book 1 and most of book 2. (Sounds like you have your hands full with PC's but good writing none the less)
I noticed that you are using up to 7 players at points... how do you scale the adventure? Im planning to run the module, any advice?

Well, I'm a player and not the GM. But so far he's pretty much been running it as written - though there's a long list of players several of them only showed up one or two times. And we've fallen behind the XP curve some. Don't worry, it's hard enough for a full party!

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I've got to say, these are pretty good. I'm currently running Rise of the Runelords (I'm about where you guys are--the party just finished up Hook Mountain Massacre), and it's always interesting to see how other groups play it.

I really like the idea of Xanesha as a recurring villain. I was all set for it in my game... and the hobgoblin bard got a lucky critical and shot out her heart as she was flying away.

Demiurge out.

mxyzplk

Explorer
Heh, that's fitting because I keep trying to get the DM to let me craft arrows of WHOOOOORE-slaying!!! Specifically to use on her.

mxyzplk

Explorer
It's been a long haul, but we've now started Fortress of the Stone Giants! Nothing subtle about these bad boys. Also, some more full character sheets are up.

Fortress of the Stone Giants Part I

Our special Spring Break adventure follows the standard format of a Spring Break vacation. A road trip, gossip, shopping, drinking, violence, assessing the damage, and fleeing the scene.

Drop a line or comment on the blog if you're enjoying these!

Last edited:

mxyzplk

Explorer
We have struck a double blow for the good guys in the Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path! See:

Rise of the Runelords
-- Fortress of the Stone Giants
---- Fourteenth Session - Fortress of the Stone Giants Part II
In which we rescue the Scarnettis, travel cross country, kill some wildlife, and arrive at the Fortress of the Stone Giants!
---- Fifteenth Session - Fortress of the Stone Giants Part III
In which I Planar Bind a bar-lgura, and Ravno slays Xanesha but is killed himself in the process, as we infiltrate the Fortress of the Stone Giants! You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll try to get the mental image of an orangutang demon sexually abusing a lamia's corpse out of your mind!

[Edited: I got ahead of myself and posted the blurb for session 15 with the link to session 14 - so now you get a double shot of session summaries at once!]

Last edited:

mxyzplk

Explorer
The time has come! Welcome to:

Sixteenth Session - Fortress of the Stone Giants Part IV! Thrill to the murdering of many giants. And a stone golem. We free many of my dwarven brethren being held as slaves! And my demon monkey grows restless.

All Fortress of the Stone Giant summaries and commentary:
http://mxyzplk.wordpress.com/session-summaries/rise-of-the-runelords/fortress-of-the-stone-giants/

Our Rise of the Runleords AP Page, with summaries of other chapters, character sheets and more:
http://mxyzplk.wordpress.com/session-summaries/rise-of-the-runelords/

mxyzplk

Explorer
Come and hearken to the last installment of the Fortress of the Stone Giants from Paizo’s Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path. We slay Mokmurien and shed some dim light on the next leg of the plot!

* Seventeenth Session - Fortress of the Stone Giants Part V

Do you want headless giant necromancers? Hounds of Tindalos? Dwarven boogeymen? Then this is the session summary for you!

In the end, our brave heroes retire to Fort Ranek with loot, freed prisoners, Ravno’s missing sister, and some new scars in tow!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases