RPG Evolution: My Goals for 2022

With a 28% success rate on my goals for last year, it’s time to recalibrate.

goals2022.png

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

Paint More Miniatures​

I backed a lot of Reaper Bones Kickstarters and I’m still working through my backlog. As I paint them, I replace prepainted miniatures that are similar. This helps keep my inventory under control and gives me a goal to work toward.

There are two barriers to doing this. The first issue is something I'm a little ashamed to admit: I can't see as well as I used to. An eye doctor visit told me this is merely age and not something I can correct with surgery, so it means I need to use magnifying glasses to paint. This is probably for the best (I miss details without it), but it requires more prep than simply sitting down and painting.

The second issue is lighting. Daylight is by far the best lighting to paint by for me, but with the winter weather painting outside is often not practical. So the ideal painting schedule is when it's warm out, sunny out, and not during work hours. This makes Daylight Savings Time much more important and according to my calendar, begins on March 13.

Expand My Online Game​

My online D&D group runs pretty lean with five players, and that means if one can’t make it, the game plays very differently. If two players can’t make it the game is cancelled. I’ve mentioned before that breaking each adventure up by session allows for new players to join, and I’m expanding the group to six.

I've got six players lined up for my next game, 5E Quest: Clockwork Carillon so I'm looking forward to getting started. Because I use my games as playtests for what I publish, there's a lot of prework that goes into creating these adventures (tokens, maps, stats, etc.). I created it all myself, but that also means double the work since we're playing online: first, I write it in Word, then I translate it all into Roll20. The good news is that this makes publishing content easier later, but boy is it a lot of up front work!

To save time, I tend to run all the games in my world concurrently. Which is to say when I play D&D with my Boy Scouts, their adventures take place at or around the same time as the "main" adventure. Last time, the troop played an army of knights invading a haunted mansion in 5E Quest: Mastherik Manor, while my online group played through the adventure inside. It helps flesh out the game organically and sometimes interacts in surprising ways (I now know who will come to the rescue if the PCs get in trouble).

Get Ready for 5.5E​

The next edition of Dungeons & Dragons, 5.5E as I call it, is coming. As I revised my existing products on DriveThruRPG, I’m using the guidelines Wizards laid out at Sage Advice. For the most part, the changes aren't too onerous, but given that I've written monster books with hundreds of monsters in them, it's going to take some time to convert them.

Then there's the question of whether or not any of this matters to consumers (yet) and how to advertise it. Should I rename all my products 5.5E to indicate compatibility? Time will tell.

Run More Virtual Panels​

I’m Chair for the Committee for the Advancement of Role-Playing Games (CAR-PGA) and we run monthly virtual panels, interviewing someone of interest in the role-playing field. I hope to do more of that and achieve 100 subscribers on our YouTube channel so that we can create a shortlink.

This month we have Jim Wampler of Mudpuppy Games followed by Tim Hutchings, author of Thousand Year Old Vampire, in February. Looking forward to it!

Go to Conventions Again​

My entire family is now fully vaccinated as of last month, so I look forward to going to small, local conventions to start. But Omicron has other plans, so for the moment we're hunkering down and watching the numbers. Here's hoping things turn around in the next few months.

Your Turn: What are your goals for 2022?

Last edited:

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
There are two barriers to doing this. The first issue is something I'm a little ashamed to admit: I can't see as well as I used to. An eye doctor visit told me this is merely age and not something I can correct with surgery, so it means I need to use magnifying glasses to paint. This is probably for the best (I miss details without it), but it requires more prep than simply sitting down and painting.

The second issue is lighting. Daylight is by far the best lighting to paint by for me, but with the winter weather painting outside is often not practical. So the ideal painting schedule is when it's warm out, sunny out, and not during work hours. This makes Daylight Savings Time much more important and according to my calendar, begins on March 13.
You need these. Less than $20. Works great!

61rQ+VUI-jL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

As far as my goals for 2022 and gaming (RPGs specifically): Reviving (and revising) 4th Edition D&D beginning with Reavers of Harkenwold.

Ulfgeir

Hero
My goals:

• Write more adventures for The Troubleshooters (and play them)
  • Write more adventures for my game Halloweenia, which started as a challenge to write a game in 1000 words or less. Have already expanded it with more critters and some more other text. The idea is now to put in maybe 10 different adventures and package it.
  • Reskin Halloweenia for other settings, and write adventures for that
  • Help with more proofreading on other games. Depending if they sound interesting or not, and other persons productivity
  • Paint the minis for some boardgames. Grey plastic doesn't look that nice. Of course, I still haven't played those games yet either so...
  • Hopefully finish my Steampunk-novel. Only been working on it on and off (mostly off) since 2005 or 2006.. ;)

Von Ether

Legend
For me, more video content is a new year's resolution. I've still been doing interviews, one came out just last week with the Designer's Den but also more original videos.

As for 5.5, I am glad to see capitalization of game terms gain traction again. I still don't know the reasoning why it fell out of favor, but I can tell you that I was so confused on my first skip and skim of 5e because I didn't know that advantage/disadvantage were game terms. If they had been capitalized, I would have immediately stopped and then used the index to find out what those terms meant. But since they weren't I didn't even know to use the index.

Yes, if I had read the book sequentially, I would have found the term early on, but a game book is also a reference book and that was a major fail. Also, as a I writer I can appreciate that sometime you have to the same word in a colloquial sense that exists as a game term and capitalization helps keep the two uses distinct.

Last year I had bunch of goal that I forgot to do. I found my note to self on January 1st 2021. It said to buy 1,000 shares of Game Stop Stock, $10,000 worth of Dodgecoin, and place a $5,000 bet that the Braves would win the world series.

Instead of doing any of that I just wasted my time posting jokes on the EnWorld comment section.

This year I am going to buckle down and post 3% less jokes.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I want to find a smaller but still decent-sized gaming convention within a couple-few hours drive. Small enough to not be overwhelming (like GenCon), but big enough to have a nice array of actual gaming options. I want to try new games - face-to-face - run by people who know how to run them.

I have all the basic materials for painting gaming-scale ruins and buildings and such, but I need to clear enough space in our very crowded lounge to fit the table I want to do that on.

I want to run a 5E game, but I've had a lot of GMing anxiety the last couple times I did it. I need to figure out what the deal is there. I have no shortage of ideas...

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases