My Guilty Pleasure: DEATHLANDS/OUTLANDERS series by James Axler

Undead Pete

First Post
I realize they're not going to win any Pulitzers, but I have nearly every book in each series, and am working my way through them. To me, they're escapist post-apocalyptic fun. There are over 60 books in the DEATHLANDS series, and over 30 in the spinoff OUTLANDERS series.

Does anyone else read the series? From what I've read, DEATHLANDS is becoming somewhat cookiecutter, but the OUTLANDERS line is great.

I also think that the world of the series is just ripe for a d20 Modern adaptation. Any Publishers listening out there?? :cool:

Villano

First Post
I've never heard of them before, but didn't Sci-Fi run a made-for-tv movie called Deathlands: Homeward Bound? Was that based on a book? From the title, I assume it was.

Undead Pete

First Post
Villano said:
I've never heard of them before, but didn't Sci-Fi run a made-for-tv movie called Deathlands: Homeward Bound? Was that based on a book? From the title, I assume it was.
It was based on the 5th or 6th book, and it wasn't too bad, but it was set up as a stand-alone story without all the cool mutants and the main plot thread of the Totality Concept, or the plot hook of the mat/trans chambers (think primitive transporters from Star Trek to locations all over the Americas). I think they may have been testing the waters for a series, but it didn't work out.

Anyway, with the wealth of locales in the novels and the detailed mythology....especially what is set up in the spinoff series Outlanders...I think it's perfect for a d20 Modern setting.

Last edited:

Remove ads