Naming Nitpickery

drothgery

First Post
Just to remind people...

Five Nations (Aundair, Breland, Cyre, Karrnath, Thrane) nobility are First ir'Last. i.e. Jarot ir'Wynarn (though that could easily be misspelled).

Members of dragonmarked houses are First Last d'House (though Last is usually omitted except within a house; there are multiple families within every dragonmarked house). i.e. Merrix d'Cannith

No non-nobles have ir' names.
No non-members of dragonmarked houses have d' names.

Last edited:

Patlin

Explorer
drothgery said:
No non-nobles have ir' names.
No non-members of dragonmarked houses have d' names.

Can you give me a citation on the latter part? One of my characters has an assumed name of D'Aundair, indicating that he has given up all familly ties and is instead completely devoted to the nation he serves. While I'm not sure a d' name and a D' name are the same, I'd like to read over the section of the campaign setting you are reffering to.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Patlin said:
Can you give me a citation on the latter part? One of my characters has an assumed name of D'Aundair, indicating that he has given up all familly ties and is instead completely devoted to the nation he serves. While I'm not sure a d' name and a D' name are the same, I'd like to read over the section of the campaign setting you are reffering to.
Surnames sidebar, ECS 138.

GwydapLlew

First Post
There's nothing necessarily wrong with the d'Aundair surname. It's just odd, and people may react oddly to that. I've met a girl names LaNinjaDonatella before, so it's not like people don't make silly mistakes with names. =)

Patlin

Explorer
Interesting. D'Aundair certainly satisfies the "name related to their region of origin" suggestion. However, I would point out that the sidebar states that royal add the ir' and dragonmarked houses add the d'. It does not state that only dragonmarked houses have the d' and only royals have the 'ir.

Or, in terms of logic:
A -> B does not guarantee B -> A.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Patlin said:
Interesting. D'Aundair certainly satisfies the "name related to their region of origin" suggestion. However, I would point out that the sidebar states that royal add the ir' and dragonmarked houses add the d'. It does not state that only dragonmarked houses have the d' and only royals have the 'ir.

Or, in terms of logic:
A -> B does not guarantee B -> A.
While in point of logic that makes since, in terms of the law, I'd think you'd get arrested for impersonating a noble or a dragonmarked member. Remember, this ain't modern times, this is the more structured psuedo-middle ages.

Patlin

Explorer
This isn't the middle ages, pseudo or otherwise. It's the period between the two world wars with magic substituted for technology. :)

I was mostly concerned that my character's name was breaking some rule. However, as I'm fairly sure D'Aundair won't be mistaken for d'Deneith, I'm figuring I'm in the clear. ;)

Bront

The man with the probe
I don't see it as a problem.

Not every house memeber takes the d' housename either. the two elven houses are probably the best examples of that though ;)

IcyCool

First Post
Just a note to say that I've changed my character's name (Aidan McAllistair to Aidan ir'Allistair). No real sweat off my back, and it keeps it more in line with the Eberron flavor. Thanks for pointing it out!

Remove ads