Neat morale system

ppaladin123

Adventurer
I didn't see this posted here on enworld, so I thought I would link it:

http://diceofdoom.com/blog/2010/03/speeding-up-dd-4e-combat-morale/

I was impressed with the simplicity of this system. It looks like a good way to reduce grind. Along with the updates to monster hp/damage/defenses, it might speed up combat significantly.

I haven't play-tested this or spent time tinkering with it, so I am not sure if it actually delivers. The creator seems to be on the right track though.

Thoguhts?

Rune

Once A Fool
I like it. It seems elegant; I'll give it a try. One thing I'm not sure about is applying all saving throw bonuses, though. I would think that some would not apply (vs. poisons, for instance), while some obviously would (vs. fear, for instance).

the Jester

Legend
Well, personally I don't need a morale check to know when the monsters break and run.

Kobolds? Pretty easily.

Demons? Not so much.

I just roleplay it out- but that said, I do miss having a morale system. I do not think it is currently necessary, but then again, I guess many dms never have the bad guys flee anything under any circumstances.

Heck, imc the party has gained a rep for victory (or at least survival) through negotiation- they've negotiated with kobolds, goblins, wererats, a dragon, bandits and even a pact hag.

RupertG

First Post
I saw this link appear in our logs, and I thought I'd drop by and say hi.

I was impressed with the simplicity of this system. It looks like a good way to reduce grind. Along with the updates to monster hp/damage/defenses, it might speed up combat significantly.

Thank you, that's what we were going for... :)

I like it. It seems elegant; I'll give it a try. One thing I'm not sure about is applying all saving throw bonuses, though. I would think that some would not apply (vs. poisons, for instance), while some obviously would (vs. fear, for instance).

If you play test it, can you let us know how it goes? We are always keen to find out how other people find playing the morale system. Any comments and suggestions are gratefully received.

Well, personally I don't need a morale check to know when the monsters break and run.

I'd agree, generally speaking. Some people prefer to have rules for these sorts of things, and we designed it as a tip of the hat to the previous editions of D&D. I personally use common sense in encounters, but others in our group use the rules.

Stalker0

Legend
The system looks pretty straightforward. Heck I think you could probably make it even simplier. All of the modifiers mentioned are probably not necessary...and how minions interact with other creatures could probably be simplified a bit more to create an even more streamlined system.

Ellisthion

First Post
The thing with rules-based morale systems is you really need to strike a balance between the usefulness of the rules, and how easy it is to use and remember. The rules in 1st and 2nd Ed may have been strong technically, but they failed at usability. Since the entire point of using morale rules is to speed up the game, it becomes stupid if you start looking at tables and saying, "wait, what was the modifier for...".

Rune said:
One thing I'm not sure about is applying all saving throw bonuses, though. I would think that some would not apply (vs. poisons, for instance), while some obviously would (vs. fear, for instance).

The wording's a bit iffy, yeah. The intent is to specify that general things like Human Perseverance will apply. As you say, specific save bonuses vs X should only apply where relevant.

the Jester

Legend
The old school "2d6, roll morale or under, simple modifiers" system was good n easy in the BECMI days. I don't think D&D has had a good system for morale since.

Similarly, in the 1.5e Greyhawk book the monsters have a reaction modifier that was supposed to affect their reaction roll to determine how hostile they were to the pcs when encountered. This looks like a cool, simple, useful mechanism that got dropped, too, and D&D has never had a good "random reaction from encounters" system since. But that milk spilled a long time ago. :)

Camelot

Adventurer
This is a really easy system, and I'm definitely going to use it to speed up combat! Of course, to balance monsters leaving early, there might be a bit more danger in the room... :devil:

Remind me to XP you for the great idea when I can. I've been spending all my effort on power levelling Mr. Gygax. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases