D&D 5E Necromancer Games 5E Monster Teaser #2 - The Aranea!

frankthedm

First Post
Crapshoot CR's again?

Looks very strong to my eyes, but i have not seen all that many of wotc's critters. I'd rather like to hear from folks who have seen more of the official monster's power levels. Notably it sounds like the shapechange lets the critter get a body capable of CR2 fighting and keep all it's spell goodies depending on just what is meant by "all the attributes of the adopted form"

Shapechange: An aranea can use its action to polymorph into a Medium beast or humanoid creature of CR 2 or lower, or from another form back into its own form. The aranea retains its Int, Wis, and Cha scores and its current hit points while polymorphed; otherwise, it takes on all the attributes of the adopted form. It can cast spells if the adopted form can provide the spell’s verbal and somatic components, and it retains its paralytic poison trait if the adopted form has a bite attack. A shapechanged aranea reverts to its natural form when slain

Last edited:

trentonjoe

Explorer
The CR seems about right. I think as a general rule the CR for spellcasters is something like CL-2.

Couple quibbles:

Spellcasting- I would like to see a (2) next to 2nd level spells for spells able to cast.

Poison- Don't most saving throws come at the end of the round? I could be wrong. And the save until you fail mechanic seems not in the spirit in the rules. I would prefer to run in something like:

First Save- Save DC 11- failure means posioned as per condition and must make another save at the end of their next turn
Second Save- Save DC 11- failure means paralyzed as per condition

I would also like a sentence in there saying that some aranea choose to become druids of the land, choosing the Underdark as their connection.

Looks very strong to my eyes, but i have not seen all that many of wotc's critters. I'd rather like to hear from folks who have seen more of the official monster's power levels. Notably it sounds like the shapechange lets the critter get a body capable of CR2 fighting and keep all it's spell goodies depending on just what is meant by "all the attributes of the adopted form"

I agree. Looking at other CR2 monsters, this looks far more versatile and dangerous than something like an Ogre, even if the ogre technically hits harder. CRs have always seemed kind of weird to me anyway, after all, a goblin ambushing from the woods with his high sneak is doing damage far beyond his pay grade of 1/4CR.

trentonjoe

Explorer
a 5th level Cleric is a CR 2:

Priest
Medium humanoid (any race), any alignment
Armor Class 13 (chain shirt)

Hit Points 27 (5d8 + 5)

Speed 25 ft.

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
10 (+0) 10 (+0) 12 (+1) 13 (+1) 16 (+3) 13 (+1)

Skills Medicine +7, Persuasion +3, Religion +4

Senses passive Perception 13

Languages any two languages

Challenge 2 (450 XP)

Divine Eminence. As a bonus action, the priest can expend a
spell slot to cause its melee weapon attacks to magically deal
an extra 10 (3d6) radiant damage to a target on a hit. This
benefit lasts until the end of the turn. If the priest expends a
spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the extra damage increases by
1d6 for each level above 1st.

Spellcasting. The priest is a 5th-level spellcaster. Its
spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 13, +5 to
hit with spell attacks). The priest has the following cleric
spells prepared:

Cantrips (at will): light, sacred flame, thaumaturgy
1st level (4 slots): cure wounds, guiding bolt, sanctuary
2nd level (3 slots): lesser restoration, spiritual weapon
3rd level (2 slots): dispel magic, spirit guardians

Actions
Mace. Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage

a 5th level Cleric is a CR 2:

Priest
Medium humanoid (any race), any alignment
Armor Class 13 (chain shirt)

Hit Points 27 (5d8 + 5)

Speed 25 ft.

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
10 (+0) 10 (+0) 12 (+1) 13 (+1) 16 (+3) 13 (+1)

Skills Medicine +7, Persuasion +3, Religion +4

Senses passive Perception 13

Languages any two languages

Challenge 2 (450 XP)

Divine Eminence. As a bonus action, the priest can expend a
spell slot to cause its melee weapon attacks to magically deal
an extra 10 (3d6) radiant damage to a target on a hit. This
benefit lasts until the end of the turn. If the priest expends a
spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the extra damage increases by
1d6 for each level above 1st.

Spellcasting. The priest is a 5th-level spellcaster. Its
spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 13, +5 to
hit with spell attacks). The priest has the following cleric
spells prepared:

Cantrips (at will): light, sacred flame, thaumaturgy
1st level (4 slots): cure wounds, guiding bolt, sanctuary
2nd level (3 slots): lesser restoration, spiritual weapon
3rd level (2 slots): dispel magic, spirit guardians

Actions
Mace. Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage

That's not a 5th level cleric, that is an NPC Priest with 5 HD. A 5th level cleric would also have a channel divinity as well as about 4 extra spells from their domain, not to mention at least Scale or Chain mail and a shield bringing their AC up to 16 or 18. And I don't totally agree that they should be CR2 either. I suppose challenge ratings should come with a disclaimer: in a straight, 1v4 fight, level 2 characters should be able to beat a CR2 with minimal damage. If the monsters attack in any sort of smart way, the CR doesn't mean squat.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
It says in the DM's basic rules that an encounter with a CR 3 monster against 4 Lvl 3 adventurers should be a challenge but result in no party deaths. That's pretty much all it says about it.

Thanks. I did read that. I was hoping someone might know a bit more since I don't get to read all of the articles, tweets, and the like. I suppose it might be DMG info which would still be under the NDA for anyone who might know it from a playtest source. I think it was the 3.XE standard to have a balanced encounter eat up 20% of "resources" though I might not be remembering this correctly and don't have anything to reference at hand.

Remove ads