Need advice to fix video watching on the web.

Chain Lightning

First Post
Hey, I got a prob with my computer I can't figure out how to solve. Not sure if this kinda thing is asked on this forum...but I thought I'd try anyways. If you guys can offer any advice on the problem I'd be totally grateful! :)

Basically, this is the problem: After installing the latest Windows Media Player (WMP11) and Macromedia Player, I can't watch anything anymore. No AVIs, no Quicktimes. Nothing on youtube or ign.com. Both of which were fine until I downloaded and installed latest versions.

What happened:Here's what happened (I'll run down the sequence of events, maybe that'll help piece together what happened).

Saw that I could download the new World of Warcraft Burning Crusade opening cgi trailer from their website. Wanted to check it out. So I downloaded it, then unzipped it, then clicked to try watch it. Got the message: " Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

The WoW Trailer was labeled as an AVI. Quicktime usually can't play AVIs, but normally Windows Media Player does. So I tried to open it with WMP. That didn't work, got the above message there. So I thought that it didn't work because I hadn't updated Windows Media Player lately. So I went online and downloaded WMP11. Installed it....tried to watch the video again. Still didn't work.

Okay whatever, guess I can't watch that trailer then...oh well.

Now later I'm at darkhorizons checking out trailers as usual. Saw "Blades of Glory" trailer...laughed. Then next day, friend comes over and I want him to show him the trailer. I click on it and now it says, "You don't have the latest version of Macromedia Flash Player." (and its now linked to IGN.com instead of Yahoo movies. but I wanna solve it because I got to ign.com a lot too).

So I guess I need to also update Macromedia Flash Player. No prob, I've done that before and been fine after installing latest version. So after installing latest version of that now....I go to try to watch trailer again. Still doesn't work. What the heck? Can't watch WMP and now macromedia flash stuff. Ugh.

Oh well, I'll figure it out later.

Okay, now a few hours later I'm looking up stuff at youtube.com and all that. New problem now....I can't watch anything there. I get that symbol which is the big "Q" for quicktime with the question mark on top of it. At first I thought that just the one video I was trying to watch was broken or take off youtube for whatever reason. Then I started clicking on stuff I was always normally able to watch...and they didn't work either. Then I started to click on anything and everything.....nothing was working.

Okay what the heck now?

How do I fix this? Any tips? Can't watch any videos. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I've had a similar sounding problem a while ago in that Macromedia Studio installation wrecked some of my file associations for playing videos.

Unfortunately some quick googling hasn't located the blog entry that helped me, but I would encourage you to google some of the specific error terms you see, and hopefully you'll find a solution to the problem.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
I have had teh exact same problem. It seems like Windows Media Player uninstalled a lot of basic codecs - I can't watch a lot of MPG's that I could watch a week ago. WM11 thinks they're audio files.

babomb

First Post
The WoW trailer didn't play because you didn't have the proper codec installed. IGN has it repackaged into several different formats, but the videos on the WoW site use the DivX codec.

The videos not working on IGN and youtube is the likely the result of a botched Flash installation. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but try uninstalling Flash and then reinstalling it.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases