Pathfinder 2E New or returning players: an “on-ramp”?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
New or returning players: an “on-ramp”?

I would be a returning player in this context. I see PF2 as an opportunity for me to check out the game again, and be in at the start. I’ve been a little overwhelmed and intimidated by the volume of lore and material for Pathfinder for years now.

Does anybody else see this as an on-ramp for them? A way to ease in without having to know about all those races and archetypes and stuff?

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
I only played Pathfinder once when it first came out. In this regard I consider myself a new player. A year before 5th Edition released I wanted to get in to it but the huge amount of books scared me off. So I see the new edition as an oportunity to dig in. Personally I like what little they have shown so far about the second edition.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Absolutely! And even more important to me, I am seeing a lot of new innovation that isn't just the same old ride around the haystack. And a lot of the older PF material will not be invalidated by world-shaking events. Which means there will be a ton of resources from the start. Plus all of those Adventure Paths are still viable. And those lovely pawns and map packs... I am so ready for this!

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I suppose you could think of it that way. I’m very interested in what I’ve seen so far of PF2, and I will be new to Pathfinder if I end up adopting it. But, I wouldn’t say that the supplement backlog was what kept me away. For me it’s more the changes to the core system that may end up serving as my on-ramp, more so than the promise of being able to keep up with the edition from its beginning.

Yup, I have a fair back catalogue of PF1 stuff, especially the APs. But it's a burn out to DM. I'll deff check this out with the beta and then the core books, maybe the first AP.

Gilladian

Adventurer
I love 3.5e, but Pathfinder was too gonzo. We play mostly E6, with few supplements. So I will actually be evaluating P2 in that regard. It may be better, it may not be worth the work.

Fildrigar

Explorer
I certainly view it as an onramp, and will be checking out the playtest.

When PF first launched, I had zero interest in it. I had just come out of running a four year campaign, and was sick to death of 3/3.5e. I was way more excited to check out 4e. ( 'Course, I was underwhelmed and disappointed by 4e, but what are you going to do. ) When 5e launched, I dove headfirst into it and have been enjoying it. I do miss some of the customization options from 3/3.5, so will go into PF2 with an open mind.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Does anybody else see this as an on-ramp for them? A way to ease in without having to know about all those races and archetypes and stuff?
For me, more of an “in-flight refueling maneuver.” PF1 has gotten super-clunky for me for the past couple of years, and I even tried to convince my die-hard PF group to give 5e a try when they started feeling the same way. This concept has rejuvenated them, and if PF2 plays as good as it sounds, I can live with it and it may cut back on all the house rules.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Theoretically, it could be, but nothing I have heard about the new edition makes it an attractive option on the market in terms of offering something different from what I already have: if I wanted another fantasy RPG, there are many alternatives that offer something different as an experience from D&D.

Seems more like an effective off-ramp for those invested in PF1.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases