D&D 5E New Unearthed Arcana Today: Giant Themed Class Options and Feats

A new Unearthed Arcana dropped today, focusing on giant-themed player options. "In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options related to the magic and majesty of giants. This playtest document presents the Path of the Giant barbarian subclass, the Circle of the Primeval druid subclass, the Runecrafter wizard subclass, and a collection of new feats, all for use in Dungeons & Dragons."

New Class options:
  • Barbarian: Path of the Giant
  • Druid: Circle of the Primeval
  • Wizard: Runecrafter Tradition
New Feats:
  • Elemental Touched
  • Ember of the Fire Giant
  • Fury of the Frost Giant
  • Guile of the Cloud Giant
  • Keeness of the Stone Giant
  • Outsized Might
  • Rune Carver Apprentice
  • Rune Carvwr Adept
  • Soul of the Storm Giant
  • Vigor of the Hill Giant
WotC's Jeremy Crawford talks Barbarian Path of the Giant here:

Last edited by a moderator:

darjr

I crit!
In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options related to the magic and majesty of giants. This playtest document presents the Path of the Giant barbarian subclass, the Circle of the Primeval druid subclass, the Runecrafter wizard subclass, and a collection of new feats, all for use in Dungeons & Dragons.

This Is Playtest Content

The material in Unearthed Arcana is presented for playtesting and to spark your imagination. These game mechanics are in draft form, usable in your D&D campaign but not refined by final game development. They are not officially part of the game. For these reasons, material in this column is not legal in D&D Adventurers League events.

Kurotowa

Legend
Did they slip up and the video went out before the UA got released? Because I'm not seeing it on the website, and there's no Discord channel alert.

Edit: Ah, just out as I type. Or not listed yet.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options related to the magic and majesty of giants. This playtest document presents the Path of the Giant barbarian subclass, the Circle of the Primeval druid subclass, the Runecrafter wizard subclass, and a collection of new feats, all for use in Dungeons & Dragons.

This Is Playtest Content

The material in Unearthed Arcana is presented for playtesting and to spark your imagination. These game mechanics are in draft form, usable in your D&D campaign but not refined by final game development. They are not officially part of the game. For these reasons, material in this column is not legal in D&D Adventurers League events.

Added to the OP, thanks!

Jer

Legend
Supporter
So - any speculation about the upcoming product that this is tied to? A 5e version of "Giantcraft" (like Fizban's is the 5e version of the Draconomicon) would probably be the most obvious guess. But are there any MtG worlds that are focused on giants and runes?

Are these the first level-locked feats we've seen in 5e?
I suspect that the negative reaction to feat chains is leading them to try to explore other options for keeping power levels in check across levels. Level requirements is a better choice than feat chains IMO.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Feats with level pre-reqs definitely solidifies that they're looking at feats as a major axis of character definition for the revision.
And I'm 100% cool with that approach. I'm a much bigger fan of gaining cross-class abilities (for example) piecemeal through feats than wholesale by multiclassing.

The giant themed feats look pretty cool, and I'm a fan of the flavor they bring. I wonder what product they're heralding, though.

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
So - any speculation about the upcoming product that this is tied to? A 5e version of "Giantcraft" (like Fizban's is the 5e version of the Draconomicon) would probably be the most obvious guess. But are there any MtG worlds that are focused on giants and runes?

I suspect that the negative reaction to feat chains is leading them to try to explore other options for keeping power levels in check across levels. Level requirements is a better choice than feat chains IMO.
Vecna?

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases