NEWS; Gunning down the Snyderverse UPDATE Cavill gets the Kryptonite handshake!

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
UPDATE
Henry Cavill has released a statement advising that “I will, after all, not be returning as Superman, After being told by the studio to announce my return back in October, prior to their hire, this news isn’t the easiest, but that’s life. The changing of the guard is something that happens. I respect that. James and Peter have a universe to build. I wish them and all involved with the new universe the best of luck, and the happiest of fortunes.”

ORIGINAL POST
In the first big bold move by the new boses at DC, Patty Jenkins has been told that her treatment for Wonder Woman 3 does not fit the new vision for the DC Universe. While its not an outright cut after the poor performance of WW2 and ongoing problems and financial blow outs at WB its looking unlikely that Jenkins or Gal Gadot will be back.

Moreover James Gunn and Pete Sanfran have promised that there will be only One DC Universe and many are expecting that means they’ll be wanting to clear out all the lingering remants of the Snyderverse and the looming shadow of Dwayne Johnsons Black Adam too. Breakdowns in negotiations with Henry Cavill are likely symptoms of that since The Rock has his fingers all over that Super pie.

Gunn and Safran said in a joint statement that they wanted to create an integrated, multilayered universe that still allows for the individual expression of the artists involved. Our commitment to Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Harley Quinn, and the rest of the DC stable of characters is only equalled by our commitment to the wonder of human possibility these characters represent.

Its rumoured that Gunn will be focussing on Amanda Waller as the lynchpin for the new DC Universe and that the One vision will go across all media including Animation.

so what do you’ll think? will Gunn be a new broom that renews and rebuilds the DC Cinematic presence or is it sign of ongoing doom…

Last edited:

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I think that this article has a great rundown, both of what is known and more importantly, what is unknown and speculation.

Briefly-

Almost everything is still in flux. Gunn and Safran have finished their initial brainstorming, but haven't (yet) presented the full plan to Zaslav.
That said, they (apparently) have already rejected the Jenkins treatment for WW3. So that, as currently constituted, is a no-go. That doesn't necessarily mean that Jenkins and/or Gadot are gone.

However, there is speculation that the entirety of the "Snyderverse" will be gone after the movies that are currently already done (and/or in advanced stages) are released. The possible exception might be re-casting Momoa as Lobo, but that's speculation.

In addition, there is also speculation (which I think seems well-founded) that the whole Rock/Cavill powerplay was not well taken, and that Black Adam is a dead end. In addition, a little nugget I found fascinating is The Flash (originally set to be released March 23, 2018, and now set for June 16, 2023) is an "unlocked picture" and that there are still internal debates about cutting and editing out parts of it.

Which ... I mean .... you can't make that up.

Thank goodness. It is about time they take a broom to the nonsense that was the Snyderverse.
Nothing against the actors but seriously those movies were rubbish for a number of reasons and for that you need the change to be at the top (directors and writers)
Personally, they should do a clean sweep and start over, either through The Flash introducing the new universe or just begin there and ignore the past.

What a mess. These studios maybe are realizing that after Covid there is little appetite for bad movies. Ww1 and 2 were not good-awful. Suicide squad movies are just ok
Studios need to follow the top gun maverick style movie. Likeable characters, good plot plus good action
Lately it’s terrible plots(latest Jurassic) or movies that the special effects story are not worth the price of admission and should be direct to video (beast with idris Elba) or you have black Adam /Thor latest which is 2 predictable and filled with boring villains

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Argh!!!!

I really like Cavill and Gadot in those roles, and I think more Black Adam appearances could take better advantage of Johnson's strengths.

Also, on the one hand, I dislike Snyder's sensibilities (other than visual stuff), so good riddance, but on the other I dislike some of Gunn's, too, so...[shrugs]
But, we're more likely to get fun movies with Gunn, so I'm curious to see what his more tightly woven-together DCCU looks like.

aco175

Legend
Would the Flash movie open things with another universe like what Marvel did with alternate Earths. This way you can start over and call it another reality or Earth?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I'm more of a Marvel person in the comics and films, mostly because the characters are generally more grounded, and the movies aren't bleak dystopias where the super-"heroes" wouldn't know how to be a superhero if a kid in a towel-cape showed them. Here's to hoping Gunn's version of the DCU will be more four color and less murderers with powers.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I'm more of a Marvel person in the comics and films, mostly because the characters are generally more grounded, and the movies aren't bleak dystopias where the super-"heroes" wouldn't know how to be a superhero if a kid in a towel-cape showed them. Here's to hoping Gunn's version of the DCU will be more four color and less murderers with powers.
Have you seen his Suicide Squad movie? That is a movie that finds every opportunity to kill people in horrible ways, mostly at the hands of Squad members. I know, I know - they're not "heroes". But...yeesh. And his Guardians of the Galaxy movies enjoy at least one good brutal kill-fest per movie.

Remove ads