5E (OOC) Fitz's Folly (Full)

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
Everyone seems to know who she is...can someone enlighten me?
I could be wrong, but I think only Kahless knows. Because of that, I was a little generous with his history check, so Dellrak does too. I would sau that the Tabasco have no chance at all, except what they smell. Everyone is getting the impression that she might not be someone to mess with, which is good.

If you want to know, I'll tell you when we move on.

Neurotic

Adventurer
Eh, I just meant everyone is so careful not to disturb her. Sure, high level wizard / caster can be dangerous. But in a small space with all of us?? Dead in the first round. Assuming it isn't already dead as indicated by the smell :)

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
I guess it depends on <how high> level of caster... Also, maybe Gamers aren't too scared of Wizards because of what you described (knowing that they have low HP), but I find usually Characters are pretty wary. I mean, imagine it. Who would want to be fireballed? It would be HORRIBLE. Only a gamer would think, "I've got enough HP to live!" and be OKAY with that. I like my hair and skin, thanks!

Neurotic

Adventurer
I guess it depends on <how high> level of caster... Also, maybe Gamers aren't too scared of Wizards because of what you described (knowing that they have low HP), but I find usually Characters are pretty wary. I mean, imagine it. Who would want to be fireballed? It would be HORRIBLE. Only a gamer would think, "I've got enough HP to live!" and be OKAY with that. I like my hair and skin, thanks!
Nope...I believe in my fur too. It's just that by that same token you wouldn't ever fight kobolds, goblins and on the other hand of the spectrum liches, dragons...

And yet, we do. And dropping fireball in a small area containing yourself isn't the optimal use of spells. If I was such a mage, I'd go with charm/confusion/hypnotic pattern or invisibility/fly and THEN fireball after I'm out of the confinement.

Not that I'm giving the ideas :D

gargoyleking

Explorer
Nope...I believe in my fur too. It's just that by that same token you wouldn't ever fight kobolds, goblins and on the other hand of the spectrum liches, dragons...

And yet, we do. And dropping fireball in a small area containing yourself isn't the optimal use of spells. If I was such a mage, I'd go with charm/confusion/hypnotic pattern or invisibility/fly and THEN fireball after I'm out of the confinement.

Not that I'm giving the ideas :D
I was in one game where we ran across some mad wizard who buffed his defenses out the wazoo and then pulled out a wand of fireballs and started dropping them right on top of himself over and over again. Nearly killed somenof our casters until I smashed it with an adamantine warhammer. This was back in 3.5 though, and I bet he was rocking Prot from Fire. Still...

KahlessNestor

Explorer
I'll let you know who Valindra is later, if we survive ;) I'm trying to recall if she's shown up in any other 5e modules, but I don't think so.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
On the other hand, 5e PCs can be really resilient sometimes. We had a party with a cleric, a paladin, a warlock and 2 monks, intervening in a battle where they wanted to protect a wizard under attack, but didn't bother declaring their intentions - so they got a fireball to the face.

With the monk's dodging abilities and the paladin's aura of protection AND damage reduction (order of the ancient), the worse that happened to any particular PC was taking 7 hp of damage.

5e fireballs hurt about as bad as 2nd ed fireball, but are far less feared...

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
I just meant that the Sticks are understandably cautious here, not that they are unwilling to fight her nor that she would necessarily drop a fireball inside the Heart. My point was that the other players are not acting on knowing who she is, and are also not acting on knowing that usually a party can stomp a lone spellcaster.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I have a confession to make.

I'm a scientist, and I can be very critical of things. There are so many things in games, in campaigns, that don't make sense. Scales are wrongs, distances are wrong, price lists are wrong... and really I've learned that I have ot let go of a lot of things in an RPG because otherwise it can ruin my fun.

So when previously it was stated that we could see things 60, 100 miles away I just rolled my eyes and assumed you didn't understand how vision on a spherical world worked.

But no! It was A CLUE! :D :D :D :D :D :D

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
You'd probably be surprised by how much research I do to run games. I'm constantly looking things up from lore to real-world science.

My parents had a sailboat when I was a kid, but my real knowledge of wooden ships comes from years of research done for a nautical supplement I made for an RPG.

I make mistakes, sure, a lot of them, but not for lack of trying!

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
You'd probably be surprised by how much research I do to run games. I'm constantly looking things up from lore to real-world science.

My parents had a sailboat when I was a kid, but my real knowledge of wooden ships comes from years of research done for a nautical supplement I made for an RPG.

I make mistakes, sure, a lot of them, but not for lack of trying!
Yeah... I did a fair amount of research in ships too. I'm annoyed how "hand wavey" people are when it comes to ships and logistics. But it's quite complicated! Maybe hand waving is necessary.

And no matter how much research we do, we still get things wrong.

Anyway, this will blow your mind, ship weaponry wise :D

This is a legitimate, real world multibarrel multi-barrel machine gun, used on ships!

Advertisement