(OOC) Fitz's Folly (ToA PBP)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Oh, I should mention, we spoke of auditing the arrows, but we also should say a few words on the food supplies. I figured that between Hup'lo, Kasqa, Dellrak, and Qawasha, there was enough trapping/foraging to go around (and the three Tabaxi could probably take care of themselves). But if you've had rations on your sheet since the beginning, there's no way that any of it is still good. Also, you've now got five more mouths to feed, and you spent three days in the air (where no one could do any hunting/foraging. It was also pretty dangerous on the ground under the crash site, so during the repair job you would have had a net-loss of rations. The crew had nothing but water (collected in sail-cloth).

All of this is to say, food supplies are LOW overall, and Dellrak might not have 30 berries at the moment, because you may have needed to supplement your diet with them. The party has 17 mouths to feed (Weed just needs water and sunlight).

@KahlessNestor I'll say roll 3d10, and that's how many berries you have left (roll high!)

Again, I don't care if we track things perfectly, but let's remember that the ship's food supplies are LOW and the crew don't want to go hungry again anytime soon!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Feels silly making these rolls myself. Feel free to make the relevant rolls where they make sense for you, or call for it if you prefer.

I tend to leave rolls up to players as much as possible, (I never quite understand the mentality that a bad roll is a bad thing - I try to make low skill-rolls as fun as possible - accidents produce drama!) but I understand that there's a lot of history to the 'secret roll'. I guess I can be unusual that way - I've never used a DM's screen in my life, for example. But you're right, generally in PBP if I don't see a roll, I'll just do it myself rather than waste time waiting for it. It's no big deal either way.

gargoyleking

Adventurer
I've been coming around to the idea of secret rolls since I've started DMing. Good or bad rolls with results one way or another can altar the way people play out a situation regardless of what does or doesn't happen.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I've been coming around to the idea of secret rolls since I've started DMing. Good or bad rolls with results one way or another can altar the way people play out a situation regardless of what does or doesn't happen.

A long time ago I had a player whine when I rolled badly for them (one of those "you don't see anything because I rolled bad" situations, or something) so I stopped rolling for players.

I created an RPG called "Rampant Griffon Gaming System (RGGS)" many years ago, which we played for about 12 years. In RGGS everyone rolled their own checks and narrated the results, with the number idea being that your character was immensely competent, so in RGGS a bad roll meant that an outside force made the situation more difficult. Unless the player wanted it that way, their character NEVER screwed up. You would narrate what made the situation more difficult. For example, you would never "miss" an orc in an attack. The orc would slam your attack aside, rattling your arm, and spit in your face. Opponents always felt formidable, you never felt like a fool, no matter how bad you were rolling.

... I think it coloured the way I run D&D. (Of course, I invented that game, so maybe I always felt that way...)

Remove ads