[OT] Any opinions Terry Goodkind's SWORD of TRUTH series??

Mr. Grimm

First Post
I recently came across the latest book in The Sword of Truth series (Pillars of something or other) and read a few pages before realizing it was the latest in a long series. I was wondering if anyone can recommend for or against reading the books. Also can anyone can tell me if the series will ever be finished? I don't mind reading a long series, I just would like to get to the end before I forget what happened in all of the previous books or the author dying. Just so you know I prefer my fantasy dark and, well... grim.

Asmo

First Post
Re:[OT] Any opinions Terry Goodkind's SWORD of TRUTH series??

I think it´s absolutely brilliant.
Easily among top 10, maybe even top 5.
Great characters, believable and real. Each book is like a huge campain that you never want to end, so you can start in any book and fully enjoy the story and the characters, but I do recommend that you start from the beginning with "Wizards first rule", wich is a truly amazing book.
It´s addictive, like a good fantasy read should be.
It´s only Robin Hobb that writes better fantysy today, imho.
Asmo

I personally found Sword of Truth to be some of the most abysmal, derivative work around. I think "Jordan on S&M" was a pretty good description, but more than that it absoluely drove me nuts that characters just magically could figure things out without any possible information that would lead them to the conclusions they arrived at.

Overall it was less horrible to me than Tad William's Dragonbone Chair (which I coudn't even finish), but not nearly good enough to even keep the paperback copy I bought.

TW

First Post
Loved the first one.. the first time I read it. Over time the S&M went over the top for what it needed to be. Add to that the fact that the main male character gets overly sensitive and I could not stomach it to read a second time. So check it out from your library if you can.. enjoy it.. and forget it.

Dundragon

First Post
Actually, I have heard many good things about it, but I did not enjoy Wizard's First Rule enough to continue with the series. The world that Goodkind created seems unrealistic to me... kind of like a conglomeration of bad fantasy cliches (but then again, in some fantasy sub-genres I don't mind the cliches at all). I don't want to discourage you from reading it, but be warned that it is full of sadomasochism.

Wild Karrde

First Post
I'm surprised at some of the comments about the sword of truth series by Goodkind. In my oppinion it's the best fantasy series out there behind George R. R. Martin's a Song of Fire and Ice.

I read all of Robert Jordans' stuff as well, but let's face it he can be major snoozeville sometimes. I enjoy the pacing of Goodkind's books much more than Jordans. And as far as someone saying the Sword of Truth series is like the Wheel of Time, I don't see how you can draw that comparison at all. They are nothing alike.

If nothing else just read them to learn the various Wizard's rules. Those are great in and of themselves.

Agnostic Paladin

First Post
The Sword of Truth and Wheel of Time series started out around the same time, and there are an unbelievable number of parrallels between the two worlds. There is more gratuitous sex in the Sword of Truth books than in the Wheel of Time books, but there's also something actually going on most of the time. Goodkind's writing is much better than Jordan's, but still not awe inspiring. More and more though I feel like Goodkind's books are thinly-veiled political rants. The "communism is evil and bad for everyone" theme of the last one really distracted me from the otherwise interesting story.

ninjajester

First Post
i recommend them. i like the main character, if only for the fact that he does what's right. he doesn't really have a hidden agenda or code he follows other than basic human decency. each book is fairly self contained, so you can stop at the end of any book and feel satisfied with the ending, while still waiting for the next. s&m? yes, it has it. but the whole culture it's based on i found really interesting... probably your best bet is to check out wizard's first rule from a library and read it. if you like it, chances are you'll like the rest of the series.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases