Paladin-Mount Feats

Artoomis

First Post
In another thread in the Rules forum, I was looking for ways for my mount to better survive, and the idea of feats to improve the mount came up.

I really like the idea, so here's a start.

Share Divine Grace [Divine]

Prerequisite: Special Mount, Divine Grace

Benefit: In addition to getting the paladins's base saves if higher than his own, the mount shares the paladin's Divine Grace benefit of the paladin's charisma bonus to all saving throws, or the mounts charisma bonus, whichever is higher.

Normal: The mount gets his own base saving throws or the paladin's, whichever is higher.

Enlarge Mount.

Prerequisite: Share Divine Grace

Benefit: The mount gains two additional bonus hit dice - but the hit dice total may nopt exceed the paladin's level - 2

Normal - The mount gets bonus hit dice per the paldin's level and the mount improvement table.

Quicken Mount:

Prerequisite: Special Mount (as paladin)

Benefit: The mount gains +10 speed

A few other possibilities:

Empower Mount.
Silent Mount.
Heighten Mount.

You get the idea. Hiw about some refinement and ideas of your own?

Thanks.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
More Metamount Feats

You get the idea. Hiw about some refinement and ideas of your own?

Twin Mount : two for the price of one!

Eschew Mount : to get the most out of that Spirited Charge feat in your dungeon crawls.

Reach Mount : polymorphs your horse into a giraffe.

Persistent Mount : polymorphs your horse into a Dire Energizer Bunny.

Maximize Mount : temporarily has maximum hit points per hit die.

Delay Mount : ... actually, that's a bit like Still Mount. Not one you'd really want to take.

-Hyp.

graydoom

First Post
Re: More Metamount Feats

Hypersmurf said:
Twin Mount : two for the price of one!

Eschew Mount : to get the most out of that Spirited Charge feat in your dungeon crawls.

Reach Mount : polymorphs your horse into a giraffe.

Persistent Mount : polymorphs your horse into a Dire Energizer Bunny.

Maximize Mount : temporarily has maximum hit points per hit die.

Delay Mount : ... actually, that's a bit like Still Mount. Not one you'd really want to take.

-Hyp.
LOL! Don't forget extend mount!

Cabral

First Post
I think extend mount belongs in the Guide to Unlawful Carnal Knowledge ... ;)

More seriously, Check out a copy of Star Wars, and/or Dragonstar for their vehicle feats.

Jared A. Sorensen

First Post
Fire! Fire!

Ooo! I just thought of a cool feat for Paladin mounts.

Not sure what to call it, but it's the ability for your mount to jump over and charge through burning stuff...you know, that scene in every adventure movie where the horse jumps over the flames?

Hmmm...ideas?

(maybe call it something like, Spurred Charge?

Wolf72

Explorer
Re: Re: More Metamount Feats

graydoom said:

LOL! Don't forget extend mount!

man asks for help and this is what he gets! :)

yeah, back to the tom-foolery (sp) ... doesn't a male mount get extend for free?

Artoomis

First Post
Re: Fire! Fire!

Jared A. Sorensen said:
Ooo! I just thought of a cool feat for Paladin mounts.

Not sure what to call it, but it's the ability for your mount to jump over and charge through burning stuff...you know, that scene in every adventure movie where the horse jumps over the flames?

Hmmm...ideas?

(maybe call it something like, Spurred Charge?

Sounds cool, but not needed as the paladin's mount is intelligent and will go through the fire if asked - and the control over the mount is unusual because of the mental link.

EDIT:Typo - sheesh.

Last edited:

Artoomis

First Post
Okay, this has all been very fun, but I am actually looking for feat suggestions.

My focus is mount survival, and the main weakness is saving throws, adn anything that can help saving throws. Since the mount gains no feats, they should be feats that work on the paladin/mount connection.

Some possible effects:

Share Divine Grace

Mount gets better - get an extra hit die (or two) - more hit points, attack and save boinuses.

Gain ability for mount to have feats and/or skills as if it were a "standard" magical beast" (though, frankly, I think they should by the rules, by my DM and the Sage (so far) disagree, so there you have it).

Direct save bonuses - like Iron Will, etc.

Cabral

First Post
Actually, the best feat for improving a mount's survival is Mounted Combat: Ride Skill + 1d20 becomes your Mount's AC for one attack per round if it is higher than your mount's normal AC. Skill Focus (Ride) and Saddleback (Forgotten Realms) would then add to your mount's AC for that attack, as would a military saddle. House ruling the Share Spells special ability to allow the Paladin to share the effects of Divine feats and Lay on Hands (Paladin heals self for 20 hp and could opt to heal the mount for the same for no additional cost :D) would also help.

For new feats, my suggestion is to build off Mounted Combat.
Mounted Combat Mastery [General]
Prerequisite: Ride Skill, Mounted Combat, Combat Reflexes
Benefit:When your mount is hit in combat, you may attempt to negate the hit as per Mounted Combat, but you may attempt to negate a number of hits per round equal to 1 plus your Dex bonus.
Normal:A character with the Mounted Combat Feat may only attempt to negate one attack per round.

Rally Mount [General]
Prerequisite: Ride Skill, Mounted Combat, Leadership
Benefit:When your mount is affected by a spell or effect with a noninstantaneous duration that requires a Will Save, you may use a standard action make a ride check modified by your Charisma, instead of Dexterity to attempt to dispell the effect. The DC for the Ride check is equal to the DC of the spell or effect plus the amount by which the mount failed its save by.

By the way, I House Rule that since Special Mounts and Familiars are magical beasts, their Base Attacks, Saves, and Hit Die are based of Magical Beasts, not animals.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases