D&D 5E Party Make Up- What to play?

eafsaf2015

First Post
Sorry in advance if this isn't the place for this post but I am looking to optimize my group based on what I should play.

Current make up: Level 6

Human Fighter (Battlemaster)
High Elf Ranger/Rogue
Human Paladin (Not sure what Oath)
Wood Elf Druid (Feral)
Human Cleric (Life)
Halfling Wizard (Evocation)

I am currently playing a Lore Bard and I hate it, not the class for me.

I am thinking Fighter Archer build right or another melee character. I don't want to play a caster so if that helps you guys with your advice/guidance I appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

mellored

Legend
Archer fighter would work. There's no skill gaps in the party, and another melee might be too much for small rooms. More damage is a good way to go.

Crossbow expertise and sharpshooter on a battlemaster with precision strike, menacing strike, and trip work very well. Then boost Dex at level 8 and 12.

pdegan2814

First Post
Assuming the Battlemaster currently in the group isn't already an archer, then yeah an archer would probably be a good fit. I'm also guessing the Cleric & Paladin aren't ranged weapon attackers, just by the law of averages. The Ranger/Rogue could be either, since he's certainly Dex-focused. With the party you've got now, you could go Fighter or straight Rogue, depending on how deep into Rogue that Ranger is going. With that many party members attacking in melee and standing next to your targets, setting up your Sneak Attacks shouldn't be too difficult, and they work for an archer just as well as a blade-wielder. Or heck, do what I did and play a Fighter/Rogue. I'm having fun with it so far. :)

Herobizkit

Adventurer
It seems like your party is extremely damage-focused, and with such a large party, I can see why you feel LoreBard might fail by comparison.

Would your DM let you switch to Valorbard instead? They have all of the Bard goodness with martial weapons (and two attacks at level 5), med armor and shields instead of spell focus. You could easily make him an archer/off-tank/whatever you want and still have 'niche protection'.

mellored

Legend
It seems like your party is extremely damage-focused, and with such a large party, I can see why you feel LoreBard might fail by comparison.
Lore bard is a good fit for the party. They have enough damage and could use more control/support.

But it doesn't fit the player.

Remove ads