Pathfinder miniatures ... are folks using these much?

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Hi,

Title says it all. Are folks using the pathfinder miniatures? I'm getting a mixed read on the strength of the line. There is a good pipeline of figures, and a decent miniature quality. However, the prices remain high, and the miniatures don't seem to be generally available in local hobby stores. (I'm near Raleigh, NC.)

Myself, I have bought some, but no-where near as many as I bought for the D&D miniatures line. Mostly, I have reached a point of saturation. I'd buy more if I didn't already have a large collection.

Are other folks buying these? What is folk's views on these miniatures?

Thx!

TomB

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I've picked up a few...but I have pretty good minis brand availability in D/FW, and already have thousands of minis.

Crothian

First Post
No, while they look good and have some cool figures they are just too much and the randomness makes it tough to just buy what I want. With the other options out there especially with what Reaper is doing with those Kickstarters I haven't picked up any of the Pathfinder minis.

NewJeffCT

First Post
I've bought several boosters of them and think they're good quality in terms of sculpt and paint jobs. Some of them seem pretty hard to use beyond the specific adventure path where they appear, though (Alchemical Golem?? Sorry, I've never used one in any D&D game before since the late 70s and never encountered one, either.)

My big problem with them they seem very easy to break off of their bases - I've bought packages where a miniature is already broken off at the ankles or wingtips upon opening the package. When I first started buying them, they were also very hard to get out of the plastic and I mistakenly snapped some off the bases taking them out. I have a few thousand miniatures at home, including several full Warhammer fantasy armies, as well as Reaper, Rackham, Fenryll, etc, and this has maybe happened to me maybe twice with all the other miniatures I've accumulated over the years. Heck, I assembled WH plastic miniatures, shipped them to Sri Lanka or China for painting, and then had them shipped back to me with nary a problem. (still surprised that the dwarf gyrocopter made it without incident.)

So, while I think the paint jobs and sculpts are better, I actually prefer the D&D miniatures because they're more durable.

dogoftheunderworld

Adventurer
Supporter
I've bought some. A full case of Rise of the Runelords, since we were going to be running that adventure. The rest, mostly singles from secondary market (or from Paizo direct). Like others here, I have a substantial WotC plastic collection, and now with the Reaper Bones, my "general" collection is pretty complete. I still keep an eye out for unique monsters and N/PCs.

But, somebody must be buying them :) Maybe it is the general popularity of Pathfinder driving it. I would love to hear that it is new gamers getting into things, but it may just be collectors, purists, etc. driving the market (or fearful that it may dry up, like WotCs did).

I do have access to them in FLGS here. The quality of sculpt and paint are excellent. I have no had any issues with broken figures, but I have heard that it is an issue for many.

Game on!

Dog Moon

Adventurer
I bought a couple of random packs and the original set of Pathfinder Heroes, but beyond that I haven't. I had thought about it originally, but I already have plenty from WotC, the prices are higher... and I became unemployed, which hurt me financially.

I've actually been thinking about trying to sell my collection, though I honestly have no idea how much I could get for what I have.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
I've bought several boosters of them and think they're good quality in terms of sculpt and paint jobs. Some of them seem pretty hard to use beyond the specific adventure path where they appear, though (Alchemical Golem?? Sorry, I've never used one in any D&D game before since the late 70s and never encountered one, either.)

My big problem with them they seem very easy to break off of their bases - I've bought packages where a miniature is already broken off at the ankles or wingtips upon opening the package. When I first started buying them, they were also very hard to get out of the plastic and I mistakenly snapped some off the bases taking them out. I have a few thousand miniatures at home, including several full Warhammer fantasy armies, as well as Reaper, Rackham, Fenryll, etc, and this has maybe happened to me maybe twice with all the other miniatures I've accumulated over the years. Heck, I assembled WH plastic miniatures, shipped them to Sri Lanka or China for painting, and then had them shipped back to me with nary a problem. (still surprised that the dwarf gyrocopter made it without incident.)

So, while I think the paint jobs and sculpts are better, I actually prefer the D&D miniatures because they're more durable.

I've had similar problems. On just a few, but still. The plastic seems to be a bit brittle. And, I'm not real happy about the amount of waste plastic in the packaging.

Of the figures I've gotten, the goblins and general undead (zombies and skellies) have gotten the most use. The ettin and ogres are pretty usable, too.

I do keep my eye out for singles.

Thx!

TomB

NewJeffCT

First Post
I've had similar problems. On just a few, but still. The plastic seems to be a bit brittle. And, I'm not real happy about the amount of waste plastic in the packaging.

Of the figures I've gotten, the goblins and general undead (zombies and skellies) have gotten the most use. The ettin and ogres are pretty usable, too.

I do keep my eye out for singles.

Thx!

TomB

Agreed, it does seem like a lot of plastic, too. And, it's only been on a minority of the miniatures that they've broken, but it's a significant enough amount that I've noticed.

If you want singles, I'd suggest going to eBay, or online gaming stores like Troll & Toad. Several years back, I created a "zombie apocalypse" scenario with a bunch of D&D singles I bought off of eBay in bunches of 10-15 (strahd zombie for females, orcs, hobgoblins, chillborn, etc)

Dice4Hire

First Post
I have bought some of them, but all as singles. The first set was way too cartoony for my taste, but the second and third sets were nice. I really liked the last one, the pirate themed set and bought quite a bit form it. I did have two broken pieces though, one the giant wasp (the base snapped) and one other figure who broke off the base. The wasp is gonna be a bit challenging to repair, but the second was easily glued back on.

I am not too sure about the next set, it seems weird and most of it is not interesting to me at all.

Overall they are up to DDDM standards, but a bit more brittle. I'll have to be a bit more careful.

NewJeffCT

First Post
I have bought some of them, but all as singles. The first set was way too cartoony for my taste, but the second and third sets were nice. I really liked the last one, the pirate themed set and bought quite a bit form it. I did have two broken pieces though, one the giant wasp (the base snapped) and one other figure who broke off the base. The wasp is gonna be a bit challenging to repair, but the second was easily glued back on.

I am not too sure about the next set, it seems weird and most of it is not interesting to me at all.

Overall they are up to DDDM standards, but a bit more brittle. I'll have to be a bit more careful.

I liked the Skull & Shackles set as well - a lot of the pirate miniatures could be used as swashbuckling PCs or NPCs in addition to being pirates or bad guys. While it's nice to have some unique miniatures (Balor, Pit Fiend, Marilith, etc) I prefer ones I can use multiple times in different campaigns.

What is the next set after Skull & Shackles?

Remove ads