Patreon fires their security team, maybe.

Dausuul

Legend
Oh for the love of... first that stupid blockchain business and now this.

Might be time to start looking at other ways to support artists. Dang it.

Ryujin

Legend
Oh for the love of... first that stupid blockchain business and now this.

Might be time to start looking at other ways to support artists. Dang it.
Well first it was bringing in venture capitalists, who demanded instant returns on investment. Then the new billing structure to appease those investors, that penalized people who supported a large number of artists with a small amount each, which was thankfully rolled back. Then it was blockchain. A lot of people have left. Others are finding (or in a few cases making) alternatives.

Staffan

Legend
Well first it was bringing in venture capitalists, who demanded instant returns on investment. Then the new billing structure to appease those investors, that penalized people who supported a large number of artists with a small amount each, which was thankfully rolled back. Then it was blockchain. A lot of people have left. Others are finding (or in a few cases making) alternatives.
It would be neat if the Vlogbrothers rebooted their Subbable service, which was basically a proto-Patreon until something happened with their payment processor and they decided it was easier to sell to/merge with Patreon than fixing it. Though I have no idea how big a service Patreon is compared to Complexly.

Ryujin

Legend
It would be neat if the Vlogbrothers rebooted their Subbable service, which was basically a proto-Patreon until something happened with their payment processor and they decided it was easier to sell to/merge with Patreon than fixing it. Though I have no idea how big a service Patreon is compared to Complexly.
Zombie Orpheus Entertainment did something called "Phase 2", which was a proto-Patreon for people who followed their work. They migrated to Patreon as a cost cutting measure but when that started to look like a bad move (the venture capital thing), they and other indie production houses started development of The Fantasy Network. It's up and running, and helping to supply support for creators.

There's also an alternative that Kickstarter was developing, but the name slips my memory at the moment.

Remove ads