Pitch me basic Marvel comics for middle school library

EricNoah

Adventurer
I feel like I have a good bead on DC comics, but I would like to add 8-12 titles to a middle school library collection from Marvel. Let's say Avengers and X-Men - I don't really know where to start with these. Please pitch me a few titles that are recent or a series that has started or rebooted recently.

AuroraGyps

First Post
I have to say I really enjoyed Spider Girl when it came out. You might also want to look at Runaways. I know neither are The Avengers or X-Men, but they're about teens and pretty good.

Prickly

First Post
Ultimate Spider-man by Bendis and bagley is a really good introduction to comics and is fun and well written.

Joss whedon's Astonishing X-Men run is also very good.

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
are you talking graphic novel "reprints" or actual comic books.

I would think the graphic novels would be better for a school, as they are more durable.

I liked the Ultimate Avengers and Ultimate X-Men, but they might be a bit more "adult" than the original comics for kids in a school (mixed audience whose parents might not appreciate their kid seeing that Wolverine had been in bed with Jean Grey)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
The "Essential" collections (Essential Avengers, Essential X-Men, Essential Fantastic Four, etc) might be worth looking into. They don't have the more durable glossy paper pages, but they do have excellent coverage and reasonably decent value.

Marvel Visionaries series are worth looking into as well. There are ones focusing on John Byrne's run in the Fantastic Four, Neal Adams for the X-Men, Chris Claremont for the X-Men, Roy Thomas for the Avengers, and plenty more. These are among my favorites because they really do focus on excellence in execution - whether in writing or in art.

HobbitFan

Explorer
One word of warning. The Ultimate line of comics aren't (to me) appropriate reading for middle-school age kids.

I do second the suggestion of the Essential and Visionary collections.

Prickly

First Post
I would agree that some of the ultimate line is not really appropriate, and I find the Ultimates comic very unpleasant to read, but Ultimate Spider-Man in particular is an ideal comic for young teenagers.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
You may want to look into collections of the now-cancelled all-ages line Marvel Adventures. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Adventures
Most of these are not 'kiddified' in any way, just without the blood, violence and adult themes some other titles might have.
You might want to look at the new Nova series with 15-year-old Sam Alexanader as Nova: Nova Vols 1&2 are out.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases