Polearm Master Fighter Multiclassing Help

marbliss

First Post
Hi all! Newbie here :D
The character I'm currently playing is a level 6 Variant Human Fighter (2 handed Great weapon fighting Battlemaster) who has taken feats of Polearm Master at level 1, Sentinel (bonus from DM) and ASI for level 4 &6
Ability Scores are:
STR 20
DEX 16
CON 16
INT 10
WIS 13
CHA 12

I'm at a crossroads as I have only limited melee capabilities and no ranged attack options, no healing capabilities, and all I do is poke things on the battle field. Recently I felt rather useless at the final encounter with the BBEG and the party ended up abandoning the dungeon. So it's either rolling up a more versatile character or finding some way of making this character work. For ranged attack I think spells are probably the better way to go rather than me picking up a bow at this point.

The rest of the party include paladin, fighter/wizard, cleric life domain, monk, ranger/bard

The options I've looked into include:

# Multiclassing into cleric. Unsure about domains. War, Tempest, Order, and Protection all may work. Her chosen deity is Bahamut, and she is from a noble background who has recently being knighted. Her homeland borders a country of evil beings and in the most recent campaign she has prevented her homeland from being invaded.
However! I've read a lot about how dipping into cleric is a waste and pointless in this case for various reasons. Alas, the WIS is also low. For RP purposes, and thematically, Order and Protection domains make more sense but I've not read much about how well these would fit into the mechanics of the character build. These domains may not even be allowed by my DM - unless I can make a good case.

The reason for basically leaning towards cleric is because of Shield of faith (to compensate for my relative low AC 19 - no shield), the ability to heal self and others (utility. Although I do have a ring of regeneration), and spiritual weapon/guardian (at the cost of the PAM bonus attack which is only a 1d4 anyway) eventually.

(I would not consider dipping into Barb, Ranger or Rogue as viable options for RP reasons. Paladin wouldn't work with the ASI distribution. We have another Fighter/Wizard in the party so I'm hoping not to double up. DM does not allow Sorcerer or Warlock classes)

My question with multiclassing are:
  • How many classes to take with Cleric? Should I just drop Fighter from now on and carry on with Cleric?
  • Which domains would most compliment 1) the current fighter build/background 2) the rest of the party

# Picking up Magic initiate (would have to be Wizard), War caster and Spell sniper at level 8, 12 and 14
The idea is to have booming blade or green flame blade. But the problem with this is getting to level 14 first before these spells have any actual use. Plus, also giving up 3 levels of ASI which may be detrimental to overall fighter build.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

BacchusNL

Explorer
What makes you think Bow's are not an option? You have a 16 dex and extra attack. Meanwhile as a cleric with 13 wisdom your spell hit/ DC/ spells known wil be abysmal.

My advice would be to pick up a bow to sort out your ranged issues and get the Great Weapon Master feat at level 8 to increase your damage by a ton and make sure you have the Trip + Precision maneuver.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Hi all! Newbie here :D
The character I'm currently playing is a level 6 Variant Human Fighter (2 handed Great weapon fighting Battlemaster) who has taken feats of Polearm Master at level 1, Sentinel (bonus from DM) and ASI for level 4 &6
Ability Scores are:
STR 20
DEX 16
CON 16
INT 10
WIS 13
CHA 12

I'm at a crossroads as I have only limited melee capabilities and no ranged attack options, no healing capabilities, and all I do is poke things on the battle field.

You using a bow still is more damage than a wizard using a firebolt.
If you are worried about healing then buy a few healing potions.

Recently I felt rather useless at the final encounter with the BBEG and the party ended up abandoning the dungeon.

I'm assuming this is because of inability to close on the bbeg. If you felt useless I imagine it was because of a lack of mobility in some way. Thus, the best solution is to find a way to shore up your lack of mobility or ranged combat prowess or to find a way for an effective ranged attack.

S
o it's either rolling up a more versatile character or finding some way of making this character work. For ranged attack I think spells are probably the better way to go rather than me picking up a bow at this point.

The only spells you should be thinking about are buffs and debuffs. Your spell DC's are just to low to think about anything else being effectice

The rest of the party include paladin, fighter/wizard, cleric life domain, monk, ranger/bard

Your party has plenty of healing. I wouldn't worry about healing

The options I've looked into include:

# Multiclassing into cleric. Unsure about domains. War, Tempest, Order, and Protection all may work. Her chosen deity is Bahamut, and she is from a noble background who has recently being knighted. Her homeland borders a country of evil beings and in the most recent campaign she has prevented her homeland from being invaded.
However! I've read a lot about how dipping into cleric is a waste and pointless in this case for various reasons. Alas, the WIS is also low. For RP purposes, and thematically, Order and Protection domains make more sense but I've not read much about how well these would fit into the mechanics of the character build. These domains may not even be allowed by my DM - unless I can make a good case.

For your cleric and your needs I'd suggest a 1-2 level dip into war domain. That really should get you everything you need. Goal is to shore up ranged combat. Bless and Divine Favor will be your go to spells to help your ranged combat.

It's Class ability War Priest also gives you Wis mod bonus action attacks which will be helpful for when you pull out your bow. If you go 2 levels you get the ability to get +10 on any attack. Very helpful especially if you eventually get Great Weapon Master feat.

The only 2nd level spell I see I'd be interested in for combat is magical weapon if you don't find a magical bow.

The only 3rd level spell i'd be interested in for combat is spirit guardians - but with your low wis i'd avoid it. It's biggest benefit for you will be the ability it has to slow enemies you get near. I'm not sure you really need it though as you've shored up your ranged combat enough with most likely 1-2 levels of war cleric.

After that i'd switch back to fighter and either increase dex or pick up Great Weapon Master feat.

The reason for basically leaning towards cleric is because of Shield of faith (to compensate for my relative low AC 19 - no shield), the ability to heal self and others (utility. Although I do have a ring of regeneration), and spiritual weapon/guardian (at the cost of the PAM bonus attack which is only a 1d4 anyway) eventually.

If your goal for multiclassing is to shore up effectiveness due to lack of mobility/lack of ranged combat then shield of faith makes no sense.

(I would not consider dipping into Barb, Ranger or Rogue as viable options for RP reasons. Paladin wouldn't work with the ASI distribution. We have another Fighter/Wizard in the party so I'm hoping not to double up. DM does not allow Sorcerer or Warlock classes)

You don't have the stats to multiclass wizard, bard, sorcerer, paladin or warlock anyways. Expeditious retreat would have been a nice option otherwise.

# Picking up Magic initiate (would have to be Wizard), War caster and Spell sniper at level 8, 12 and 14
The idea is to have booming blade or green flame blade. But the problem with this is getting to level 14 first before these spells have any actual use. Plus, also giving up 3 levels of ASI which may be detrimental to overall fighter build.

Bad idea

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

War Cleric and shoring up your bow attacks look like the best multiclass option.
Fighter and just raising dex with your additional ASI's looks like another great option.

War Cleric will be better for now. Fighter option won't be far behind and will surpass at level 11 before falling behind again until the multiclass variant get's the 3rd fighter attack.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases