Poll - Best Old School Starting Adventure to Run for Teens

Which of these modules is best starting point for ADVENTURE?

• B3 (Palace of the Silver Princess)

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • B4 (The Lost City)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • B5 (Horror on the Hill)

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • N1 (Against the Cult of the Reptile God)

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • T1 (The Village of Hommlet)

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • U1 (The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh)

Votes: 10 33.3%

• Poll closed .

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Option B, Tomb of Horrors.

But do it with level 1 PC's; there's less of a learning curve that way, and they're all going to die anyways, so...

Shiroiken

Legend
If you plan to continue with the other adventures, T1 is best leading into the Temple of Elemental Evil. That's a campaign unto itself. U1 is pretty good too if you detail out Saltmarsh, using it as a base of operations, then moving into U2 and U3. B3, B4, and N1 are good adventures, but they are self contained, preventing much adventure beyond themselves. I honestly don't remember B5, so no opinion on it.

Some other options to consider would be B1-9 In Search of Adventure, which is a mega-adventure that takes some of the best from B1-B9 (duh). It gives the party a home base and several adventure hooks (several of which lead into others), but it's done in a way that the players have to choose which adventures to pursue, because due to time and other adventurers, they can't all be done.

A good adventure for building off of, similar to B2 is The Secret of Bone Hill (L1). Not only does it provide several adventure points that can be expanded upon, but there are also followup adventures in L2 and L3.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
I also voted for T1, though B4 is a very close second.

If you want some serious old-school Gygaxian feel, then T1 it is IMO.

As you probably know, the boathouse is pretty darn deadly for 1st level characters as written (starting with the rotten drawbridge!), so either adjust accordingly or make sure you drop hints that discretion is the better part of valor...

aco175

Legend
I voted Horror on the Hill since I recall it had a few good things like a dragon and ogres. I was going to say Hommlet because I like the pirate undead parts, but town adventures may not be for everyone and 1e town adventure ind of sucked, at least to me.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases